L shape HO layout plan suggestion

Ok then. Here is one concept. An out and back design where a train is made up in the yard. It is sent out and runs as many loops as desired. Goes through the reversing loop and returns to the yard as a "different" train to be worked. The yard is over the other tracks allowing a minimum of 22" radius curves. Add industries and a passing/run around track somewhere and it can be a vary active and challenging layout. This is a massive yard for this size of a layout and could be made smaller to increase the other industrial opportunities. It could also be reconfigured with 18" radius curves that would further increase yard and industrial possibilities.

View attachment 34230
Wow, very cool. I like it alot. It's similar to what I was looking at but more to do. This is what I was considering. What do u think of it. Maybe combine attributes of yours with this? I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. When it's all said and done send me your address and I'll send you out a lot or something for all your help!
Screenshot_20190208-072143.png

This is what I was considering. What do u think of it. Maybe combine attributes of yours with this? I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. When it's all said and done send me your address and I'll send you out a lot or something for all your help!
That is a nice plan. The Lakeshore would be much easier to build than the concept I proposed as it is all on 1 level. It is also all 22" radius. I like the mine, but then I always like mines. And the other industries would be interesting to switch because of the switchback. I always like switch backs.

What I notice most is that it has no yard, which I thought was your #1 requirement. It isn't designed for 2 train operation. It could be a 2 train operation with one orbiting the main while anothee is working the industries, but there is no easy way to swap the one orbiting with the one working without stopping both and then "backing" one of them onto the main, or into the industrial area. Or having them both meet and "pass" at the mine.

Having said that I see how one could add a small yard by moving the center hump further to the right (in red). There are are also a few other places where some industries could be squeeked in without loosing all open space.
Lakeshore Southern 1.jpg

Last edited:
That is a nice plan. The Lakeshore would be much easier to build than the concept I proposed as it is all on 1 level. It is also all 22" radius. I like the mine, but then I always like mines. And the other industries would be interesting to switch because of the switchback. I always like switch backs.

What I notice most is that it has no yard, which I thought was your #1 requirement. It isn't designed for 2 train operation. It could be a 2 train operation with one orbiting the main while anothee is working the industries, but there is no easy way to swap the one orbiting with the one working without stopping both and then "backing" one of them onto the main, or into the industrial area. Or having them both meet and "pass" at the mine.

Having said that I see how one could add a small yard by moving the center hump further to the right (in red). There are are also a few other places where some industries could be squeeked in without loosing all open space.
View attachment 34239
Hey. Thanks so much. Don't mind my ignorance lol but I thought the area on the right inside the loop was.the yard lol. What you added in red could be the yard for sure but after seeing your plan I like it better.

Hey. Thanks so much. Don't mind my ignorance lol but I thought the area on the right inside the loop was.the yard lol. What you added in red could be the yard for sure but after seeing your plan I like it better.
The only thing that might be a bit daunting to me on your design is the yard above the track. There just never seems to be enough room lol.

Just for perspective here is the same layout concept on a 4'x8' with 18' radius curves. Once again a huge yard for this small of a layout.
20190212_171730[1].jpg

Just for perspective here is the same layout concept on a 4'x8' with 18' radius curves. Once again a huge yard for this small of a layout.
View attachment 34308
Wow! It really is. It's alot easier to grasp the size when it's down on the table and not on paper. I really like what u did with the yard on the layout I picked. I think for a first layout after a long absense it will be good for me. Not too complicated and all one level. Plus I will have another 4x8 sheet so there's plenty of room.

Another one using 18" radius curves. Needs more industries and could be made less curvy. I'll attempt to add a yard to the plan you found next.
P&WOAKLAWN 2.jpg

As I said earlier. The layout you found with an added yard. I originally drew the yard straight with the edge of the table, but then added a short curve to make it not so parallel. And you know, looking at it now, I would have added the extra track to the opposite side going down into the space made by tilting the yard.
P&WOAKLAWN 3.jpg

Last edited:
As I said earlier. The layout you found with an added yard. I originally drew the yard straight with the edge of the table, but then added a short curve to make it not so parallel. And you know, looking at it now, I would have added the extra track to the opposite side going down into the space made by tilting the yard.
View attachment 34341
Very nice. I like all the layouts you have drawn up. I'm going to have to come to some decision. I'm working on the benchwork tomorrow. I picked up the 1x4s yesterday

It just seems to me that you need a reverse loop in there somewhere in order for the train to return to the yard/s without having to back in?

It just seems to me that you need a reverse loop in there somewhere in order for the train to return to the yard/s without having to back in?
Yes, as drawn it is a "one way" yard. So to run clockwise one would have to "back" out of the yard to start, when running counter clockwise one would have to back into the yard when done.

I didn't even realize that was a mine lol. To be honest I don't want the mine. I thought it was some sort of yard. Id like to remove the mine
Easy enough to arrange any of the tracks to make them fit any industry. There are many industries that could have several close tracks. Thinking of a cement plant. Spacing could be changed to make it into a meat packing plant, lumber yard, heavy machine shop.... That is the cool thing about the spurs for industries. Easy to change, easy to reconfigure.

Yes, as drawn it is a "one way" yard. So to run clockwise one would have to "back" out of the yard to start, when running counter clockwise one would have to back into the yard when done.

I'll definitely be changing that.
Easy enough to arrange any of the tracks to make them fit any industry. There are many industries that could have several close tracks. Thinking of a cement plant. Spacing could be changed to make it into a meat packing plant, lumber yard, heavy machine shop.... That is the cool thing about the spurs for industries. Easy to change, easy to reconfigure.
Yes if I did go with it I would definitely space them out and maybe even remove one. I like the yard on the bottom where you drew it.

Back