Pre-printed background and backdrop scenes

Raincoat2

This morning I've been on several websites that sell backgrounds for model railroads: backdropwarehouse.com, railroadbackdrops.com, realisticbackgrounds.com, tracksidescenery.com, etc. They all seem a bit pricey, especially backdrop warehouse. But I do need some mountain/hill backgrounds for two 10-foot sections of my layout. Anyone had any experience with any of these companies, or suggest another one? Thanks.

Have a look at this I just purchased 20 Ft from them at about 1/4 of the cost of the places you listed. Great stuff to work with. I bought the premier backdrop as it has a self stick back. It come in 5FT sections so it was easily handled by one person.

https://ajmrailways.com/model-railways/Model-Railway-Backdrop.html

Here’s the first 18 Ft of 75 I have to do. The cost is in AUD so it will be cheaper than what’s shown on the website once it converts to USD. This cost me about $63 shipped.

0181A785-9B54-43D1-AC31-D60FC63DDD44.jpeg

A342925F-D65B-4FF9-A427-F519E4BA7E65.jpeg
802FBD35-CBA2-46D4-8D85-AD5B192FD752.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to add that it ships from the UK so it takes 7-10 days to arrive, so if you’re in a hurry this might be a consideration.

Mike - Yeah, that's nicer prices than the ones I've been on. A question - - are these on pretty thin paper, or is it a thicker stock that they're printed on. I ask because they're not going to be taped or glued to a wall. I will build a framework and staple them to that.

It’s not really that thick. I would compare it to contact paper that you line cupboards with. The first ones I received were not the premier brand, and those were definitely paper. These feel more like a vinyl, and the premier are sticky back. If You left the back on them, and stapled them that would increase the thickness. I stuck mine to primed Masonite.

I got a set of desert scene. I'll install that in an isolated part of my basement wall to see how it looks. I'll have about 70 more feet or so of wall to cover. Right now, I'm looking at hand painting it but if the printed backdrop works, I just might buy more of them.

I believe Detail Associates had some backdrops in years past, that were painted.

FWIW, I've observed that at least in photos, some times the lighting in the backdrop photo doesn't match the lighting of the foreground, which I find takes away from the visual effect you're trying to achieve. I haven't resolved this yet on my layout.

I received the backdrops. Yeah, they're a bit brighter than I thought they would be, but then, they're desert scenes.
I will have to cut the sky part of the paper away and only use my painted wall sky. The paper also has a white border about 1/4" wide that will have to be cut away.
The photo has forground that appears much larger than HO scale so I will just have to slide the paper down to the point where the size matches my 3D scenery.

Back