Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg, I am curious how these decals work. Do you simply purchase the special paper and run them through a regular printer?

Dave: Apparently, the instructions just suggest running the decal paper through an Ink Jet printer and then apply as you would a regular decal.

Here's some instructions from the web: Product Information. Hobby-Cal Water-slide decal paper provides exceptional print quality with InkJet or Bubble Jet type printers. The paper has a special coating that absorbs inks so they cannot run in water. No over-sprays are needed. Non printed areas of the decal can be done in white or clear.

I'm not sure about using a decal setting solution. I'm using white paper and I get more information tomorrow when I go to Walthers.

I'll post my results in a different Thread.

Greg

[QUOTE="GarryCBQ, post: 453982, member: 4811"]Where is everybody this evening ? .... Did Sherrel's ticks chase people away ?[/QUOTE]

Garry:
No, but I think the news story of ticks taking over Central Park probably did. :rolleyes:

Sherrel's probably still out celebrating, and the rest of the forum is watching the Basketball tournaments.

Weather today, was mighty fine, 78° and mostly sunny. Temperature has dropped into the upper 50s. Whatever it is at Midnight, will be tomorrows high temperature.

Boris

Don't know about everyone else -- 72 was our high today and with the intense sun it felt much warmer.
Went to the doggie park with the mutts ---- drove around looking at a few flowers --- and the mountain just east of us which is next to Palm Springs
park.jpg
flowers02.jpg
mountain snow.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience with Tichy car kits?
I want to get a few of their ore cars and pulpwood flats.
1552713389948.png
1552713500486.png

Do they come with trucks, couplers?
If they do - are they any good?

Good Morning All. 56° and raining and a lot of high winds. At 4:30 it was 64° and then the thunderstorm moved in. We're under a severe thunderstorm warning right now, however it appears that the major action has moved east of me already, although one can never tell with these March storms. Watch out Johnny, looks like it will hit you around 10:00. So far the rain gauge has .75" in it for the first hour. This will all be over before noon and the temperature will top out at 75° with humidity!
After some good-natured kidding the past two days, my wife did our taxes yesterday during a lull in her H&R Block workload. WOW! We're getting the biggest refund ever, $1600, due to her over-withholding last spring. I always aimed for zero or a minimal refund because I don't want the government using my money interest-free all year. Most of the last thirty years, the refund was less than $25, and one year was 40¢. Our overall tax liability went down considerably last year, due to the new exemption amounts and overall brackets. In my case, it looks like Nancy P. was wrong.

Thanks for the comments and likes from yesterdays layout pictures, Joe, Tom, Dave, Garry, Chet, Curt and anyone else that I may have missed.

Another day in the train shed with minimal scenery results. I did add some details to the backyard, but it is taking some time to hang those clothes on the clothesline like Chet did in post #361 on Monday. As he posted, "It was a pain in the butt project", but I did get the first pair of pants up finally.
Moving on to a "waiting for further scenery" part of the layout, here is a small non-rail served grain and seed dealer. The base model is a cheapo freight house model called Williamsburg Freight House by AM Models. To the left is an outhouse , still common in rural Texas in the 70's and early 80's which covers part of my era.
View attachment 35104
Here is a background low-relief structure made from DPM modular walls, that's also a feed, seed and fertilizer dealer with incoming rail shipments.
View attachment 35105
Sorry about the angle here. Yes, that broken drainpipe by the left door is intentional. Note the water-stained brick below the break.
And I have trains too! Here is a triple-headed lash-up of GP40X's, an experimental diesel from EMD. ATSF had 10 of the 23 produced.
View attachment 35106

Johnny - Did you see Mike's answer regarding the PM's, now called "Conversations"?
Mark - Always glad to see the pictures of the snow, someplace else!;) If I recall correctly, you have to first post movies on You Tube and then link them. I have never joined YT which is why none of my movies have ever been posted. There may be another way, but I am not aware of it.
Dave - That backside view is very good. Were you able to save those structures?
Chet - Now that looks like a train!;)

On a good note, the thunderstorm warning has been cancelled and there is now .9" in the gauge. The high wind advisory is still in effect.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie: On the Plains Grain, did you paint either-of the guys ? Very good detail !

