Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Good morning, everybody ... Coffee and a donut, please. ....

Terry ... Continued prayers for your wife.

Karl .... The B&O switchers look good.

Louis ... You're busy. I like the bicentennial switchers. I see Chessie did not keep the gold locomotive clean. .... the Lionel Amtrak train looks impressive. You said you bought the whole train. Nice ! .... Speaking of Amazon stock. I thought it would be a good investment a year ago, but the shares were almost $1,000 each. My broker wants me to buy in 100 share lots, and I was not going to invest $100,000. Now each share is almost $2000. Some of my mutual funds have it though. ... I'll bet anything, the tax cuts will be extended for ordinary people before they expire in 6 years. Meanwhile, everybody is better off. The tax cuts are doing what they were intended to do.

Chet .... The building interior is very nice, but now I wonder why a speedboat is in it. .... Your F9 project looks like fun. ... Glad you were not blown off the road with the winds. ... I like the photo of the old passenger train.

Willie and Chet .... You were talking about Ken D&J. I miss his comments here , and I wish he would return.

Below are my BLI E7's rolling through the country...

30503436878_cc411fe35a_b.jpg

Tax cuts, I'm still not finished with 2017! I'll know first hand soon enough about my tax cuts for 2018. I'll let you know what I think ;)

I hope they keep buying from Amazon, I love my job!

Jeff Bezos is rich because he is brilliant. When the his stock went down and experts laughed at him for wasting his profits building his fulfilment centers to meet capacity far beyond his sales. He knew what he was doing.

He also starts entry level people 3-5 dollars above minimum wage. Much better than some others.

Nobody comes close to Amazon's capacity. That has been the key. That and Prime Memberships over billion members world wide.

Louis .... I saw the growth of Amazon warehouses in Sherpherdsville, KY (near Louisville) in recent years, and started following the stock prices then. ...The tax cuts help everybody by growing the economy as well as increasing take home pay.

I'll bet anything, the tax cuts will be extended for ordinary people before they expire in 6 years. Meanwhile, everybody is better off. The tax cuts are doing what they were intended to do.

The tax cuts help everybody by growing the economy as well as increasing take home pay.
One look at the economic numbers for the second quarter (and Amazon's growth) really bears that out. I agree about the extension; Congress is already talking about it.

Morning All! Won't comment about weather other than to say that it has remained the same for the past two weeks. Bee-U-Tee-Full, but we sure could use some moisture!

Karl: Great photo of the switchers!
Garry: Great photo .. Your RR must be rich the way the ballast is piled on?
Terry: Good to hear from you yesterday afternoon. I was at the dog park with my mutts. Really hope/pray that Marie continues to improve.
Willie: Next time I "drop-in" on you - I may have to spend two days. One to go back to that great restaurant and one for you to grill me something?
Chet: The details of the Club in the scenery department are simply amazing. Never seen that much detail on a club layout before. Nice pikesize train for the photo -- loco and 4 cars.
Dave in CA: I finally learned the art of sheet rock work on my third restoration (down to the studs), replace everything on 1910 built structures. Use a wide trowel and very thin coats - its easier to apply another coat than to sand! I still hated to do the ceilings!
Taxes: My taxes will go up next year, bummer. What's disgusting is that I will still have to keep up with deductions for the State filing!
Ken D&J: Last I heard from him - he was in Northern CA, I think around Redding? I'll text him this morning - see if he responds.

Now the Demoidiots want to boycott In & Out hamburgers because they contributed to the Republican Party - God help us!

Now that things have calmed down somewhat here (I hope), I'll relate a story of an unidentified person traveling to the hospital in the next town where his wife had very recently been sent to the i tensive care unit...:

Driving on the Interstate in the left lane, somewhat over the speed limit, and closely following a silver Dodge Charger that was slowing him down.
"C'mon, Buddy! Won't that piece of sh*t go any faster!!!"
Glanced at speedometer, 92mph.
Glanced back up at "slow" Charger in left lane, State Trooper traveling with emergency lights on...

oops...

