Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
We received word yesterday that GM is, in conjuncture with Microsoft, ending support for Windows 7 at the end of the year. Oh Happy day :rolleyes::( IMHO, windoze 10 sucks!
Then they sent a list of "acceptable" PC's and laptops that had Win 10 for sale. Like their cars, grossly overpriced if purchased from GM.

If it's Windoze 10, probably 2.5 hours, depending on your internet connection. Microsoft now sends out complete operating systems through the internet twice a year.
You should know me by now, of course it's Microsoft's Windows 10! :) The safest, the latest and the greatest! :)

I was surprised the HP laptop instantly came on after being on the shelf for over a year. I was equally and pleasantly surprised it quickly booted up! Also surprising that the battery charged enough in just a few minutes to make my slow journey down two flights of steps, with a bathroom break on the way and the little HP was still running after waiting for my old behind to get on the floor, run the wire through the desk and plug it back in!

It did not do any updates until I prompted it to do so and I restarted it. I set it up on the desk in the family room and it was displaying the blue screen "Windows is restarting please do not turn off your system..." blah blah blah yackety smackety, what ever it says. When I returned to my desk on the second floor. I love this house, but going up two flights of stairs before I knock all the rust off all of my arthritic joints is no fun.

I'll let you know. how long it takes. to update, if I go back down before it finishes. While I am up here I'm catching up my accounting software, I don't waste trips. I'm old half-broken down, but not stupid. In some ways at least,

Karl, it's all about security and profit. There is no profit in keeping out dated Operating Systems secure and hackers have nothing better to do. GM is protecting themselves from dealers outdated and less secure Operating Systems. It's easier to for hackers to get into GM's servers through outdated dealers computers.

Once you get use to windows 10 you won't want to go back, but the learning curve can be steep.

Stay positive and it will be easier. :)

If you have need to use Windows 10, but hate the user interface, you can download a small app called classic shell. What it does is convert all the tiles and locations back to a user interface that very closely resembles Windows 7. The app also works with Windows 8 and 8.1.
You can download it at www.classicshell.net. Download and install takes maybe 3 minutes.

Time for me to move, I can't sit for long. I might lock up and never move again. ;)

I doubt I'll be back up here before I go to work later and I have no clue how long my laptop will take to update so I will say; Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning All. 32° and cloudy to start the day here. Not going to warm up much over 40° until Monday when it returns to the 60's. Wind will pick up out of the east which usually brings moisture and inevitably rain by tomorrow. Monday starts a string of at least eight days of 60° days with no rain.
Why are the damn ads on the top of the page now? I have always whitelisted this site to help support it, even clicked on a few and read them, but I may have to invoke AdBlock now.:mad:
Yesterday was a household chores day on the SFW estate. Early peak tax season and my wife is working six days a week for a while more. Did laundry, dishes, swept and mopped several rooms, took out the trash, all along with bringing in firewood. Had to remop the floor since I had mud on my shoe that I tracked around!:confused: Today is grocery/beer trek day, I can go earlier and it isn't as crowded as Sunday.
Later I was able to spend some time out in the train shed. I wasn't interested in doing scenery yesterday so I just ran trains and did some general cleanup of the room. Same mud issue out there, no matter how much I wipe my feet. Took some pictures over the last two days.
First up is some sides of beef. I needed a way to mount them inside the slaughterhouse. After painting them, I glued them to a small piece of light-painted .020 styrene and glued them inside. I also added Tony the butcher and a few other details outside. You may not notice but Tony has only four fingers on his left hand!
02-09-19 004.001.JPG

