Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning there people! Going for my second cup at the moment.
Temp is going back up to 86 today - I love these "fall" temps.

Spousal Unit re-appeared yesterday afternoon and we spent the afternoon sorting out all the TV packages.
She has decided that we should try a "new" company here called Spectrum. They are offering twice the speed we have for internet and everything we care for on the TV with the sports packages included for 1/2 the amount we are currently paying. I told her that it sounds good, but let's wait until after the World Series is over before switching over (just in case that the switch doesn't go as planned?) Now - if that works - we just need to work on the phone costs.
I still want to check out some of those other options as well - such as Hulu and Roku?
Someone should offer a school course for those of us who are "challenged"!

OH - I think a few here may like this photo ... the boys did a Super Nice job on this critter at the OERM!
View attachment 31357
Looks just like the model!!!

I made it back, got side tracked by my couch, TV and a nap! :)

1540516053493.png

Have a great night Everybody!

Good evening .

Chet .... I like your layout photos.... The rail photo of the day does not have much rail.

Sherrel ..... Santa Fe 108 looks great. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Cheers !

Good morning everyone. 48 and drizzling out there.

Nothing to report from the train room. Had a banquet last night on campus with our Board of Trustees who come from all over the US and a couple of foreign countries. Didn't get home until late. Hope to get some things done on the layout tonight.

Here's a cute story for you:
A 6-year-old Christian girl attends a public school. Her atheistic science teacher is doing a lesson on whales. The teacher states that it is impossible for a whale to swallow a human being because although it is a very large mammal it has a very small throat.
The little girl, remembering her Sunday School lesson, states that Jonah was swallowed by a whale.
The teacher, irritated, reiterates that a whale cannot swallow a human; it is physically impossible.
The little girl says, "When I get to heaven I will ask Jonah."
The teacher asks, sarcastically, "What if Jonah went to hell?"
The little girl responds, "Then you ask him."

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 49° and clear as can be. Heavy, heavy dew out there this morning. This Willa storm remnant is headed for you guys east. Be careful and stay dry if you can. Tough time at the grocery store yesterday as many tasty things were on sale but I don't have room in the freezer for all of them. Brisket, spareribs, large fresh salmon fillets, bulk rib eyes, chuck roast to name a few. Went with spareribs and chuck roast since I still have rib eyes and salmon in the freezer. Should get back to the bathroom remodel today after the dew dries. It was so much easier when a contractor was doing the other one, but I will save $5K.
Found my AWOL covered hopper yesterday and re-installed the missing brake wheel that showed up Tuesday. No more updates on the chain-link fence until it's finished, end of the month has been my projection all along. I'm itching to start another concurrent project, but I made a small promise to myself not to start until that darn fence is completed. I'm just not spending enough time in the train shed. I haven't built a structure in what seems like two months!

Johnny - Small crack in the new toilet? Too late to return it? At least you got it repaired. Loved that little story about Jonah.:)
Ray -
So....no more going for a leak in that toilet then?
That's what the tree in the backyard is for.
Garry - I have also used Duckduckgo for searches for the very same reasons that you posted. I feel your pain regarding the dental visits. My next dental visit in two weeks is supposed to be the last one for mouth reconstruction, cost will be nearly $2400 for the remaining crowns that I need. Ouch!! Ten extractions (including four broken teeth), nine crowns and eight implants later has cost me far too much, but I can enjoy eating for the rest of my life.
Chet - Best of luck with the switcher.
Sherrel - I never got to see an FP45 pulling a passenger train, but after Amtrak took over passenger service, ATSF kept all of theirs. I did see a few of them that were converted to freight service. They never looked that good though. They always looked odd sandwiched in between the SD45's with their "cigar band" paint scheme.

Has life seemed to have gotten too complex? When I was younger, I left the house with a key ring with two keys, house and car; along with my drivers license and a wad of cash (I don't carry a wallet). Now while the key ring is still the same, I have had to add a Medicare card and supplemental insurance card (in case of accident), proof of auto insurance, credit card (easier than cash at some places), reading glasses, spare batteries for my hearing aids, remote control for those hearing aids, the aids themselves and the newly acquired cell phone (wife's insistence). I need a checklist!:mad:
Everybody have an awesome day.

Good morning, y'all. Happy Friday! 32° and overcast with all sorts of ominous warnings and perilous predictions . Wouldn't want to be out on the ocean in a small boat...:oops:

When I was younger, I left the house with a key ring with two keys, house and car; along with my drivers license and a wad of cash (I don't carry a wallet). Now while the key ring is still the same, I have had to add a Medicare card and supplemental insurance card (in case of accident), proof of auto insurance, credit card (easier than cash at some places), reading glasses, spare batteries for my hearing aids, remote control for those hearing aids, the aids themselves and the newly acquired cell phone (wife's insistence). I need a checklist!:mad:
That, my friend, is called progress. :rolleyes:

Dem bums are in a 0-2 hole... :( Maybe some California dreaming will turn things around :rolleyes:

Boris

LOUIS Here's how we hauled em 35 years ago. My co worker had the 2-6-2 Prairie and I got the tender. We "snuck" them out of the County fairgrounds and into the local SMVRR yard a mile away in Santa Maria, CA on a wet day to avoid folks angry that it was given to a group in Oregon. I hear its restoration was just completed a couple years ago.
Dave
2-6-2  #1.jpg
2-6-2 #2.jpg

Good morning, everybody ...

Johnny .... The story of the 6 year old is funny..... I was told not to take the Bible literally, but to take it seriously.

Karl .... A steam powered Chevelle ? . Interesting kit-bash.

Truckdad .... That is an interesting load..... by the way, were you uncomfortable with a tender behind ? ... :D .... Oh, never mind.....

Here is an older photo of EMD SD's ..

34998860314_c52bc7fbc5_b.jpg

Afternoon All,

Today son and I went and saw Hunter Killer. It's a fairly good action movie but a typically ridiculous plot line. It was interesting to see the technology change in subs since I retired in 1995. Today before going to the movies I added internal bracing to two external rooms to give them rigidity and strength.

Karl- Interesting video. Too bad they couldn't start it.

Willie- I have bad teeth also.

Truckdad- Interesting loads.

Garry- Nice layout shot with the EMD's.

20181026_104319-1470x3024.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All! Someone left the south door open today and it got up to 97 here; I guess that it will be a warm "summer" type ball game tonight in the 80's anyway.
Dem Bums better shine tonight ... read somewhere that Roberts was going to put his three best HR hitters in the lineup - I WONDER WHY HE DID NOT HAVE THEM IN THERE BEFORE? As I have said before, I am not a dyed-in-the-wool Dodger fan, but I hate to see most all the wife's family disappointed ... her Aunt Mary (passed 5 years back) was an avid fan and bought season tickets ever since they came to LA. She used to take all the kids (wife's generation) to the games on a rotating basis, and give the tickets away when she could not attend. My hat is off to Aunt Mary!
Nothing else going on -- just trying to lick my wounds from the recent market selloff!

Dave (Truckdad) .. Very interesting hauling .. thought Garry's remark was funny!

Curt -- Cannot remember the last movie I went too! I think it was either "Letters from Iwo" or "Flags of our Fathers".

Last edited:
just trying to lick my wounds from the recent market selloff!

Sherrel: Patience, my friend. :rolleyes:

Curt: The structure is coming along nicely. I don't remember the last time I went to a movie...No reason, I just don't watch them.

Garry: Nice fleet of SD9s

Not raining yet, according to the radar, it won't be long though.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back