Dave in CA: I finally learned the art of sheet rock work on my third restoration (down to the studs), replace everything on 1910 built structures. Use a wide trowel and very thin coats - its easier to apply another coat than to sand! I still hated to do the ceilings!
SHERRELL I learned long ago, "When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging" The damage has been done. I'm going with stucco next.....…….
Dave

Willie -- Maybe you already do something, but I have found that spraying around the perimeter of my house and all door facings - as well as around the baseboards inside - has eliminated the bug and spider problem here at the homestead where I usually try and spray at least once a year. Note to self here - Haven't sprayed in two years, but still none seen. I use the home defence bought in the gallon size at HD - I believe it is made by Ortho? Spiders, Black Widows, are plentiful in this area along with scorpions; even my garage, which looks like a junkyard, is clear of them. I see all the neighbors paying $40 and up a month for bug control - I shell out about $10.00 a year.

Last edited:
Morning All! Won't comment about weather other than to say that it has remained the same for the past two weeks. Bee-U-Tee-Full, but we sure could use some moisture!

Karl: Great photo of the switchers!
Garry: Great photo .. Your RR must be rich the way the ballast is piled on?
Terry: Good to hear from you yesterday afternoon. I was at the dog park with my mutts. Really hope/pray that Marie continues to improve.
Willie: Next time I "drop-in" on you - I may have to spend two days. One to go back to that great restaurant and one for you to grill me something?
Chet: The details of the Club in the scenery department are simply amazing. Never seen that much detail on a club layout before. Nice pikesize train for the photo -- loco and 4 cars.
Taxes: My taxes will go up next year, bummer. What's disgusting is that I will still have to keep up with deductions for the State filing!
Ken D&J: Last I heard from him - he was in Northern CA, I think around Redding? I'll text him this morning - see if he responds.

Now the Demoidiots want to boycott In & Out hamburgers because they contributed to the Republican Party - God help us!

Sherrell- You might want to clue those DI's into the fact that the Snyder family contributes even more to the Dems(about 52/48%). Boycotting In & Out will probably have the same result that the boycotts of CFA did. Customer lines out the door & around the building.

Sherrell- You might want to clue those DI's into the fact that the Snyder family contributes even more to the Dems(about 52/48%). Boycotting In & Out will probably have the same result that the boycotts of CFA did. Customer lines out the door & around the building.

Yeppers, Mike .... Just like the Como? statement about America never being great! Their eyeballs are so full of the "brown stuff" that it affects their thinking! Just maybe they ought to engage brain before opening mouth?

Garry = Love the Burlington E units. Nice photo.

Louis - I know I'll keep buying frmn Amazon. I can get so many items through them that are not availablelocally, or if the are, way over priced.

Sherrel - If yo do manage to get in touch with Ken, tell him not to be a stranger. A lot of us miss his posts. I have some pmore photos from the club and will try to post them tomorrow. Haven't down loaded them yet. They are mostly from the town of Gardiner n the layout. I have see ( and have somewhere) the actual photos that were used. The details is incredible. So far as boycotting In and Out Burgers, it just shows how stupid they are. We don't have them up here, but I had some last year when we were in Las Vegas and they are some of the best burgers I have ever had.

The lawn is mowed and all of the laundry is done. Time to relax. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

40055260_1944563495578875_4956309323765514240_n.jpg

Burp - Later

Last edited:
Louis - I know I'll keep buying frmn Amazon. I can get so many items through them that are not availablelocally, or if the are, way over priced.

The lawn is mowed and all of the laundry is done. Time to relax. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

View attachment 30159

Burp - Later
Chet you need a raft with ice for your half keg, quarter keg might be eve better, but defiantly some ice! Nice dream by the way.

Yard, laundry and buying from Amazon!?! Good man, you earned a cold one, get some ice man! :)

This should fit a quarter keg and 50lbs of ice nicely and it should be easy to pull next to you,
https://www.amazon.com/Swimways-Spr...8-7&keywords=pool+rafts+and+floats+for+adults

It's versatile, it's not just for beer ;)
1535785116560.png

Speaking of the economy, no political remark here, I just like this Phrase from a hero of mine "Voodoo Economics!" Just seems to some up the crap for me. :) George H. W. Bush.

I can't proclaim to understand something experts with many more years of experience, not to mention PHDs routinely argue over.

I just don't want no more damn bubbles, computer bubble bursts, I lose $3,000-$10,000 a week in lost sales. Dot com bubble bursts, I lose $1,500-$10,000 a month in revenue. Hosing bubble burst, stocks lose value, God help me!

