What's Your Favorite Model Locomotive?

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I have a bunch of HO locomotives and I been trying to decide which one is my favorite or if I even have a single favorite locomotive. In the running for my favorite is 80 Ton Bachmann Shay with sound, a Milwaukee ALCO with LokSound, a MR&T Dash 8 also with LokSound or my first locomotive with factory installed DCC, a BNSF GP38 #2177. I like all of them.

I a diesel fanatic, but the Shay is neat to watch while it take its time running around the layout.

Which is your favorite locomotive and what makes it special?

Thanks.

Greg

My favorite is the PFM Frisco 2-10-0. It is a "chunky" smaller steamer easily rounds 18 radius and will pull 8-10 cars up a grade.
I have always liked the smaller steam locos - not the big guys.

I have 5 HO diesels. A Athearn NS SD40-2, a Athearn CSX SD40-2, a Athearn Bessemer & Lake Erie SD38, a Athearn GP35 and a Bachmann Spectrum 45-tonner. I have DC-only, but all of them run very well. I really don't have a favorite, as I carefully chose before I purchased. I like all of them equally and run their wheels off.

Well of course it has to be a switcher. I built 4 of these Progressive units. This one is my favorite though.

20150117_180050.jpg

Last edited:
Bruette, Huh? Are you lost again?

Different than anyone; but, Sherrel, I'm partial to Steam Locomotives. This is my Northern Pacific Q-5 Pacific, made from a Bachmann Light Pacific. It's not necessarily my favorite; but, it's one that I found a photo of.
HPIM7899 (3).JPG

Mine have to be my old Atlas Alco RS units with their Kato drive. I got them when they were first introduced in the late 80's or early 90's. I was so impressed that I ended up with a dozen of them. They still run like new after many many hours of use. They's all my favorite.

Herd of Alcos.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Sherrel! Truth is I'm not real sure what an N.P. Q-5 looks like, so I changed the headlight to look more like an N.P.'s headlight, added fences at the location of the turbine on the top of the boiler, just ahead of the cab, gave the tires white sidewalls, added real coal to the tender and lightly weathered it and called it ready to haul passenger trains. Oh, the loco is a Bachmann USRA Light Pacific with sound. Nice runner and hasn't failed yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliment Sherrel! Truth is I'm not real sure what an N.P. Q-5 looks like, so I changed the headlight to look more like an N.P.'s headlight, added fences at the location of the turbine on the top of the boiler, just ahead of the cab, gave the tires white sidewalls, added real coal to the tender and lightly weathered it and called it ready to haul passenger trains. Oh, the loco is a Bachmann USRA Light Pacific with sound. Nice runner and hasn't failed yet!

MARK - You have the disc of MR … I can not remember the month, but it was prior to 1980 that featured a small diorama type layout with a divider down the middle so it looked like the train ran through it - not r de r. The feature loco was a NP Pacific - I would assume a Q-5?
It was the feature article for that month and done by someone in the NW - Seattle - Tacoma?

I like all of them, steam and diesel. For the longest time the F3 & 7s were it for me but after picking up some SD-45s recently and the older high hood EMD SD7/9s I have to say that on the track both the SD45s and SD7/9 high hoods really appeal me. When I was a kid in the early 80s my grandpa had a big layout in his basement with all Lionel O steam and diesel engines loco's. His SD7s going around his track were by far my favorite, ..As a kid I remember seeing alot of the real life Chessie engines go by on the local crossings as well. Chessie was always my favorite locomotive color scheme.
Resized_20190212_103914_4707 (1).jpeg
Resized_20190214_114650_9322.jpeg

Last edited:

Back