Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
David: Might not be on the photos I posted. When I used the "Street View" on Google Maps, I was also able to see the steel beam above the third floor freight door.

David: One of the first things I learned at the Fire Academy was that the threaded rods and washers on the outside of a brick building indicated that the floors and floor support beams were wooden, and that in the event that they were damaged or consumed by fire, that there was a great likelihood that the floor would collapse, and that the brick would fail and fall outward. Therefore, an interior attack would be extremely dangerous and should not be attempted except in situations where there was entrapment. Exterior placement of personnel and equipment close to the structure was also not recommended. The absence of these protruding bolts would indicate a steel frame with brick façade,

It's surprising how many old buildings with wooden floor beams still exist, especially in the Northeast. For modeling purposes, the threaded rods and washers would definitely make for great detail.

View attachment 32909
Another textile mill, dating from the 19th Century, that lasted until the early 1980s. The low definition photo doesn't show it, but it had wood beam supported floors. FWIW, a state prison currently occupies this space.

Boris

Say Joe: That's very interesting indeed, I kind of assumed those buildings had a wooden interior framework. The kit I have is the Delany Iron Works produced by Railway Design Associates in Mass. near Taunton as I recall? I'm not sure if they're still in business or not ? I may build a crude wood framework for mine ?

Last edited:
Say Joe: That's very interesting indeed, I kind of assumed those buildings had a wooden interior framework. The kit I have is the Delany Iron Works produced in Mass., as I recall? I'm not sure if they're still in business or not ?

David: It just occurred to me that the Middlesex Manufacturing Co. kit by Atlas represents one of those wood floor beam structures. The prototype, is still standing, now condos, in Helmetta, NJ along the Conrail Amboy Secondary track. I know for a fact that the walls were secured to the floors by steel rods and washers. I don't believe that the kit offers these details.

Boris

Louis- That picture of Baltimore traffic reminds me of Manila in 1981. I transferred off a boat in Subic and rode a bus to the Manila airport. Huge amount of traffic, barely any lanes and no traffic lights (it felt like bedlam).

Curt that is interesting. I would never have expected something like that as late as 1981! Thanks for sharing that with me.

I'll take the high road, he'll get his one day. And when he does, I hope I'm there when Karma sticks it to him.
And yes, I was going to be more graphic, but this is supposed to be a family-viewable forum...

I nominate you for the "White Hat" award! It's not always easy to do the right thing. You are one of the good guys Terry, I'm proud to know you!

I truly believe we can take anything, say anything and do anything we like in life, but sooner or later we have to pay. I also believe the longer we take to pay the interest builds up. For me God is the ultimate and final accountant. There will be no excuses, explanations, or bargaining, just payment collected and cash, checks or credit will not excepted.

Louis: I found the problem I had with mine was due to a faulty wall outlet. When I moved the plug to another outlet it started and ran perfectly and built up pressure just as it should.

If it isn't the wall outlet it could be you need to replace the on/off switch or maybe

Louis: I found the problem I had with mine was due to a faulty wall outlet. When I moved the plug to another outlet it started and ran perfectly and built up pressure just as it should.

If it isn't the wall outlet it could be you need to replace the on/off switch or maybe there is a poor connection to the motor ?

Thanks David, if it happens again I'll check to be sure the voltage is making it to the motor.

I'm glad you got yours working.

This is for my fellow football fans, the rest of you can just skip this post. :)

Raven mania is sweeping the Baltimore metro area, again. With one game left to play in the regular season if the Ravens win they are in the playoffs. Amazing how many people become fans when the team is winning. The Ravens had the same situation last season. Beat the Cincinnati Bengals in the last game of the season and make the playoffs. Bengals won, the Ravens stayed home and those zealous fans? They disappeared not to be heard from until this last week.

This time the Ravens are facing a surging Cleveland Browns who have won 5 of their last 6 games. The Browns are loaded with talent and they seem to be finally able to translate that into wins. It's too little to late for the Browns as they are already out of the Playoff hunt, but they are a team to keep an eye on next season. The Browns do have somethings to play for; a winning record that has eluded them in recent years, an interim coach who wants to become the permanent coach and we can't forget the Browns fans hate the Ravens!

