Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing you've been talking about British Comedy and also Germans, here's an episode from the best of the best, timeless Brit comedy and it has German subtitles to boot!

Good morning. 32 degrees with clear skies and an expected high in the 60's by this afternoon. Physical therapy
again this morning. After this PT will only be one day a week instead of two.

Beady - Good news about your shoulder. Hope everything works out for you.

Chuck - The close coupling is really nice with these units. For years F units have had the problem of being too far apart when coupled. I have had to do a lot of work changing couplers and moving coupler pockets to get them closer. Finally Walthers did a good job with the Mainline F-7's I recent got. I have some diaphragms I could install on them but many railroads stopped putting them in. The decision is still up in the air because they are already so close together.

Greg - Love the photo from the F&SM. What a layout.

Patrick
- Like the bridge. Is it a lift out or a duck under?

Willie - Again nice photos. It's nice to see a scene come together. Sure like it when the plywood disappears.

I did run trains for quite a while yesterday and worked the little 70 ton switcher as it runs so smoothly at low speeds. Here it is picking up a box car at the limber yard. All of the lumber in the bins of the Atlas lumber yard are scale strip wood cut to length. The old model T belongs to the owner that he is restoring.

thumbnail_20190417_103741.jpg

Later

The close coupling , belive it or not , came like that out of the box .
i must investigate further into the couplings . no paperwork came with the locos
Those couplings are dummys, made of plastic. They were fitted to all of Proto's cab bodied locos, probably a hangover from LifeLike when Walthers took them over. My PA/PB's had them as well. Great for keeping the locos together, but a bit of coach weight behind and they soon failed. One of the part manufacturers did a kit tp replace them using Kadee #30's, but there's a bit of work to fit them. I've got 1 packet somewhere, I'll try and find it for the makers name and part #. I eventuallt fitted #5 short shanks, but they still leave a gap.

Those couplings are dummys, made of plastic. They were fitted to all of Proto's cab bodied locos, probably a hangover from LifeLike when Walthers took them over. My PA/PB's had them as well. Great for keeping the locos together, but a bit of coach weight behind and they soon failed. One of the part manufacturers did a kit tp replace them using Kadee #30's, but there's a bit of work to fit them. I've got 1 packet somewhere, I'll try and find it for the makers name and part #. I eventuallt fitted #5 short shanks, but they still leave a gap.
Hi Toot
yes any info would be great thank you
as you say they are light plastic , and again as you pointed out, a bit of a load on and i cant see them holding up to the job .

Chuck

Good morning everyone. 72 and cloudy out there. Thunderboomies came through and woke us up at 1:30 this morning. I'm dead tired. Need more coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

Greetings -- Presently 65? ...Supposed to be 81? today ... Weather Underground has been all over lately - If I click on history - it gives me Carlsbad?

TemeculaWeather.com says Presently 61? with a high of 88?

I'll just look at my own chepo China made weather clock!

This was on FB this morning ....
band aid.jpg

Patrick - Like the bridge. Is it a lift out or a duck under?

It is a lift which still needs adjustment. I am recovering from the train wreck it caused when my E7 hit the rail and flipped onto the bench work and then the floor. I may have to do something a little different as I don't want to trim the railings on the bridge.

Afternoon All,

Spent most of the day loading my favorite web addresses into the laptop, but it's done...finally.

Garry- Sorry to hear about you're MIL's decline. Safe travels.

Willie- Nice scene. The red dot is a great low tech solution. I would of never thought of it.

Chet- Nice layout scene.

Chuck- Nice painting job on the nose.

Sherrel- Now that is hilarious!

I hope everyone has a good night.

86 degrees 33% Humidity as we speak.
Had a laugh - says the feel like temp is 84 ... Spousal Unit says that's waaay off!
What can I say?
House is mine (and the dogs) B-Unit has MIL duty again until Monday. I was instructed to take down a cople Easter Boxes and bring them to the MIL's house for Easter dinner soes she can do a little decor.

I spent a couple hours at the Mutt Park yesterday and there were only 4 other dogs there. One of the guests was a 13 YO Golden Retriever which was good for my larger, older, soon to be 13, herself girl. The two of them mosied and strolled around paying no attention to the younger generation running around like banshees.
The electric was shut down for about 3 hours while a transformer was swapped out in the neighborhood -- surprise -- the solar shuts down as well?

Patrick -- You scare me running a loco around that without a piece of cardboard, or something, to prevent what just happened?

CURT -- I m still waiting to hear that you have "back up" for your computer -- either plug-in thumbie things or a portable HD? I have a plug-in HD ... My failure is to NOT USE IT frequent enough!

The electric was shut down for about 3 hours while a transformer was swapped out in the neighborhood -- surprise -- the solar shuts down as well?
Unless a system is a standalone and not feeding excess generation back into the grid, it will shut down automatically to protect it from overloading it's inverter.

Hi Toot
yes any info would be great thank you
as you say they are light plastic , and again as you pointed out, a bit of a load on and i cant see them holding up to the job .

Chuck
The diaphragms on them work very well. When I still had those couplers fitted, I could run the engines (ABBA) through 2 #6 turnouts that were back to back, left and right, that used to be at the entrance to the club's main yard, never had a problem with binding. The doors within them on the PA's are spring loaded so they open and close, likewise the side doors by the cabin.

Good Afternoon Everyone.....still overcast and cool.

Just was down in the train room doing odds and ends. Found a package of brass washers (thrust washers) for Athearn locomotives it was marked $2.95 for twenty washers. Saw I need to buy some more metal wheels sets on my next trip to Walthers.

Looked at an Atlas turnout that in an odd location and the points need major cleaning. Lots of discoloration and dirty. Looks like the CenterLine cars don't clean all track related areas. Maybe need to inspect all the turnouts.

Had the 70T locomotive still pulling a Centerline car and the locomotive is getting real quiet when running.

Still looking for a box of ore cars that I can't find. I want several strings of ore cars on different sidings.

Later.....

Greg

Train show next weekend. Headed out to a hobby shop that specializes in vehicles and detail parts for trucks.They have many scales,farm,construction,and trucks. Need to find a few intermodal cranes or forklift type loaders.

Just bought another MRL loco on "the bay". A listed as new, Atlas SD35 #702 @ US$85 which is half it's original MSRP. DCC ready of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back