Louis: I used to accompany my father to a "Billiards Parlour" owned by a fanatic Philly "A's" follower. He had a poster sized autographed photo, of Lefty grove framed and hanging on the wall along with other A's memorabilia. His baseball stuff would keep me occupied while dad shot pool.
I have long been of the opinion, that the wrong team left Philadelphia, and I still feel that way.

Boris , I can easily understand how that stuff could keep you occupied. The man who raised me gave me a deep love and appreciation of baseball history. I spent many a rainy day in the library reading baseball reference books that could not be checked out.

Thanks for sharing that with me.

Does anyone here have any experience with Tichy car kits?
I want to get a few of their ore cars and pulpwood flats.
View attachment 35186View attachment 35187
Do they come with trucks, couplers?
If they do - are they any good?

I have built a few Tichy Freight Car kits and found them to be wonderful and like them the best of the car kits available now-a-days! I've built a couple of the Bulkhead flat Cars you've shown and a War Emergency Gondola. I haven't built any of the Ore Cars but would not hesitate to do so. I simply don't need anymore Ore Cars.

Bruette, Baltomore made the Nnational News yesterday with a Big Time Derailment out your way. Cars falling off a bridge and all!

Good Morning Everybody. 37° and clear. Fair weather for the next week at least. Mostly sunny, mid-60's and gradually diminishing pressure. Busy day planned today, finally looks like a chance to remove the defunct washing machine from out by the barn and get it to the recycler, (scrap dealer). Won't get much, maybe $3.25, but I'll take some other scrap steel and about 50 pounds of aluminum which more than pays for the trip and still provides some hobby cash. Mainly it keeps it from going into the landfill. This evening it's a 60 mile trip to Dallas to both wish my daughter a happy 41st birthday (my they grow up quickly!) and then go celebrate my best man's wife's 65th. Then the ride home. Everything is far away from where we live! Needless to say, I'll be taking a long nap this afternoon to prepare.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I resumed some scenicking, (I got that word from Johnny). I have changed my mind several times on the last 2" x 5" space that's left. It's too small for any meaningful structure and I think that I have settled on a small park along the track with some railfans and homeless persons. The location is across the street from the panhandler that I pictured a couple of weeks ago.

Dave - I like yesterday's shot of the iron & steel fabricator.
Chet - Regarding mixed power on trains. There was a short period of time in the early 80's when ATSF used to have to mix whatever they had, F45's sandwiched between SD45's; GP20's and GP30u's mixed with SD40-2's. They had an influx of business and couldn't get new power soon enough. The only RR with surplus power in this area was SP and ATSF didn't want any of their under-maintained equipment on their rails. The only ATSF B-units with geeps that I saw was in the '68-'73 period. The Frisco ones that I regularly saw, ended around '75 or '76.
Mike - Enjoy building that bridge.
Garry - Enjoy that trip to Utah. We have a full May schedule including my 50th high school reunion, two grandson's birthdays, etc. Besides my wife isn't interested al all.
Beady - I can't match the five-way turnout, but that couple sure makes it around. Excuse the photo quality as i was trying not to be noticed.
03-16-19 001.001.JPG

David -
Willie: On the Plains Grain, did you paint either-of the guys ? Very good detail !
I painted the one on the right. The one on the left came from either a Woodland Scenics set or a Walther's Scenemaster set. The soft drink machine was made from re-sizing pictures on the net and editing them on the computer.

Here's a couple of random scenes.
03-16-19 003.JPG

03-16-19 007.JPG

Everyone have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Good Morning.....short and sweet and out to Walthers.

Bruette: Excellent choice....Chicago....I seen them in concert in the late 60's or very early 70's just after they changed their name to Chicago from CTA.

Sherrel: No fair showing myself, Chet and Mark and others the photographs of warm, beautiful weather when we suffer in the cold and damp late winter weather.

Later....

Greg

Good morning. 47° and sunny. Today's high temperature was 59° at midnight. Yesterday was fantastic, with an afternoon high of 78°, actually a good beach day. Today will be a tad too cool and breezy for the beach.