The Ravens are surging themselves. They have also won 5 of their last 6 games. Our rookie quarterback has improved his passing ability and his running ability has lifted the entire Ravens run offense. The ability to run the ball has given the Ravens defense a boost by dominating the time of possession. If you like "old school" football, the Ravens are a team you will want to watch.

If you are planning on watching the game here is someone to keep an eye on. Former Ravens wide receiver Breshad Perriman never lived up to being a #1 draft pick. Injuries and dropped balls plagued his time in Baltimore. Rather then resign him the Ravens let him go. He is now with the Browns and has been playing well. Good players seem to rise up and play even better when facing a former team.

This should be an interesting game to watch. The Browns young Quarterback has played among the NFL elite of late. The best way to slow him down is too keep the ball out of his hands. I'll make a bold prediction ;) if the Ravens avoid turnovers and dominate the time of possession they will win. Not very much of a bold prediction, but it's the best I can do.

The Ravens lost last years final game, in Baltimore and this years final game is also being played in Baltimore. Time for the Ravens to prove Baltimore is one of the toughest places for visiting teams to play.

I can say one thing good about our "fair weather" fans, they do know when to get loud. I only hope they know when to be quiet!

David: It just occurred to me that the Middlesex Manufacturing Co. kit by Atlas represents one of those wood floor beam structures. The prototype, is still standing, now condos, in Helmetta, NJ along the Conrail Amboy Secondary track. I know for a fact that the walls were secured to the floors by steel rods and washers. I don't believe that the kit offers these details.

Boris

Joe: Are you trying to stay with structures that existed along the Conrail Amboy tracks only? Or are you going to add other businesses as well? I'll send separate message.

Last edited:
It's the thirtieth and tomorrow is the thirty first, the end of this iteration of Runnin' Bear's ANPL Coffee Shop and the end of 2018. Very soon it will be 2019 and I will soon become sixty nine years old, and will have out lived my father by seven years! My sister who was twelve years older than I, was 80, had Alzheimers and passed this past February, at eighty years old. My brother is six years older than I, seventy four and I think he is doing much better than my sister was at that age. I truly believe I know more people who are dead now, than I knew alive! Old age is not for the weak!!

Just some background on who I am.

My layout was started in 1988 and so has been in operation for over thirty years now. Like me, it does some thing very well; but, with others, it is showing it's age.

Weather: I'm only showing 4 degrees colder than the Weather Underground, this morning. Winds are from the SSE at 5 mph. Sky is overcast. Baro. is Two Niner Point Seven and steady.

Mark do you have people in your area that have home weather stations.Around me there are a few that do and even have webcams.I can't remember the site but I can get it from a coworker tomorrow.

Good morning y'all. Everything seems to be back to normal again. Heard rain just before the alarm went off. I knew one day without any was a fluke. Glad I live on a hill.

Louis - good luck to you and your Ravens. I'm not really following this year, and my Panthers are already out (and abysmal again) so the best I can hope for is that they disrupt the rhythm of the Saints going into the playoffs.

Terry - hope things improve for yours and your wife's health soon. Congratulations on taking the high road. Just remember, if you continue to work hard, show up everyday, and do the best you can, he'll be able to buy another $70k pickup next year too. o_O On a more serious note, I had a boss once that didn't like to do right by his employees. When it came time for the annual inspection of his vehicle, I refused to do it. Luckily I was justified in doing so. North Carolina law forbid his Toyota Land cruiser to have a small block Chevy in it. So he had to take it elsewhere. This was not due to my being a stickler for the particulars of my job, as the last inspection I performed on my Nova was done with it sitting in the parking lot as far away from the inspection machine as possible. He was just an a##hole and I had the opportunity to stick it to him and there was nothing he could do about it. It felt great. :cool:

Mark do you have people in your area that have home weather stations.Around me there are a few that do and even have webcams.I can't remember the site but I can get it from a coworker tomorrow.

