Transfer Cabooses (Cabeese)

beiland

I've long been a fan of transfer cabooses. Somewhere in my files I have LOTS of pics of this big variety of cars. And I have a number of them as well as kits for them, as well as flat cars, and other cars that might be kit-bashed into them.

So it was with an admiring eye that I spotted this one at a train show this weekend. Had to have it, whether it was prototypical or not.

DSCF3007.jpg

beiland: I like transfer caboose(s) as well and have a C&NW and a Milwaukee from I believe the Buford shops. If my information is correct, each road built their own transfer caboose(s) using materials on hand and many time used parts of other standard size caboose(s) to manufacture the transfer caboose(s), so kit blashing would be in order.

This is the first time I've a bay window transfer caboose.

Some are still in operation for short hopes, but the UP in the Butler Yard uses an old C&NW caboose for the switching moves.

Nice looking model.

Greg

So it was with an admiring eye that I spotted this one at a train show this weekend. Had to have it, whether it was prototypical or not.
It is a model railroad of The Ocala Model Railroaders organization. I really like it what a snappy logo, and I'm a sucker for things yellow (other than UP). Of course I tried using these two colors together for my Pine Ridge Railroad but all equipment ended up looking like Crayola crayon boxes, so I abandon it.

This is the first time I've a bay window transfer caboose.
It is a Missouri Pacific design. I believe they were introduced at the same time as the Eagle logo was taking over the buzz saw. Built by ummm International Car company. At least that is from my observation, because I used to see them -- apparently brand new -- in Wichita all the time. The were not just used on transfers but regularly left town on merchandise freights headed out west.

Last edited:
It is a model railroad of The Ocala Model Railroaders organization. I really like it what a snappy logo, and I'm a sucker for things yellow (other than UP). Of course I tried using these two colors together for my Pine Ridge Railroad but all equipment ended up looking like Crayola crayon boxes, so I abandon it.

IH ..You are a funny man!
Beiland .. I like your style. Somewhere, I have photos of a Milwaukee and a KCS transfer cab - along with my love - the SLSF! I'll try and get them added to this post in a day or so?

Beiland, Great model! Also, do you know when railroads started using the Transfer Caboose? I do not recall ever seeing Transfer Cabooses on the Northern Pacific.

"Shirley", I thought you where and "On3" narrow Gauge, Rio Grande Southern modeler? What's up with the Milwaukee, KCS and St. Louis/San Francisco stuff?

Beiland, Great model! Also, do you know when railroads started using the Transfer Caboose? I do not recall ever seeing Transfer Cabooses on the Northern Pacific.

"Shirley", I thought you where and "On3" narrow Gauge, Rio Grande Southern modeler? What's up with the Milwaukee, KCS and St. Louis/San Francisco stuff?

From living in the KC area for several years!
Mark -- you keep forgetting that I have modeled in so many gauges that now I am totally lost?
Sort of overlooked "S gauge" somehow - except for my MARX stuff!

I too like the transfer cabooses. Like Greg, I picked up one from the Buford Shops and painted it for my freelance railroad.

20181011_145225.jpg

Last edited:
Sherrel and Beiland: In the Coffee Shop I posted a photograph of Milwaukee transfer caboose.

But here's another...

Milwaukee Transfer Cabosse Pic #2.jpg

Greg

Not sure how I got the two images but I also have a photo of a well worn matching unit from 2013 in Winona, MN.

From living in the KC area for several years!
Mark -- you keep forgetting that I have modeled in so many gauges that now I am totally lost?
Sort of overlooked "S gauge" somehow - except for my MARX stuff!

So, what your saying is that modeling in different gauges leads to Alzheimers?

Beiland, Back on the 11th of October, I asked you when Transfer Cabooses in the configuration you've shown, come into being? I model the Northern Pacific in 1953 and I don't recall ever having seen such on the N.P. The N.P. was merged into the B.N. around 1970. Possibly, they came into use after this time period?

I am receiving notices of new postings now.

Mark, I truly don't know the history of any of these transfer cabeese.

RailFest in Palatka

Sat, 2018-10-20 11:58 — railandsail

I just just over at 'RailFest' in Palatka. FL yesterday morning.
www.railsofpalatka.org
The Ocala Model Railroad Club was there with a portion of their n scale modules. There was also one table with some HO gear on it,...along with 2 of those transfer cabeese, new in their boxes. I didn't ask of their prices as I already had one.

...back to work now on my 'metal benchwork'...got some hung yesterday,...went pretty quick once I sorted out which pieces for what locations.

Moloco Transfer Caboose Kit

once bought a Red Caboose flatcar and Moloco transfer caboose conversion. I never built it, and have since decided to part ways with them.

Thanks for reminding me of that kit . I think I have a few of these.

https://www.molocotrains.com/products/3001?variant=6859709572

...and here is the construction of one of those kits..
http://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?threads/how-to-building-a-rail-yard-caboose-kit.39225/

08-12-02_IMG_6068_Caboose.jpg

Last edited:

Back