Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
It certainly sounds like the brushes have worn down to the point of just touching enough to keep the motor turning once it starts, but not able to pass enough current to get it moving from standstill. Needs to be fixed to prevent sparking wear on the commutator.

I got this locomotive new and it hasn't really had a lot of use. The brushes shouldn't be worn out that quickly.

I got this locomotive new and it hasn't really had a lot of use. The brushes shouldn't be worn out that quickly.
I've had several Bachmann engines over the years with that brush setup that had the same issue. After I fiddled with the brush holders and springs, the problem went away.

I've had several Bachmann engines over the years with that brush setup that had the same issue. After I fiddled with the brush holders and springs, the problem went away.
As somebody said, a squirt with some cleaner and couple of bumps on the palm of the hand might free them up, could just be sticky.

Once it is running, it runs extremely smooth. I don't really want to start taking this apart. It has been sent to the shops for evaluation. I'll give Bachmann a call and see if they have an idea or if they will repair it.

View attachment 31347

That's Cute!! Thinking that Bachmann actually repairs anything! Chet, when where you born, back in the 40s or 50s, when manufacturers actually did repair things? I've returned for "Repair" several items to Bachmann, all they know how to fix something, is to "Replace" it! Important point: when you return a loco for repair, don't return the shell if it has been customized. They will return it with a new shell!

Oh, supposedly it's 47 degrees and going to rain until Sunday, here in Northern MN!

Good morning everyone. 50 and drizzling out there. Weekend looking pretty nice.

I mentioned a few weeks ago about my engines giving me fits, stopping and starting and then just stopping. Well, I got serious about cleaning the track so last night I ran the track cleaning car several times around the track and the engines are running fine now. Ran them for 15 or 20 minutes after cleaning the track, and everything appears to be working well. Wiped a lot of junk off the cleaning pad of the track cleaning car, so that was most likely it. Cleaned the engine wheels on two of the locomotives, have two more to do.

In the "Remodel Zone" (that's the Twilight Zone in our bathrooms and bedroom), I had installed a new toilet in the master bath last week, and saw that it had a slow leak. I've put toilets in before and I pretty much know what I'm doing, so I troubleshot and figured there was a small crack around one of the bolts that connects the tank to the bowl. Bought some waterproof silicone, sealed around the bolt and, as the French say, voila! No more leaks! Tomorrow the remodel crew finishes the guest bathroom. Then just one last thing to do in the master bath and it's finished!!

Busy weekend coming up. Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 53° and cloudy, with a bit of fog. Actually warmed up overnight, but we're still running about 15° below average for this time of year. Where's that "Indian Summer"? Almost 1.5" in the rain gauge from the last 24 hours. Temperature in the house is staying just above 71°, so I haven't had to fire up the wood-burning heater yet this year. Back into the routine with the grocery/beer trek this morning. Bathroom remodel is on temporary hold until the ground outside dries up enough to avoid tracking leaves and grass clippings inside every time I cut another piece of wood, which is nearly all of them now. Only one eight foot strip out of every ten that I put up.
Made more progress in the train shed with the chain-link fence. It's about 80% complete and I have started to apply weeds, brush and "stuff" at the completed end. I made a few trees yesterday that will be used in this area, but haven't planted all of them yet. Spent some time looking for a "lost" freight car, unsuccessfully so far. I made a note a few weeks ago when I dusted it off that it was missing the brake wheel, but instead of putting it on the RIP track, I put it back into a train and off it went. Found the missing brake wheel yesterday, but I cannot yet locate the mineral-brown ATSF covered hopper, # 307152...of which I have almost 100 of!:(

Louis - Most doctors automatically write prescriptions for brand name medications and you have to insist that he/she allow generics to be used instead. Surprisingly, many people do not trust generics although most are identical to the name brand ones. My mail-order pharmacy, Humana, will not fill a name brand prescription without calling me and getting permission first. When I refuse, they automatically contact the doctors office for authorization to use a generic instead. Holds down their costs and my co-pays as well.
10-20 cups of coffee a day! No wonder you're on the go so much.o_O
Chet - My wife thrives on bargaining with TV providers, phone companies, insurance people, hotel reservations and other similar businesses. I sometimes think that they give in just to get her off the line.
Sherrel - Maybe the next earthquake will divide the state into three parts.
Greg - You're correct about the infrastructure with the satellite TV providers. Eventually I hauled my "Dish Network" dish to the recyclers long after I switched to Direct TV. They just never came to pick it up despite repeated phone calls.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning Everybody!

So much to say, so little time.

Have a great day Everybody!

God willing, I'll be back.

Good morning, everybody.

I'll have coffee and an apple turnover, please.

I have become disenchanted with Google, the search engine company. They track searches and have biased search results. ..... I just started using duckduckgo .... It is as fast as Google. Results don't have sponsored content at the top. ..... Has anybody else tried duckduckgo ?