I see a Trump bubble bursting... I need a Tylenol, but they are not a good idea for me.

Yet I remian optimistic and I have plan B, as always!

Many people blame the government or the economy and or any number of a million reasons why they struggle. I never cared; who was in the white house, who was in congress or the supreme court. What the unemployment rate was or the prime interest rate, not even the Dow! There are a million reasons to fail, you only need one reason to succeed. That is to say, if and it's a big if, "if you have good health in your family" We need to take health care of the backs of the people somehow. We will all need it sometime or another. I found out I was not superman.

I know this is not fair https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/business/bankruptcy-older-americans.html

I have not posted this in some time.

1535794478933.png

It looks even more impressive in person. The factious Lionel Model that is.

Thank you King Toot, worked great for me!
Thanks mate. It's a bit blurry and obviously the old Cannon camera isn't up to it, I've still to learn how to use youtube's editing. I have a camera on the way, that I'm hoping is like the one Chet used for his round the Livingston club's layout vid. Has a widescreen capability and Hi def. There's a few places on our layout a tripod could be used if no-one else was there, but mostly it will be hand held recording.

Pennsylvania Railroad's GG1 (copied and pasted from Lionel) http://visionline.lionel.com/gg1.php

Amid the height of the Great Depression, the Pennsylvania Railroad continued an ambitious modernization process of its mainlines between New York, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. The investment kept employees working during the lean years and would pay dividends as World War II brought record-setting traffic levels to what was already the world’s busiest rail corridor.

As part of these improvements, the Standard Railroad of the World needed a new locomotive for mainline operations. True to its engineering pedigree, the Pennsylvania began vigorous testing of two potential designs in 1934. When the victor was chosen, Raymond Loewy was given the task to refine the new power house into a modern beauty.

Loewy’s vision – a locomotive which appeared to be already at speed as the passengers walked beside it on the station platform – provided not only a fitting shroud but a unique form as striking and iconic today as it was on its debut.

While the public marveled at their looks, railroaders quickly came to respect these new motors for what lay under the hood. Designed to propel heavy passenger trains at sustained 100 mph jaunts, the GG1’s were quickly proven capable of much more.

A total of 139 locomotives were completed by 1943. Used in both passenger and freight service throughout their careers, GG1’s could be found on everything from the Broadway Limited to ore trains.

The legendary status of the GG1 grew stronger with age. Outliving the PRR itself, the G’s went on to serve Penn Central, Amtrak, Conrail and New Jersey Transit. They finally lost their grip on the catenary in 1985. Today 16 of the memorable motors have been preserved in museums, some far from the corridors they once owned.

The GG1 is no stranger to the Lionel catalog. First cataloged in 1947, the instantly-recognizable face of a GG1 has captivated generations of fans. It continues to call to us today.

In homage to the Pennsylvania, who’s engineers and management alike appreciated the refinement of a locomotive to its zenith, Lionel is proud to raise the pantographs, and the bar against which all other models will be judged, yet again.

What makes our newest GG1 a VISION GG1? Let’s start from the top!

A brand-new “catenary arc” light effect is built into the collection bars atop the pantographs. You’ll see, and hear, the sparks as the train rides along “under the wires.” As anyone who has ever watched an electric train pass, especially at night, can attest, this arcing effect is a memorable part of the experience. And it’s now available on your models for the first time.

We’ve also refined the design of the pantographs themselves. The pantographs will raise and lower appropriately and automatically as you start the engine, change direction or shut down. You can also raise or lower the pantographs with the touch of a button on your LEGACY remote. The pantographs are now sprung to ride realistically on catenary, or just prevent accidental damage if you press down on them in the raised position.

Perhaps the only thing as memorable as the sight of a GG1 is the deep sound of those big single-chime air horns. That horn will come to life with stereo sound from speakers mounted at both ends of the locomotive adding dimension and depth unobtainable from a single speaker sound system. Additional sounds, like the coupler opening when the ElectroCoupler™ is fired, will be localized to the proper end of the locomotive.

Our new VISION GG1 will include both the welded car body used for the 138 production units and an all new riveted car body so that we can accurately deliver the original “Old Rivets” in all her glory. Lionel is working directly with the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania to bring you the most prototypically accurate models of these remarkable locomotives.

Back