02-09-19 005.JPG

Here's an "in progress" shot of the rear of the two structures.
02-09-19 007.JPG

Louis - Pretty scary picture of AOC that you posted in post # 346. I feel that she will be a source of entertainment for a couple of years. She has already shown that she missed both political science and economics classes in school.
Willie I had not considered the State and Local Tax deduction. Somebody is not trying to make friends in the blue states
As Garry posted,
I think your conversation about what the culture has become clearly shows government should stay out of personal lives. That also explains the demise of US cities.....Remarkably, the definition of government says nothing about being a source of funds to pay living expenses for individuals.
Maybe the blue states should cut back their welfare programs. Why do you think that all of the migrant caravans are going to CA instead of TX?
Chet - Wow! First the shoulder and now the ribs. It is Jack Daniels time. Get well soon. I get to hear stories like the free-loader almost every day during the early tax season. Then they take the online survey and blame my wife because they didn't get more!
Beady - You are quite correct that sometimes very good things come from ideas and proposals that seem outlandish before they are refined with some sensibility.
Greg - Ah yes. The trusted Weather Rock. I use one as well.
Mark -
Obviously to the rest of you weather is not as important as it is to me, as you give no details.
Weather is very important to me as well. While I don't post barometer readings (most don't know how to interpret them), they are also important. Several reasons weather is important out here in the boonies. I heat the house with wood exclusively so I have to be very forward looking to ensure a dry supply is always in the pipeline, as well as not overloading the stove and wasting fuel. I am also an avid organic gardener and planting times, harvest times and frost protection times are quite important. Thirdly, here in our part of Texas, snow/ice removal equipment is non-existent, so one always has to be aware of upcoming conditions for any needed travel, although I am pretty much self-sufficent for two or three weeks if need be.
Garry - Continued prayers and best wishes for your MIL.

Been busy here in the Coffee Shop and there are a few other posts that I would like to comment on, but I have run out of time for now.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie, Have you considered changing into a pair of slippers/whatever, and leaving your muddy shoes just inside the door?

I just finished doing my taxes, and, contrary to what the fearmongers have been screaming, I am getting $150 more this year than last, on the same income. That includes the $5 donation to a NC state-funded program to screen and treat low income women for breast cancer. I make a donation in some form every year to breast cancer treatments, as that is what my mother died from 20 years ago.

Terry I can't say how long the updates took, it was ready when I came down stairs, I'm using it now? I forget how to right click on a laptop do you know?

That;s good news about your taxes.

Willie I am all for helping people in need, but when they scam the system it bothers me. I say investigate and reform.

The caravans are seeking asylum, they can end up any where.

Nap time for me, again I'll say

Have a great day everybody!

Good Morning Everyone............clear and 3 degrees at Mitchell Field which is usually warmer than where we live due to the airport being a few miles from Lake Michigan and the lake water keeps things warmer.

Jim: I'll try to shoot a picture or two of the mine today or tomorrow. The pics are overdue.

Mark: Glad the furnace was repaired even at a premium. Cold weather and furnace failure is no fun. Back in 1976 my parents when for five days without power, water or heat due to a massive ice storm. Our apartment two miles away was unaffected.

Today plans are to program some Lok Sound locomotives and take pics before I had to leave to take the Mrs. for pizza.

Short 'n sweet.

Greg

Good Morning All,

I'm posting early today since I'll be at my Mom & Dad's house later. No modeling today, but I plan to get back at it tomorrow.

Greg- It sounded like a good train room day.

Terry- Good deal with the computer replacement.

Max- Neat pictures.

NP2626- Your observation is very true. Nothing fails when it's convenient .

Willie- Interesting details.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Mark -

Weather is very important to me as well. While I don't post barometer readings (most don't know how to interpret them), they are also important. Several reasons weather is important out here in the boonies. I heat the house with wood exclusively so I have to be very forward looking to ensure a dry supply is always in the pipeline, as well as not overloading the stove and wasting fuel. I am also an avid organic gardener and planting times, harvest times and frost protection times are quite important. Thirdly, here in our part of Texas, snow/ice removal equipment is non-existent, so one always has to be aware of upcoming conditions for any needed travel, although I am pretty much self-sufficent for two or three weeks if need be.

I used to heat with wood, it would take more than 10 cords to heat a complete winter. Then, luckly for me they invented Propane and my wishes where met and life became far easier!

The Barometer shows atmospheric pressure. Two Niner Point Niner Two, is the average Barometric Pressure. A rising Barometer shows movement towards a High Pressure system and generally clear air. A falling Barometer shows movement towards a Low Pressure system and generally stormy weather. Steady Pressure means little change is likely. None of this is written in blood!

Laptops seem to be the current topic.

I have a 7(?)-year-old Toshiba running Windows 10. Couple of years ago the battery stopped charging. I bought a new battery, but that wouldn't charge, either. I went on line and found it was a known problem, but none of the fixes would work. After thinking about it, I realized that between my phone and tablet there's no reason for the computer to leave the basement. So, I bought a UPS and pretend that the laptop is a desktop. Problem solved.