Sherrel: In spite of comments to the contrary, your photos prove that Cali is a nice place to live. Tichy kits are quite nice, I have a wreck derrick to build, that's a dead ringer for the West Philly Wreck Train derrick. One of the model railroading forums has a couple of build threads from a couple of years ago, I just don't remember which one. Tichy's "War Emergency" gonds, might be perfect for Panel Rail cars.

Thanks for sharing that with me.
Louis: My pleasure.

Willie: Again, nice detail work. Like the photos. You did forget to paint Ed. Norton's vest, coming out of the sewer. ;) Great scene.
Mark: I never realized that that curve was so sharp approaching North Ave. Unfortunately, the wreck was a little hard to hide from the media. That was a definite "stringline" wreck. BCFD spokespeople seemed overly disappointed that there was no fire or explosion, or no casualties.
Tom: Ten shades of brown is better than snow, any day. My lawn suddenly started greening, yesterday. Now, I have to get the mower worked up.

Hope y'all have a great weekend. Just don't over do the Bushmills and the Guiness! ;)

Boris

Sherrel: No fair showing myself, Chet and Mark and others the photographs of warm, beautiful weather when we suffer in the cold and damp late winter weather.
Later...Greg
Any of you - with/without - companions are welcome to get out of the "brown" as Tom calls it!
I'll even pick you up at the train station, or airport!

Sherrel: In spite of comments to the contrary, your photos prove that Cali is a nice place to live. Tichy kits are quite nice, I have a wreck derrick to build, that's a dead ringer for the West Philly Wreck Train derrick. One of the model railroading forums has a couple of build threads from a couple of years ago, I just don't remember which one. Tichy's "War Emergency" gonds, might be perfect for Panel Rail cars. Boris

I was looking at that derrick -- looks like a nice one to have around -- I think you need a mini scene with a couple derailed cars in the ditch and the derrick doing it's thing. Don't see things like that on most model layouts.

YES, these days are exactly why I stick around .. I even love the 100 degrees we will reach later on. If it were not for the days like yesterday (and today's 74) I would be on the first train outta here. Just wish the politics was diffenent, but then with Colorado's trying to legislate away the electrocal college - it's not going to be any better no matter where you are.

Boris/Mark .. Thanks for the comments on the Tichy cars. How about the trucks? I see that the ore cars come with .. How about the flats and gons?
Are they good, or need replacement?

Tom: Boris said,"Ten shades of brown is better than snow, any day. My lawn suddenly started greening, yesterday."

When we hit the dry season all thos pretty hills will be brown as well!

Time for more Java!

When we hit the dry season all thos pretty hills will be brown as well!
Believe it or not, that's where the "golden state" slogan comes from, when everything turns golden brown. NOT when you dig the metal out of the ground, or the local authorities remove as much of your gold as possible at tax-time.

[QUOTE="Sirfoldalot, post: 454006, member: 2010"]Boris/Mark .. Thanks for the comments on the Tichy cars. How about the trucks? I see that the ore cars come with .. How about the flats and gons?
Are they good, or need replacement?[/QUOTE]

Sherrel: According to Tichy, their proprietary trucks are included, along with an adapter for use with "other" brand trucks. No couplers are included, but the pocket will accept Kadee #5.

Note their kits come as single cars or in 6 packs. I have my eyes on their General Service Tank Cars.

I think you need a mini scene with a couple derailed cars in the ditch and the derrick doing it's thing. Don't see things like that on most model layouts.

The "average" Wreck Train consisted of a Derrick, a flat car for the boom overhang, cables and blocking etc., a tender car for fuel oil and water, a tool car, and a crew riding car. Diesel derricks did not require the tender. Some trains also had gondolas or flat cars for 39' track panels. (Prototype Snap Track. Normally, they were stored adjacent to the Enginehouse, where the derrick could be supplied with stationary steam in the winter. On a model railroad, a wreck train would be a stationary display, although "The Model Railroad Club of Union, NJ" dispatched their train(s) whenever there was a derailment on the club layout.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back