Royal Pacific Railway Layout....

I think that would be the 27th version of the plan and starting on the 27th seems like the stars have aligned!
Only 27 versions? Hmm that doesn't include all of the versions that were tried and rejected :)

Seriously, I think this is it though, I doubt I can improve on anything or make any other changes without a "major" redesign of everything. The only thing that I am a little up in the air about is the Main Station area. I don't know if I want to locate the station "between the tracks" or swap the Station and Northern Track around.

Seriously, I think this is it though, I doubt I can improve on anything or make any other changes without a "major" redesign of everything. The only thing that I am a little up in the air about is the Main Station area. I don't know if I want to locate the station "between the tracks" or swap the Station and Northern Track around.
Why not both? Station to the north and a station platform between the tracks.

That would be good, very good I think. The only issue I see with doing that is with the space I have between the track to the north of the platform and the inner track at the top of the layout, as it is, I only have about 10" of space there.

IF I could move the "inner single track" to the north of the main line then what you propose would be doable AND look great. Unless I increase the grade on the main line up there, and increase it fairly significantly, I don't have the clearance for the inner track to pass under the main line. Alternatively, I could (maybe) have the inner single track passing "over" the main line (which is what I would prefer to be honest) but again, I would have to change the grades on both lines fairly significantly.

At the moment my grades are 2% - 2.3%. Some people claim you can go as high as 4% with N Scale and that 3% isn't an issue. I am a little sceptical of those claims; although, if they are accurate, then making the changes may well be possible.

Okay - Build #28 ...

FlcdkSp.jpg

Horseman, I'm assuming that is a good thing :)

Chet, I'll post more as the build moves along. Right now I am waiting for more rail joiners to turn up so things are on hold for the moment, hopefully I'll be able to continue this Friday.

Tony, your creativity is amazing. I draw up track plans and inevitably I end up with ovals. At best the ovals are interconnected.

You got me thinking, thanks for sharing your work.

I draw up track plans and inevitably I end up with ovals. At best the ovals are interconnected.
Layout design is a learned and developed art, usually acquired by many, many trial and errors. On the other hand the essence of all layouts come down to about 6 basic constructs that are then combined, folded, and/or twisted upon themselves. For example in its base form, this layout is a double track oval with an alternate route. It is then squeezed and folded over itself in the middle to make better use of the available space. I am certain you are being too hard on yourself.

Last edited:
Have had a busy couple of days but am almost at the end of the track laying. This is where I am at the moment:

4oWDoEX.jpg

HAVTtLd.jpg

IWChRXu.jpg

All that remains is about 7' of track to be laid then I can look at the sub roadbed and ready the ply for cutting that out.

And this is how it will possibly end up:

bYJtn5K.jpg

Last edited:

Back