Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mailman just showed up :)
IMG_2420.jpg

Shirley is NEVER getting another flu shot! Two years in a row of being sick within 48 hours of the shot.:confused:

Sherrel: Ha! I can beat that, I was coughing, gagging and wheezing the day after the flu shot, (day before Thanksgiving), I still am:mad:. Remember, I had both Pneumonia shots (as directed), and still came down with Pneumonia:mad::mad:
Monday MOH has a GI procedure that will tie us up for most the day.

Curt: Hope all goes well for her. Also, looking forward to the pics.

I bought this entire set for the ridiculously low price of $25.

Jesse: Y'all paid that much? :eek: Welcome back, good to see you posting again.

Boris

The Flu shots were mandatory when I was in the U.S. ARMY (69-72) When I got out, I got the flu so bad, that I was nearly taken to the hospital, 105+ temperature. I went the rest of my life without, until 8-10 years ago and started taking them again. I will never go without, now. I've been lucky and never reacted to the shot.

I have never had a reaction to the flu shot either. Oh wait! I have never had one and I have never had the flu either. I have had the pneumonia shot however with no reaction.

David: Best I can figure, was that these buildings were built before freight elevators were common. If you look closely at one of these structures, you may see what looks like a steel beam sticking out over the center of the door on the uppermost floor. These beams, also found on some Walthers Cornerstone kits, were for the hand operated hoist that was used to lift machinery or merchandise from ground or wagon to the upper floors.

The advent of high definition digital photography, enables the modeler to see detail that is otherwise hidden in plain sight. My initial interest in the fireground photos was obviously the fire fighting operation, but as I saved and viewed the photos, I began to notice structural details that I had overlooked.

Boris

Boris: Thanks, that's what I was thinking too although I hadn't noticed the beam end sticking out of the building above the Freight doors but I thought maybe they had a swing out stiff leg Derrick on the inside ? So what you said basically confirm but I was thinking but hadn't noticed anything to indicate if there was any external beam and to attach anything to but that makes sense as how else would they hoist up anything and bring it inside.

I'll have to look closer at the other photographs you posted and see if something shows in those?

Although not in your photographs or on this building what is the fact that on various buildings such as three story Stone building kit I have it shows where they used rods or cables that attach to eyebolts or whatever that extended through the wall and there were large washers and nuts on the outside to keep the walls from spreading outward. That makes for very interesting detailing to I'll have to post a close up of that one of these days.

Last edited:
I have never had a reaction to the flu shot either. Oh wait! I have never had one and I have never had the flu either. I have had the pneumonia shot however with no reaction.

Willie: That because your a tough old guy LoL .

I haven't had a flu shot myself in probably the last 15 years and while this present cold that I'm just getting over is indeed just a cold and not the flu, I determined by the old saying, which is true, feed a cold and starve the flu! I could always eat with this cold that I've had and never caused it to get any worse. The reason I stopped taking the flu shots was because when I did have a flu shot 16 + years ago I came down with a very bad case of the flu so never again!

I went to my yearly wellness check-up for refilling my cholesterol meds on the 18th of Dec. My DR Vehemently tried talking me into the flu shot since insurance covers it. No way I was going to do it a week before Christmas, I knew better than that!

I have only ever had one flu shot, and that one was without my knowledge or consent. I've never had the flu, and with any luck, never will. Every time a Dr. tells me I need a flu shot, I say "no, thank you". One doctor accused me of being an antivaxer, and I informed her I had all my vaccinations, but did not want a flu shot, thank you.

Other than that, I put a trio of Walthers centerbeams on the block over in that book of faces, and I'll list them here, as well.

27 degrees this morning! :eek:
Talked to Trussrod (David) the other day -- He passed along his cold and flu to me! :mad:
Shirley is NEVER getting another flu shot! Two years in a row of being sick within 48 hours of the shot.:confused:

Sherrel: Sorry to hear that.

Well, there goes that friendship. Such is life !

Last edited:
Sherrel: Ha! I can beat that, I was coughing, gagging and wheezing the day after the flu shot, (day before Thanksgiving), I still am:mad:. Remember, I had both Pneumonia shots (as directed), and still came down with Pneumonia:mad::mad:

Curt: Hope all goes well for her. Also, looking forward to the pics.

Jesse: Y'all paid that much? :eek: Welcome back, good to see you posting again.

Boris

Good to be back.

I'll have to look closer at the other photographs you posted and see if something shows in those?
David: Might not be on the photos I posted. When I used the "Street View" on Google Maps, I was also able to see the steel beam above the third floor freight door.

Although not in your photographs or on this building what is the fact that on various buildings such as three story Stone building kit I have it shows where they used rods or tables that attach to eyeballs or whatever that extended through the wall and there were large washers and nuts on the outside to keep the walls from falling outward.

David: One of the first things I learned at the Fire Academy was that the threaded rods and washers on the outside of a brick building indicated that the floors and floor support beams were wooden, and that in the event that they were damaged or consumed by fire, that there was a great likelihood that the floor would collapse, and that the brick would fail and fall outward. Therefore, an interior attack would be extremely dangerous and should not be attempted except in situations where there was entrapment. Exterior placement of personnel and equipment close to the structure was also not recommended. The absence of these protruding bolts would indicate a steel frame with brick façade,

It's surprising how many old buildings with wooden floor beams still exist, especially in the Northeast. For modeling purposes, the threaded rods and washers would definitely make for great detail.

aberfoyle.jpg

Another textile mill, dating from the 19th Century, that lasted until the early 1980s. The low definition photo doesn't show it, but it had wood beam supported floors. FWIW, a state prison currently occupies this space.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back