Morning Chaps! Hi Flo -- just coffee for me ; I had another restless night - too many trips to the potty again. Dogs kept raising their heads and looking at me like "What;s wrong with you?" before crashing their heads back down.

Too many posts that I want to comment on, but time is short!
MARK - You really escaped a bomb with that furnace! In that suituation I would gladly pay the "emergency" fee.

Speaking of things quitting - our big screen TV in the family/kitchen room is on the blink - started Thursday afternoon, picture is fine, sound is all garbled with entire words and sometimes sentenances missing - sounds like talking in a barrel. Called a repairman who we had work on a projection TV 6-7 years ago? He was so good that I wanted him back. He will show up Monday afternoon. I was surprised to first find his card, second that he was still in business.

JIM - those photos are something else! Thanks for posting them.

KARL - I want to think about your question on the altitude -- I was in my 20's at the time I lived in Silverton, had an airplane that I used to fly from Silverton (yes, there was a landing strip there built by a Frontier pilot back in the 50's) to Albuquerque where I caught a a flight to N.Y in order to start my overseas flights. That was a REAL commute! In the winter I had to leave the plane in Durango - too much snow in Silverton + I had no way to plow the strip.
I got distracted there thinking about all of it, but I flew sometimes up/down the RR canyon and other times up to as high as 16,000 feet- never thought about oxygen as I was very acclimated to the altitude. Nowdays being 50 years older I have noticed that when we take the RV up to Big Bear - I really only notice that I am not "out of breath", but I do tired out more easy .. no headache and really sleep good.
Long way around, but it just affects different people in different ways. You will notice it - esp. climbing stairs, walking uphill, and such.

TERRY - glad the computer issues have worked out - for once?
I have the "classic menu" on both of my laptops - it's great --- going to knock on the side of my head (wood), but I have had zero issues now for a long time - PTL.

Willie -- I thought you made the grocery trek on Thursday;s???

I'll be back ---

I guess that the rain may miss us today ... News this morning has pretty moderate showers arounf the LA basin.
Its cloudy overcast here, but no moisture at this time. Temp will only reach the mid 50's all the coming week.

Terry - I meant to say that I didn't download anything to do with "classic" I am pretty sure that it was just in the "settings" menu? Do have a minor problem - I cannot get the spellcheck to work on any forum? Spellcheck works fine in the WORD program?

MARK -- You need to add the rising, steady, falling, to your barometer report?

Terry - I meant to say that I didn't download anything to do with "classic" I am pretty sure that it was just in the "settings" menu? Do have a minor problem - I cannot get the spellcheck to work on any forum? Spellcheck works fine in the WORD program?
I have spellchecker on Firefox (current version), and it lets me know when it thinks I am misspelling something just about anywhere.

Back again with some photos, they could be of better quality, but I used my relatively "cheap" smart phone. The photos show more detail when enlarged.

New River Mine - Three.jpg

The two lamp signals on the face of the structure shows the locomotive engineer the turnout positions to bring or pick-up coal hoppers to the loading area. The locomotive engineer is unable to see the position of the turnouts since the area is at eye level for most individuals. The signals are from Tomar and have been modified and the lamps are 2.5 mm, 12 volt lamps from Circuitron. Mini-toggle switches mounted on the layout's fascia control the Tortoise switch machines. The tracks below right are the mainline.

New River Mine - Two.jpg

Side view of the New River Mine and the Bar Mills fencing added to the base of the coal hopper. Notice the poor guy hanging from the structure. The building has a total of four wall mounted operating light fixtures and the three, two color indicator signals. The incandescent lamps run at 9-10 volts to pro-long lamp life. There's a rat's nest of wiring inside the mine structure that connects to terminals under the layout. Photos bring out areas that need improvement or more work! The area behind the hopper need some scenery.

Rock Island Con - One.jpg

A Rock Island Con that I purchased at a swap meet for $5.00. It was slightly weathered and had KD couplers and metal wheels. I added more weathering along with the interior junk of real gravel, tree trucks and a barrel and a pallet.

Waupaca One.jpg

The area of Waupaca unconstruction. A blend of Atlas, Walthers and Cornerstone all kit bashed structures. There's a blend of incandesent and LED lighting. A junk yard is being developed behind the signal tower. In person the area is larger than it looks in a photo. The middle track is the mainline and the track to the left is the Pine River Yard branch line.

Better photos will be taken soon.

Later....

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back