Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 44 and clear.

Took the day off work yesterday with a list of 10 things to get done: touching up the paint in the remodeled master bath, putting insulation in the outside wall of the remodeled guest bath, touching up the paint in the remodeled master bedroom, filling the firewood box for the first time this season, cleaning up my workbench out in the wood shop, working on some wood Christmas decorations I'm building, etc etc etc. Got everything done except revving up the generator to make sure it's ready for the winter. With all that, I didn't do anything in the train room except spray some Scenic Cement over an area I recently scenicated. Hope to get back down there this week, but we do have some more volunteering things going on at Teen Challenge.

Former bums in 7!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 52° this morning. Rain in the forecast for after lunch some time. Cooler today and tomorrow and then back into the 70's for a few days. I'll spend the morning sawing "shiplap" strips for the bathroom remodel before it starts to rain. Surgery yesterday was postponed by a week to give the cyst more time to shrink. I think that the doctor just wanted an extra office visit payment from Medicare.
TV! I gave up on most TV over 25 years ago, but I still watched pro football until about ten years ago although I have since given up on that too. Wife is a TV junkie though, it's on 16 hours a day when she's home. HGTV, Hallmark, that station with the old black and white movies, The View (to see what the Hollywood "elites" think), some network soaps, pro football, college basketball, pro hockey, and Fox news in between everything else. I have no clue to what we pay for all this and she has Roku as well. It's probably greater than my modeling budget! But it keeps her happy and she needs the companionship when I'm out in the train shed or garden!:D
Speaking of being out in the train shed, I cut the last strip of tulle for the chain-link fence yesterday. Twice. Just wasn't happy with the first attempt even though the imperfections probably wouldn't be visible to most without benefit of a camera shot. Started gluing some of it in place. In between, I made a few trees that are drying overnight. More to come today. Ran a number of trains incident-free. Careful trackwork is a real key to enjoyment. I even quit using my "derailment log" a few months ago since they are almost non-existent, or due to human error.

Chet - I'm in a similar situation being in the boonies with the TV. My wife also periodically contacts Direct TV and expresses thoughts about switching and always ends up with reduced payments or freebies. This last time she got the NFL Ticket free for two years. She is a rabid football fan.
Justin - Great news regarding your family addition. I know from reading your posts over the years that this means a lot to you and your wife. Great to read that she was able to go full term this time. Prayers for a healthy boy and a rapid recovery for your wife. Don't worry about railroading going on the back burner. It's just a hobby. Devote your time to your wife and family, the layout isn't going anywhere. You might consider removing some stuff and covering it with a sheet in the meantime to keep the dust off.
Sherman -
Watch them guys like a hawk. I've heard many a story about their rolling bills together and double dipping.
Yep, we've been through that already this month, after years of no problems with DirectTV. Had not used ATT before except landlines in the previous century, until this special offer with the two for one cell phones. That's why I reluctantly have a cell phone now. You even have to pay sales tax on the free phone!
Terry - Get well soon.

Let me give credit where it's due, Sherrel sent me that "Sing, Sing, Sing with Swing" video a day or two before it was posted here in the Coffee Shop. Thanks Sherrel.
Another food day today, it's National Bologna Day. I have always pronounced it as baloney though. Get your local deli to cut you some 1/4" thick slices and fry it. Best way to eat it. I always top it with a slice of cheddar or American cheese after flipping it and eat it with a knife and fork. Dip it into your favorite mustard.
Everybody have a wonderful day.

Willie - Glad you made it home safe. Looks like you're due for some rain from Hurricane Willa.
Justin - Congratulations on the coming addition to your family freight train. May all go well.
Terry - Hope you feel better

Louis - Tiers are all about prescription drugs. Tier one is the least expensive generics that insurance companies like the most, tier five are expensive non-generic ones that leave you with expensive co-pays. Tier ones usually work as well as anything, but your doc doesn't get a kickback for allowing them. Guess that you didn't drink de-caf this morning!:p

Thanks Willie!

I was not clear about tiers, thanks again. My Mom takes one prescription, two medications combined in one. I take both of those medications, but in separate pills. Her one perscription costs almost 10 times more then all of my prescriptions combined. I asked her doctor (I always go in with her, because she wants me there and I am glad to be there) "why is her medication so expensive" his answer; "the convince of having to only take one pill, ask the pharmacists if they can give you 2" Now I have an idea of why he would not write 2 prescriptions.

