Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a short story related to those pics. One of the crane operators was also the owner of the crane co., but he was also the biggest model railroader in the area. In early 1978, I had already started my 5x9 layout when I was invited to his place to watch an operating session. I was shocked! He had a 24 x 40 room approx. filled with HO & HOn3 activity and several fellows running trains. That really got my interest and I was determined to oneday have another layout. He also had enough brass to build a ships propeller. He wore engineer overalls & hat while running the crane. RIP Doug.
Dave

Boris, I know you remember these guys!

I use to listen to them on the radio with the man who raised me. Neither of us really understood hockey and I still don't. If there was no baseball, football, basketball or boxing on the radio we became Clippers fans. I can't for the life of me remember who the broadcasters were.

Louis: I vaguely remember the Clippers, and I forget the name of the team that played in Baltimore in the '80s. What surprises me is that on the whole, Hockey never garnered much interest in Baltimore. It's a game that fits the City's character. FWIW, the Caps took a while to catch on in DC, back when they played in Largo in PG, off of Central Avenue. Ultimately, DC became a passionate fan base, but I remember when Giant Food would give away two free tickets if you spent 75 bucks on groceries.

Boris

Louis: I vaguely remember the Clippers, and I forget the name of the team that played in Baltimore in the '80s. What surprises me is that on the whole, Hockey never garnered much interest in Baltimore. It's a game that fits the City's character. FWIW, the Caps took a while to catch on in DC, back when they played in Largo in PG, off of Central Avenue. Ultimately, DC became a passionate fan base, but I remember when Giant Food would give away two free tickets if you spent 75 bucks on groceries.

Boris
Boris, Baltimore fans are passionate, if you are winning.

The Clippers usually made the playoffs, but never got past the second round. That is not enough to draw interest in Baltimore.

The Baltimore Bullets never won a championship. They did make the NBA finals, only to lose to the Milwaukee Bucks in 4 straight games. As you know they ended up moving to Washington a few years later.

The Colts were legendary having beat the mighty New York Giants in 58 and 59 NFL championships. They remained very competitive throughout the 60s and early 70s. They won the NFL Championship in 68, I won't mention Super Bowl III. They won Super Bowl IV, but as soon as they fell on hard times in 72 the fans turned on them. Trading Unitas, Mackey and Matte did not help, even though they were well past their prime. The Colts returned to the playoffs in 75, 76 and 77. Thanks to the draft picks they got in the hated trades. The fans returned but abandoned them again in 78 when the team missed the playoffs and the fans never returned.

The Orioles were the winningest team in baseball for their first 35 years (54-83), but did not consistently draw over a million fans until 1975. Even though the American league average was over 1 million for most years since 1946.

I believe had the Colts not left town after the 83 season that the Orioles would have left town after the 88 season having lost 21 straight to start the season. The fans seemed to have learned a lesson.

Memories are short, you should hear the things the fans are saying now after the Orioles' forgettable season. I can't even listen to sports radio any more. It's nothing more than a bunch of loud mouth blow hard, know nothing idiots spouting off about things they know very little about. I guess its the new norm.

I don't blame the Colts or the Bullets for leaving. They both played in inadequate venues. The legendary Baltimore Colts played in a baseball stadium. The best seats were in the end zone. The fifty yard line seats were bleachers and many seats had obstructed views. I loved Memorial stadium, but it was outdated and not built to support a football team. The bullets played in the much too small and drab Civic Center. Our politicians bad mouthed the respective team owners. All the while they were lying by promising new venues that never got past the drawing board. The Colts were on the verge of bankruptcy when they left.

Many Baltimore sports fans are true "fair weather" fans, for the most part.

Afternoon All,

Today I attached 3 exterior rooms to the main building and placed their roof cards on them. The low platform is glued in on the 3 sides but the tall platform is loose. I haven't decided if I want to glue it in place or not. It will probably be a last minute decision.

Joe- Thank you. I hope you stay dry as it looks like a bad storm. Happy Birthday Eveo_O.

Louis- I'm glad you're feeling better.

Toot- The Polaroid does top notch video and sound.

Almost time for the FL/GA college game followed by ND/Navy. I don't have much hope for either of my teams. UCF is off this week.

20181027_130902-2016x980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Dave said: .... "GARRY I wonder how many of those that sat through 18 innings last night have a "tender behind"? "

Dave ..... Reminds me of when I attended some dead end meetings at work.

Louis ..... Your post about train shows is funny. I tell my wife not t shop in a store that does not have a chair for me to sit and wait for her.

Happy Birthday Boris!!!
1540718632793.png

Seventy is a "mile marker" and a big one.