Tom, I have no idea if folks around me have weather stations. What would the site provide me with?

Tom, I have no idea if folks around me have weather stations. What would the site provide me with?
You can go on the site and check the weather in your neighborhood.Like for me the weather at the Buffalo airport which is 25 miles away it could be snowing with lake effect off Lake Erie yet the sun could be out here north of that in Niagara county.The temps differ due to the warmair off the lake in the winter and cooler in the summer with a breeze off the lake.

Good morning everyone,

Active in here again this morning, that's great to see! 19 degrees this morning, and another light dusting of snow late last night.

Good Morning All. 32° and partly cloudy. Rain is predicted for tonight when the wind shifts from the south, but the low is supposed to be only 37°. Radar currently shows a diagonal band of showers across the state stretching from Laredo through San Antonio and Austin almost over to Shreveport LA. It's slowly moving this way and could possibly fizzle out before getting this far north. There's still standing water from Wednesday's rain.
Ugggh! Spent yesterday morning clearing a sewer line to the septic tank, not a pleasant job when it's only 34° with a north wind. Wind dissipated a bit after lunch but the temperature never got above 38° when I finally went for my abbreviated daily walk of only .75 miles.
Finally got back to business in the train shed. Got out a few bottles of paint and set them over the radiator for a few minutes (it was 55° out there) and commenced to painting some of the "china-men" and some unfinished Preiser figures that I always have handy. This is an activity that I will do when I have long sleeved shirts on. That and running trains. No switching yesterday but I did sort a few dozen cars in the staging yard where I have a protective fence to prevent floor models.

Jesse -
Had to sideline the HO again. The space I had planned to use for it got taken up by office supplies for the business.
Build the layout and store the office supplies under it.
Mark -
I have seen temperatures as low a 55 below and at that temperature Liquid Petroleum gas starts to solidify and I've had to go out and throw warm water on my LP Tank to get the gas to flow again.
Way too cold for me! I get deer and birds and all kinds of critters passing though my property even with our much warmer temperatures, but no foxes, coyotes instead. I get a mountain lion as well, which I haven't seen in 18 months, but have several pictures that I took over the years.
Joe - Thanks for the historical perspective on those buildings. Interesting information regarding what the fire fighters look for when battling a blaze. I'll have to check out the Middlesex model to see if that detail is present. Here in grain country, most older wood elevators have that very same detail as shown in this model on my layout,
09-20-16 014.JPG

Curt - Hope that all goes well with your wife's procedure.
Mike - Yeah! Insurance covers the flu shot, but the doc gets paid for having one of his assistants give it to you.

Another day honoring food today. It's National Bacon Day. What's not to like about bacon? Everyone have a great day.

Good morning, y'all. 34° and cloudy this morning. There is a conflict in forecasts, as the NWS is calling for clearing skies and sunshine, while the Weather Channel app is forecasting snow showers. o_Oo_Oo_O

If any of y'all were following my discussion with CA David, concerning old industrial structures, I did some research and the type of construction was once known as Mill and is now known as Heavy Timber Construction. The brick wall is secured by Bolts and steel plates. I'm not an engineer, and I found that training manuals for firefighters contain more information than they used to. ;). In any event, this discussion jogged my memory of a time over forty years ago.

Mark: Having recently turned the big 70, I can concede that life is more painful. :rolleyes:. A former co-worker maintains a list of railroaders that passed, and it's a good month when I don't recognize any of the names.

Louis: My grand daughter was born the day the Ravens won their most recent Super Bowl, so she is a lifelong Ravens Fan. The biggest reason for my loss of interest in football, is that in almost 33 years, I have not been able to get into either the NY Football Giants or the NY Jets. It is much more difficult to access out of town NFL games than it is for MLB and NHL games. Therefore, I have lost interest in the Skins and Ravens. The TV induced "protests" by unhappy millionaires didn't help, but really I had lost interest long before the first knee dropped.

As a postscript to my opening comments, I just looked out the window, and Weather channel was right, it's snowing!

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back