People who are preying on the elderly and sick are In for a big surprise come judgment day. Same goes for all the cheaters. liars and various other low life scum bags in the world.

I believe in life you can do what ever you want, take whatever you want, but sooner or later there will be a price to pay. Freewill is a double edge sword, it cuts both ways.

I never drink decaffeinated coffee! 100% Columbian for me.

I do drink caffeine free soda, but only after 10-20 cups of coffee.

Good morning Everybody!

Beautiful day here in southeast Baltimore.

1540392334513.png

Good morning. 44 degrees and overcast today. My not get up into the 60's as forecasted unless the sun comes out.

Johnny - Sound like you've been busy. I am so happy that we have no more renovation projects to do. We worked for 2 summers renovating the kitchen and gutting two bathrooms. Also put in a new electrical panel and put new flooring throughout the main level of the house. Last year was mostly outside work, renovating two decks.

Willie - Glad that you were also able to get better rates from DirecTV. Never hurts to give it a try. We were also offered Sunday ticket but we no longer watch football. My wife was also a football fan, but she lost interest after the kneeling garbage.

Justin - Glad to hear that the new arrival will be here soon. Bst of luck to you and the better half.

Last week I had mentioned that I was having problems with this little switcher.

IMAG0945-1.jpg

I was thinking of chucking it but a number of yo mentioned that I should work on it instead. Yesterday I tore it apart and lubricated the gears. It was a noisy little critter ever since it came out of the box. After lubricating everything, I set it on the rails with a few cars behind it and let it run for a couple of hours while I did other things. When I came back down, the noise was dramatically reduced. It was always a smooth runner and it ran even smoother. One thing I also did was to replace the plastic couplers. One thing that I didn't like was how far the couplers stuck out. I have bulk packs of Kadee 158's and the shank was quite a bit shorter. Make it look quite a bit better.

20181024_081403.jpg 20181023_130105.jpg 20181023_130057.jpg

Even with all of the work, it still has a problem. Sometimes it will not start moving. I know it it getting voltahe because you can see the headlights comme on, but it will just sit there. I tap on top of the hood will get it moving.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Here's a rail picture for today.

eff4e896ac08d11f3d7b3aa263fe640a.jpg

Later

Chet, the lack of movement is probably because the brushes aren't contacting the commutator. If yours is accessible, remove the brush springs and stretch them slightly, which should do the trick.
As for the noise, most of it is simply the shape, size, and thickness of the body, allowing it to set up a resonance that causes a vibration that we hear as noise. I've had some success with them in making sure all the pieces, such as the cab, are firmly attached (glued) to the shell, which minimizes vibrations and noise.

Another bright, sunny day here in the Republic? .... Supposed to be 82 today - up from 81 yesterday!
I spent most of yesterday filling out my ballot to mail in. It's no wonder that most folks are confused about the issues. There are 12 Statewide measures (well, now 11 due to the State Court nixing the measure to divide the State into 3 parts) The politicians have a way of wording the measures so that you have to vote opposite of what you initially think. It's their way of getting stuff passed that they know you wouldn't dare vote for on a straight up vote!

Did a lot of looking at the various companies, plans, and trying to compare on TV viewing. We had Verizon for years - internet, cell, and tv - then Verizon sold out to Frontier and at that time we switched TV to Direct TV -- now we are paying three billings as opposed to one. We went with Direct TV soes we could have TV in the RV too, but we are not happy with it. They keep screwing up our recording schedule and stuff that we had recorded disappears at times and then some of it reappears later on.
I know NOTHING when it comes to all this electronic stuff, but I think that I am going to be forced to learn it. We still have Verizon for our phones, but they keep jacking up the cost. I really hate to change because we have never had any problem with reception no matter where we were. Why does "life" have to be so complicated?

Contributors to the gofundme should have gotten a brief update about what is new in our world. I'm not good at those kind of "newsie" updates, so it was pretty brief and to the point.

Not sure that I understand the "update", Terry .. glad that I could help too! I was hoping to see a few more from this group be it 10, 20, or 1000.
I Hope that you are able to follow through with "others" suggestions on help from other various agencies.

A very nice addition to the flight deck, eh Sherrel!

Sure has my attention, RAY!

