Social interaction within the hobby: A Rant.

My question is does everything or everybody have to have dcc? When you state you are not dcc, why is it that you receive that odd look from your mr club or friend then receive a harsh reply.
Just go to that "other" site and say you are planning a 4x8 and see what happens! That (and the topic of this whole thread for that matter) is the main reason why I really left there and came here.

But I think one answer to the DCC reaction is that some people who really needed it for their layouts didn't even discover command control until DCC came out. They learned about it and are very proud with what they learned and want others to ..., well, "think well of them". I'm also pretty certain there is a percentage of those sort of people who are angry at themselves for not discovering it sooner. In psychological terms they are compensating. Now they think everyone's layout and modeling needs are the exact same as as theirs, so cannot comprehend others who's needs are different. Same could be said for nickel-silver track. I'm guessing the most adamant haters of brass track are those who came late to the NS party.

P.S. Want to run on my "layout". No problem. I've got all sorts of DC (standard, pure, half wave, pulse width, ...), PMP-112(CTC-64), RailCommand, and DCC. Choose your poison we will hook it up.

Last edited:
Since you asked about DCC, it does have some advantages over straight DC. Even if you have a one-train layout, it can be nice to have. You can have numberboard, head, cab, and even class lights on when you want them, even if the lone engine is just sitting in front of the station. You don't HAVE to have blocks to run more than one train, or to run one train while another one is sitting somewhere.
A nice thing about DC is, it's a LOT cheaper... And you can do most everything you can do with DCC, on straight DC, though it takes a lot more creativity, and in some cases, complexity.

I found the main problem wasn't actually the DCC, but the lack of space inside some of my smaller brass locos. I'd HATE to have to put a decoder inside the cab, stuck to the cab roof, but I did it on a MDC HOn3 2 truck shay. It makes working on it a PITA. As far as peoples pointless replies to specific questions. People are people. Roseanne Barr had a great line in her old TV show: "I;m a really good judge of people. Thats why I don't like none of them". It's far worse, the more technical the subject becomes.

Hi Y3a, I also put a decoder in a MDC HOn3 2 truck shay - it was a Digitrax DN163. For me, there are so many horrible aspects on that darn loco that the decoder was piece o cake. I have NWSL'd nearly everything on it over the years - motor, all the gears (so many gears...), the drive train bars and the little collars for the cups (ya, replaced). Now I'm trying to fashion new pickups as the old ones completely failed and I can find anything even remotely premade that will work (I am, AM, open to suggestions wrt power pickups for this little bugger since I'm not good at this part of the hobby). Most folks would leave it as an old wrecked loco at the bottom of a ravine, but I'm pathologically sentimental and would dearly love to see this old mutt under its own power again someday.

As for DCC - works great for me, but I have an layout that is suited for it. So, no complaints. For other folks, do what works for ya. And note that every rose has its thorn.

My experiences with pointless replies come from many years on various computer forums:
OP: " I have a problem with Windows..." Smartas: "Shoulda got linux"
OP: " I have a problem with Linux..." Smartas: "Shoulda got a mac"
OP: " I have a problem with my Mac..." Smartas: "Shoulda got a PC wit MS Win"
Now there were religious wars to rival the crusades!

Hi Y3a, I also put a decoder in a MDC HOn3 2 truck shay - it was a Digitrax DN163. For me, there are so many horrible aspects on that darn loco that the decoder was piece o cake. I have NWSL'd nearly everything on it over the years - motor, all the gears (so many gears...), the drive train bars and the little collars for the cups (ya, replaced). Now I'm trying to fashion new pickups as the old ones completely failed and I can find anything even remotely premade that will work (I am, AM, open to suggestions wrt power pickups for this little bugger since I'm not good at this part of the hobby). Most folks would leave it as an old wrecked loco at the bottom of a ravine, but I'm pathologically sentimental and would dearly love to see this old mutt under its own power again someday.

As for DCC - works great for me, but I have an layout that is suited for it. So, no complaints. For other folks, do what works for ya. And note that every rose has its thorn.

My experiences with pointless replies come from many years on various computer forums:
OP: " I have a problem with Windows..." Smartas: "Shoulda got linux"
OP: " I have a problem with Linux..." Smartas: "Shoulda got a mac"
OP: " I have a problem with my Mac..." Smartas: "Shoulda got a PC wit MS Win"
Now there were religious wars to rival the crusades!
I too have kept some locos for personal reasons. I like the smaller locos as much as the monster machines and the HOn3 MDC 2-8-0 outside frame locos were just too cute so I have 3. (NWSL 36:1 re-geared) Was gonna do an expanded 1st edition Gorre & Dapheited on a 4 x 8 for less severe curves. Got a Shay for the fun of it. Still have unbuilt cars and never used track and turnouts.

My question is does everything or everybody have to have dcc? When you state you are not dcc, why is it that you receive that odd look from your mr club or friend then receive a harsh reply.

Of course not. My newist layout is DC. It's your model railroad, and your choice of Control system.

Of course not. My newist layout is DC. It's your model railroad, and your choice of Control system.
I've got both, I personally find that DCC has a much more satisfying feel to it. The tiny train just feels a lot bigger due to the programming in it.

DC is definitely an acceptable choice, but even without all the advanced features of DCC, the DC system just feels more like a toy train than a DCC system.

Basically I got a slew of replies of non-applicable information. Am I being hardheaded myself? Probably, but if you're going to the trouble to reply to my post asking for help, shouldn't you at least provide some kind of help? Replacing the running gear is not unheard of and I don't think I should be chastised or thought less of for doing so, but it seems the armchair or purist types would rather get on me for that than be quiet or offer to sell me what I am actually looking for.

Hey, it's the internet! You have to implement your own garbage filters! It's not just this hobby either. You think it's bad in this hobby? Try a few gun discussion forums! :D

my son runs MODELRAILROADING 2.0 page on facebook its easy going he started that page because
of the anal rivet counters on the other pages lol

my son runs MODELRAILROADING 2.0 page on facebook its easy going he started that page because
of the anal rivet counters on the other pages lol

I can't blame him for that, it gets tiring having people insisting that you're having fun wrong. There are some things that are wrong, for example insisting that your prototype rail model includes trolls under the bridges, but in general, people really need to just chill

I can't blame him for that, it gets tiring having people insisting that you're having fun wrong. There are some things that are wrong, for example insisting that your prototype rail model includes trolls under the bridges, but in general, people really need to just chill
Yup, once again tonight I was given input that I didn't ask for. :rolleyes:

Hey, it's the internet! You have to implement your own garbage filters! It's not just this hobby either. You think it's bad in this hobby? Try a few gun discussion forums! :D
Ahem. .45 ACP is the only caliber you need! #sarcasm

Back