Fantasy Layout Design Help?

KB02

The parameters:
HO Scale
5'x8' foot layout... with a 2'x4' hole in the middle.
Trains can enter/exit from one of the long sides
Nothing super tall, but some kind of industry.
Other than that, Free reign!

In my train room, which is a basement bar, I have a pool table. This pool table has a 2'x4' florescent light above it. The fantasy thought is building an extension to my layout that could be raised or lowered over the pool table so that I could run trains or play pool... which even suites my fancy. What do you all think?

Oh, and here I was thinking Dungeons & Dragons, Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, Dragon Rider's of Pern, My Little Ponys, or Star Wars sort of thing. Maybe like Dick Knotts' Troll and Elfin.

If it is going to be lowered over a pool table, why the hole in the middle? Are you going to just make an ovalish backdrop to put in there so it isn't too deep? Is the pool table an addition onto this fantasy layout? Isn't it going to be in the way anyways when you pay pool.

The light fixture above the pool table should fit into the whole in the layout when it gets raised up off of the table. That way the light can shine onto the table while the layout is all the way up. When lowered down, the hole would just be a lake or something to that effect.

Based on the dimensions you've given, some areas of the layout will be about 18" deep, along the long side, and about 6" deep along the 'short' side. Any chance you can make the layout larger?

Actually, it would be about 24" on the short sides. Plenty of room there. As for the long sides, to keep a walkable isle on either side of the table, 5' would be abut the max width.

Just a basic starting point to give a visual reference.
snapshot.jpg

Just a basic starting point to give a visual reference.
Is there a plan for how the tracks are going to make the transition from the fixed section onto the liftable section? I've found that transitions like this on a curve are problematic. Maybe instead of curving them out as shown, you could run them across each other (crossing) so that they are straight when they "jump the gap" so to speak.

Well, the theory would be a lift out section. I know what you mean about lift outs an curves, though. A cross over is definitely a thought to consider. Nothing, other than basic baseboard dimensions, is set in stone.

Back