Chet, the lack of movement is probably because the brushes aren't contacting the commutator. If yours is accessible, remove the brush springs and stretch them slightly, which should do the trick.
As for the noise, most of it is simply the shape, size, and thickness of the body, allowing it to set up a resonance that causes a vibration that we hear as noise. I've had some success with them in making sure all the pieces, such as the cab, are firmly attached (glued) to the shell, which minimizes vibrations and noise.

I'll give it a try. I would hate not to be abke to use this little guy.

Good Morning Everyone....Sunny and cool here in Wisconsin. Just returned from having the oil change in my Chevrolet Silverado. A bit pricey, but with the new oils, I change the oil every four thousand miles, in-spite of manufacture's recommendation for 7,500 miles between oil changes.

Chet: I think Terry is right on with his advice about the brushes not making contact with the rotor. I bet this critter has a lot of miles on the motor. One other thought to add...have you considered using an electrical contact cleaner to clean the engine's motor commutator This should help along with additional spring pressure.

It is a great looking switcher.

Willie and Sherrel: Once a customer signs up for TV, telephone or internet service the company is $$$ money ahead since the infra-structure is already in place. Additional or retaining customers equals more profit without any large expenses incurred by the service provider.

Train time this afternoon and pack for a trip to the cabin this weekend.

That's all for now......

Greg

Last edited:
Took the little critter apart again to see if the brushes could be accessed and if they can, it is beyond my capability.

20181024_113624.jpg 20181024_113642.jpg

It looks like there may be a clip holding the brushes in and I just don't want to attempt to take such a small motor apart.

At least it looks better wit the new couplers. Grin.gif

Afternoon All,

Haven't accomplished much today other than voting and a trip to ALDI. Tomorrow I'm going up to Jon's to replace the part on the TT bridge. Friday Son and I are going to the movie Hunter Killer. I'm sure it will be ridiculous. Friday morning I also need to see the Vampire in advance of my annual checkup at the VA. Based on real life I'm guessing the 6th Saturday of the week will be my first opportunity to get to the workbench.:)

Willie- I like fried bologna sandwiches. A hold over from childhood.

Louis- Yikes! 10-20 cups. I drink 1 regular in the morning and 1 Decaf mid afternoon. Anything more than that affects my sleep.

Sherrel- Don't feel alone. We have 12 amendments on our ballot. The most in FL history.

Chet- Sounds like it's running better than it was. Interesting rail photo.

Terry- Hope you feel better.

20181024_143613.jpg

I hope everybody has a good night.

Took the little critter apart again to see if the brushes could be accessed and if they can, it is beyond my capability.

View attachment 31343 View attachment 31344

It looks like there may be a clip holding the brushes in and I just don't want to attempt to take such a small motor apart.

At least it looks better wit the new couplers. View attachment 31345
Those brushes appear to be the type that have clip on caps that hold them in place, but the capacitors?/wires soldered to them are restricting them from being unclipped. Probably have to desolder them to get them out.

I've never had good luck desoldering brush caps, unless I remove the motor. Nice thing is that the capacitor and brush leads will be pre-tinned with solder for when we reattach them.

Never know what you may find once the caps come off. But, brushes can be found on the web at several sources. Or, look for a used unit on the web and swap out the brushes or perhaps the motor, if there's no hurry..??? :rolleyes:

Greg

Once it is running, it runs extremely smooth. I don't really want to start taking this apart. It has been sent to the shops for evaluation. I'll give Bachmann a call and see if they have an idea or if they will repair it.

20181024_141108.jpg

Good morning. 44 degrees and overcast today. My not get up into the 60's as forecasted unless the sun comes out.

Johnny - Sound like you've been busy. I am so happy that we have no more renovation projects to do. We worked for 2 summers renovating the kitchen and gutting two bathrooms. Also put in a new electrical panel and put new flooring throughout the main level of the house. Last year was mostly outside work, renovating two decks.

Chet: We're eyeing next year for some outside work - painting the entire exterior of the house, one minor wood repair, and ripping out an old walkway and putting in a new one as well as adding and changing the landscaping around the new walkway. That's if we can recover financially from this current interior remodel :eek:

Once it is running, it runs extremely smooth. I don't really want to start taking this apart. It has been sent to the shops for evaluation. I'll give Bachmann a call and see if they have an idea or if they will repair it.

View attachment 31347
It certainly sounds like the brushes have worn down to the point of just touching enough to keep the motor turning once it starts, but not able to pass enough current to get it moving from standstill. Needs to be fixed to prevent sparking wear on the commutator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back