Yesterday, I was at the dentist for two hours costing another $1800 for my dental work this year. My next appointment is in three weeks and it will be $1200. ... I picked up the boat from the boat mechanic who winterized it. ...

After doing more non-model-railroad stuff, I worked on some model trains.

Everybody: .... Happy Model Railroading ....

Good morning. 45 degrees to start the day and we may get up to 60 this afternoon.

Ray - I do have some contact cleaner. I will give it a try. Can't hurt. Mark, Years ago I wouldn't touch anything from Bachmann, but i recent years they had to improve to keep up with the competition. When they were having gear problems with their 3 truck shays, I had a couple of the gearws cracked and they sent replacement gears. I also picked up a C&O 2-6-6-4 from an estate sale and the rear engine was bound up. It was out of production, but they did repair it instead of sending a replacement. Granted, I did not see it for over three months, but they did fix it. I was suprised.

Johnny - Good fix on the toilet. Nothing like a little bit of North Dakota engineering.

Willie - I also try to get the best bargains I can find. Sometimes not a lot opf work is necessary, but you can save a lot. I do enjoy my TV and have a number of shows that I like to watch. I like the DVR that we got when we upgraded to our new plan. My wife really likes her Discovery ID and some of my shows on the Science Channel and Velocity TV are on at the same time so recording them is handy.

Being that the GE 70 tonner is out of action, the 34 tonner, #00 know as buckshot by the crews will be stationed at Churchill to do the switching duties. Here it is dropping off a couple of box cars and bringing three empties back to the Logan yard.

20181024_141417.jpg20181024_143423.jpg20181024_143610.jpg

The littel 45 tonner is extremely smooth and great at crawling along while switching. I was amazed at how well it performs. One of my favorites.

Here's a rail picture for today.
WashOut002.jpg

Later

Good Morning Everyone....over cast and seasonal.

Chet: Try a bit of contact cleaner and see if you can apply it to the commutator. And with low hours, check the power pick ups at the axles and the power pick up wiring for a loose or broken wire since it may not be the brushes which should last a long time.

Leaking toilets are a pain, they start running in the middle of the night!

Ordered a mini camera for the layout and it should arrive in the next few days.

Ran trains yesterday and reversed the direction of a new locomotive I'm breaking in and let it run for a few hours.

Bachmann's quality has improved and in the past I have mixed results with their warranties and replacement parts. Once I believe they sent me used power pick ups. Another time I received replacement parts in less than a week.

That's all for now.

Greg

####################################

Morning there people! Going for my second cup at the moment.
Temp is going back up to 86 today - I love these "fall" temps.

Spousal Unit re-appeared yesterday afternoon and we spent the afternoon sorting out all the TV packages.
She has decided that we should try a "new" company here called Spectrum. They are offering twice the speed we have for internet and everything we care for on the TV with the sports packages included for 1/2 the amount we are currently paying. I told her that it sounds good, but let's wait until after the World Series is over before switching over (just in case that the switch doesn't go as planned?) Now - if that works - we just need to work on the phone costs.
I still want to check out some of those other options as well - such as Hulu and Roku?
Someone should offer a school course for those of us who are "challenged"!

OH - I think a few here may like this photo ... the boys did a Super Nice job on this critter at the OERM!
1540481748286.png

I hate to use third hand information but this comes from the very reliable webmaster of the UK RMWEB board in the form of an announcement from Bachmann UK/Europe that has implications for any near future Bachmann US releases:

"At our annual Press Day held at the Churnet Valley Railway on Friday 31st August 2018, we outlined that our parent company, Kader, had opened a new model railway production facility in Gaobu to supplement the existing facilities at Shenzen and Dongguan.

Although the Kader site in Dongguan was earmarked for redevelopment by the local authority, it was expected that production would continue in the medium-term whilst the new sites came onstream.

Unfortunately, we have been asked to vacate the site sooner than previously indicated and to facilitate this, staff from other locations have been engaged in the transfer of machinery, tooling and materials to the new Gaobu site.

This will regretfully lead to a temporary reduction in production capacity whilst reorganisation of our production facilities takes place, this is reflected in the information that is communicated to our customers and consumers.

Once the reorganisation is complete we shall be in a stronger position, with increased production capacity, that will allow us to deliver those models that are still outstanding, along with many more that are currently in development. "

Afternoon All,

Visited Jon today and he installed the shaft (connects motor and gear tower) for the TT bridge and after testing at home it works.:cool: Phil made it over for about 45 minutes at the end. Nothing done on the build today, since after getting home I did some chores. I ordered some more exterior lighting from we_honest on eBay. They arrived in 5 days! (China company). I checked the listing and the seller is shipping from CA now. I don't like their trees but their lights have always been top notch. Going to see Hunter Killer at the matinee tomorrow with son.

Karl- I guess I need to vote again.

Johnny- Glad you resolved your track issues.

Chet- Great layout pictures.

Sherrel- That SF loco looks brand new.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back