I hope and pray you have many, more. God be with you my friend.

You are one of the very best people I have ever known and the world is blessed to have you in it.

What a fantastic career you have had and an even better family man to boot!
1540718788362.png

1540718847403.png

1540718884777.png

Last edited:
Louis ..... Your post about train shows is funny. I tell my wife not t shop in a store that does not have a chair for me to sit and wait for her.

Garry, that was the first thing that came to mind, "at least the mall has benches" :)

You are a lucky man, you have a considerate wife.

My ex-wife took hours just to buy shoes. I use to take a book with me.

I am so lucky now because my wife shops like me. She knows exactly what she is looking for and gets in and out. Catalogs are her place to browse.

Good morning Everybody!

All is well here in rainy southeast Baltimore.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning All. 59° and clear, I can see all the way to the moon. Expecting a normal temperature of 83° today for a change. Three days at least until rain on Wednesday. Spent a lot of time early yesterday with the usual household stuff, dishes, laundry, general kitchen cleanup. Made some progress with the bathroom remodel as well, got a bunch more of those "shiplap" strips up. Everything is measure and cut now: around the door; around the shower enclosure; into, out of and around the alcove. Next row has the light switch to deal with. It doesn't help that some studs are erratically placed, although I now know where all of them are. Spent another hour wielding the weedeater around the estate. Ground is still too soft for the tractor/mower.
Didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed, and only ran trains while I was out there. I think that I have now moved every engine for a few laps after they sat idle while I was on vacation. Gotta keep those HO engineers on their toes.

Joe -
1540726753893.gif

Louis - My wife quit taking me shopping with her for "her stuff" many years ago. I generally found a chair and napped! I always nodded if she asked if something looked good, and got blamed later when she didn't like it!:(
Curt - Really fine progress on the Printing Shop. I like adding the signs like you did, really gives structures a lot of character.

Today is a busy day for commemorations. National Chocolate Day, National Mother-in-Law Day, and for you Curt, it's National First Responders Day.
Everyone have an awesome day.

Good morning. It's 41 and weather channel says mostly sunny. I guess when the fog lifts, it'll be sunny...

Good morning, y'all. 50° and cloudy. We had over 2½" of rain yesterday. This week should be relatively mild.

Louis: Thank you for the nice presentation.

Everyone: Thank you for the birthday wishes.

Everyone enjoy your day!

Boris

Hey Boris ...... Happy Birthday ..... Willie says it is National Chocolate Day.....

So, I'll have a piece of chocolate birthday cake with my coffee, please.

Willie ..... Interesting your shopping with wife experiences are sort of like mine.

Louis .... Yep. My wife is considerate. .... Now she does a lot of shopping on the internet. .... She actually, does not have to pay for clothes with her strategy. ... Hypothetical example: She purchases five items for a total of $60. .... She receives them, and tries on all five items. She keeps one and sells remaining four items on eBay for at least $60.

Curt ... Your building is look great.

Dave Truck Dad .... Sounds like your friend, Doug, had a very nice model railroad.

Good morning. Have been very busy the past few days. 38 degrees to start off the day with a high near 60.

First things first. Boris - 548.gif

Curt - The printing company is really coming along nicely. Nice work.

Louis - Like the GG1 photos. Sweet..

Friday I took a trip to Billing to look at a couple of vehicles. Took the '59 Impala for its last trip for the year. Nice to get it out on the interstate and stretch its legs. Got a lot of thumbs up. As much as I don't care for SUV\s, I found a few used Subaru Outbacks on the internet. No CVT transmissions and no touch screens. Would like to have something like that for the winter to keep the miles down on the Buick. The only one I really liked unfortunately was under contract. A nice 5 speed manual in a gold color.

Yesterday I was working out in the shop getting the Impala ready for its winter hibernation when my son called. The alternator went out on his Subaru Forrester so he brought it out. We replaced the Alternator and put new plugs in it and also replaced the rear struts on it. In really cold weather the right rear strut would drop down due to a bad strut. That pretty well shot the day. Went to town later to have dinner with friends.

Maybe I can go visit the trains after the NASCAR race this afternoon.

Here's a rail photo for today.

b132ea65c251ddb4d36131d16cb9ce86.jpg

Later

Good Afternoon All,

No train stuff today. MOH gave me a list of things that need done around the house before the family get together at Thanksgiving. I got 2 done today.

Joe- Happy 70th Birthday.

Louis- Thank you. Great GG1 photos.

Willie- Thank you for both of the thoughts.

Garry- Thank you.

Chet- Thank you. Nice rail shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back