Railroad Movies

Brakeman Hal

How many of you own Railroad movies?

I have four:

The Train (Steam, Burt Lancaster)

Unstoppable (Diesel, Denzel Washington)

Emperor Of The North (Steam, Lee Marvin)

Runaway Train (Diesel, Jon Voight)

Hogger Hal

How many of you own Railroad movies?
I'm certain I have many but the only one's that you haven't mentioned that I can think of are:

Silver Streak (gene wilder) Laserdisc
The General (Buster Keaton) VHS tape
Denver & Rio Grande (cast of bunches) VHS tape
Railrodder (also Buster Keaton) DVD

Of course many movies with trains where the train isn't the main character. North by Northwest, Cat Ballou, White Christmas, 3:10 to Yuma, etc.

Last edited:
I don’t own any train movies but have seen several of the mentioned ones above.

A few of my favorite:

Von Ryan’s Express
Atomic Train
The Fugitive

Probably will remember more later.

Atomic Train
Refresh my memory. Is Atomic Train about the monster train on 24 gauge rail that runs on nuclear fuel, or is it the one about the train with a nuclear payload in one of the box cars and it runs away "down" the mountain toward Denver.

Thanks for the replies, Gentlemen.

I was talking about the railroad movies I OWN, not the ones I have seen, which include all you mentioned.

Hogger Hal

In was thinking of o
I'm certain I have many but the only one's that you haven't mentioned that I can think of are:

Silver Streak (gene wilder)
The General (Buster Keaton)
Denver & Rio Grande (cast of bunches)
Railrodder (also Buster Keaton)

Of course many movies with trains where the train isn't the main character. North by Northwest, Cat Ballou, White Christmas, 3:10 to Yuma, etc.
Do layout videos count?

Greg

No, I was talking about the Hollywood productions shown in Theatres.
Hal

Oh, had the wife check the list.
In our library we also have :
Great Train Robbery - British
Planes trains and Automobiles
Hurricane Express
- John Wayne
The Lone Ranger (new) has lots of trains in it.
Under Siege II
The great locomotive chase - Disney
Wild Wild West - the Wanderer

And checking our list I find I DO NOT have Unstoppable in any format.

Does Bridge on the River Kwai count?
Throw Mama from the train --- I don't even remember if it really features a train.

Last edited:
Breakheart Pass 1975, Charles Bronson. Virtually all on board the train (steam) on the Cumbres & Toltec IIRC
And you can't forget "Haargh (High) Nooon" (Noon) with Gary Cooper, now, can you?
"The Taking of Pelham 123" with Robert Shaw and an all star cast, for the subway fans.

Can't own up to owning them, but do have "The Sting" with it's great card game scenes. A best movie of all time.

Last edited:
Very EARLY Jimmy Cagney film. Back when safety was NOT a concern when making movies.

Other Men's Women. Lots of SP locos.

"High Noon" shows the train approaching and Frank Miller and his men getting off at the Hadleyville Station. The total length of time the train appeared on the screen was about one minute.

Hardly a "Railroad Movie"!

Hal

"High Noon" shows the train approaching and Frank Miller and his men getting off at the Hadleyville Station. The total length of time the train appeared on the screen was about one minute.

Hardly a "Railroad Movie"!

Hal
Ah yes, but the whole plot of the movie was about waiting for it to arrive.

Toot...I never thought of it that way!

The movie clock was continuously showing the time remaining until Sheriff Kane was to meet Frank Miller.

This is the only movie I know of where the time on the movie clock exactly matched the real time if you set your watch to the clock in the Hadleyville Hotel lobby when the movie started.

Thanks for bringing up that fact!

Brakeman Hal

Another fun movie with Lloyd Nolan as Mike Shane "Sleepers West" Watching the steam engine and train hit a fuel truck sitting across the rails got MY attention!

About the only ones I own are the video type, specifically about trains. Another movie though, somewhat newer (If 1986 is newer :eek:) is "Tough Guys" Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, (who as I remember got pleasantly worn out) and Eli Wallach.

Back