Viaduct bridge relocation.

NYC_George

I started a new project this week. I was having some trouble with long wheel based locos on the S turn leading in to the Janesville viaduct. So I decided to move the bridge and eliminate the tunnel while in the process. The trains will have a much straighter run crossing the bridge which will relieve stress on the car couplers allowing for longer maybe 100 car trains. Plans for a second curved wooded bridge just down rails from the Janesville viaduct are now being considered.
new_bridge_1_2.jpg
new_bridge_3_1.jpg

Leaving that abandoned tunnel on the layout, with the stub end of track leading to it, is a great idea! Something a prototype railroad would, no doubt, have done to accomodate newer, longer-wheelbase motive power. Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks for the comment Trailrider. I'll be running a 100 car train over the layout soon. I'll do a video of it.

Leaving that abandoned tunnel on the layout, with the stub end of track leading to it, is a great idea! Something a prototype railroad would, no doubt, have done to accomodate newer, longer-wheelbase motive power. Keep us updated on your progress.

I agree. Definitely a magnet for graffiti spraying punks to hang out. ;)

Seriously, though. Leave the tunnel. It looks great as an abandoned feature. You can weather the heck out of the abutments to really give it that ancient feel.

I didn't know what I was gong to do with the tunnel but I guess the abandoned thing is a good idea. I'm going to at least have to put back the bridge piers.

George

What about curving the abandoned track at tunnel the other way, making a small 'S'. Then run track straight across the main, through a 90Deg. diamond, right up to the edge of bench (whole track of course, non-powered). Then weather it all up to look un-maintained....M

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a whole lot of work LA if it even fits but the flat section by the bridge and tunnel is going to be a rail park. I was looking at Model Railroad Hobbyist last night and like the fire near the tracks scene and thought maybe I could do the same on the mountain with the fire truck using the tunnel as an access point.

George

Back