Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris, I'm sorry to hear about your taxes. El Supremo is not making any friends in the blue states. His own stupidity and arrogance will be his undoing, thank God. When we look back after 2020, at least we can say these 4 years were interesting. It's like watching the weather on TV when a storm is coming. They make us think we are doomed, but we will survive this storm.

No matter how they spin it, the bottom line is all that matters.

I was amused last night, reading that the Munchkin has been delegated with the task of convincing us Minions that El Supremo's tax increase is in "our" interests... I could see this happening when the reforms were passed, but I kept quiet until I actually saw my personal results. They have effectively transferred more of the tax burden to the people in the middle. Withholding was not a factor, as I compensated for the decrease in withholding by increasing my estimated tax payments. My income did not increase significantly, and my itemized deductions were similar to the previous year. The standard deduction actually came in higher than the itemized deductions, so I can only conclude that my tax rate increased.
That, is not a political statement, it's a fact. And to me that's a tax increase., which goes along with healthcare insurance premium increases and other fixed cost increases, not covered by the COLA we grudgingly receive most years.

Any further ragging on about this isn't going to change things, so I'm just going to face the new reality and adopt defensive measures. meanwhile in less than two years, this nightmare should be over.

Boris

Good morning. 22 degrees and light snow.

There sure was some great photos posted. I am a fan of electrics and here are some oldies I have found of the Pennsy. As old as Joe is, he is probably familiar with a lot of them. View attachment 34391

View attachment 34392

View attachment 34393

View attachment 34394

View attachment 34395

View attachment 34396

Curt - That building is really coming along nicely. A masterpiece for your layout.

I did get to run trains for a while, but it is really frustrating that I can't work on the layout in areas that I can't reach with this bum arm.

Here's a rail picture for today.

View attachment 34397

Later

Chet: Old? o_O:eek: I am familiar with the DD1, which is at the Strasburg Museum, The B1s used to be in Harrisburg, Philly and NY, but by my time, only in NY. The GG1, of course I actually ran, and the FF1 which came from the GN was long gone by my time. Motors are neat, my preference was the E44, short hood lead with the windows closed. The ex VGN, ex N&W, ex NH E-33s a close second.

Boris

Joe - Thanks for the input. I wish I know more about the electrics running on the east coast. Grew up on the wrong side of the country. Here are a few more.

8792.1314022815.jpg

ECPRRLindenE44.jpg

8176373952_c98cfa858d_b.jpg

23553497590_c0c1a39313_b.jpg

Never got to see these beasts as they were used in the Cascades.

gn5013.jpg

Great_Northern_electric_locomotive_Y-1_1927.JPG

Milwaukee Road Railroad GE Electric Train 1971.JPG

I am familiar with the box cabs as I spent a lot of time riding in them when I was a kid.

CSSSB800MichiganCity.jpg

I also saw the South Shore Little Joe. Seeing the Milwaukee Road Joes, it blew my mind when I saw them on the South Shore. Took many a trip on the old steel commuter cars visiting relatives in Indiana.

Last edited:
That's our "kinder gentler" version of Karl.

Oh do not mistake my more genteel disposition for a kinder, gentler me. You may not fully experience my reaction to things that offend/upset/rattle/trigger or piss me off. I may even seem to laugh it off. as I have gotten older I've learned that youth and enthusiasm will succumb to age and treachery every time. ;)

Good Morning Everyone..........clear and cold in this part of Wisconsin.

Yesterday we did get to the former Milwaukee Road friegth yards in the Menomonee Valley of Milwaukee and the yard is a mere shell if its former self. Many grain cars being unloaded, but didn't see any switching operations. Lots of old abandoned buildings.

Lots of great railroad pictures! Thanks.

Read that the UP Butler Yards are being down sized and a trip along the yard a month ago I saw the tracks being ripped up and dismantled. The UP maintenance shops are being closed. Butler, Wisconsin is a town built because of the railroad.

Layout later today.

Later....

Greg

######################

Karl, Jim, Louis, and Chet..... Thanks very much for posting great photos !

Jim ..... I recall the location in East Dubuque, IL. ... The IC line crossed BN there after crossing the Mississippi River and then entered the tunnel.

Chet ...... If a certain Congresswoman sees those photos, she will demand all freight trains be electrified. :rolleyes:

Oh happy day! The sun is shinning with about 10% cloud cover - temp is 46 going towards 54?
More railfall is projected for Saturday and Sunday.

TOOT - I'm with JIM .. You can please fill my glass with that giant margarita. (good one Jim) That is an unbelievable amount of water to fall from the sky. I saw what the 54 inches did to some of my cousins in Texas - can't fathom 50% more on top of that.

This will probably be my last post for a while.
It's been fun!

Oh do not mistake my more genteel disposition for a kinder, gentler me. You may not fully experience my reaction to things that offend/upset/rattle/trigger or piss me off. I may even seem to laugh it off. as I have gotten older I've learned that youth and enthusiasm will succumb to age and treachery every time. ;)
Now you remind me of George H. W. Bush, he may have had a gentle disposition, but when it came time to "open a can of whip ass" he did that with the utmost efficiency.

I haven't read the "green new deal", but (no pun intended) it has me wondering, how do you get cows to reduce farting?

Afternoon all, hope you all survived V-Day. Took my wife out for her birthday, yep, same day. I think I earned some good points to use on train stuff this year. Ordered her a custom printed book detailing our life together thus far, bought her a new phone (our son broke the other one), and a nice steak dinner. Bought myself a new phone and some train cars. All in all, a good day. Gotta get back to the grind now, this addiction hasn’t figured out how to find itself yet. Y’all have a good one.

Hey, I saw Sherrill’s post about being gone for a while. He didn’t take any animals with him, did he?

Back again...........

Changed my Avatar to the new mine which replaced the original New River Mine. The mine really stands out when you first enter the layout room even through its approximately nine feet away from the layout entrance.

The big push on the layout is adding more lighting effects. These really bring a layout alive as well as adding little people on the layout.

The Mrs. is purchasing me several more large plastic storage containers to clear off a shelf in the expansion area for the new freight yard. The containers keep the contents dry and semi-organized and they can be stacked to save room. The containers will hold basically scenery materials.

Lunch time..........

Greg

Last edited:
Donner Pass trip update. Just boarded the train in Reno 2 hours late. Now we sit for another hour while they plow the pass. Lots of snow last night. Dave
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I haven't read the "green new deal", but (no pun intended) it has me wondering, how do you get cows to reduce farting?
I think the idea is to reduce the number of cows, and make people eat more veggies.
Unfortunately, that will only transfer the greenhouse gas emissions from cows to people. I can only imagine where things will go from there...

I think the idea is to reduce the number of cows, and make people eat more veggies.
Unfortunately, that will only transfer the greenhouse gas emissions from cows to people. I can only imagine where things will go from there...

hi believe they're primarily targeting beef cattle. But what will we do that dairy cows when they are gone? no milk no cheese? I don't think I can live in a world like that! Annie Get Your Gun!

Afternoon All,

Did some chores then attached the mounted building details (except billboards). Next step is weathering which will probably be Sunday. After that the last thing to do is build the lean to on the backside of the building.

Joe- Thank you.

Toot- WOW on that rain total.

Louis- Nice pictures.

Chet- Thank you. I love the Pennsy box cabs and would really like a P5 that BLI is coming out with, but now that I'm retired I can't justify the price tag to myself. Such is life:).

Garry- Now that's funny.

20190215_144715-2016x980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back