Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

I'm currently in her room in ICU. The plan is to start the weaning process tomorrow morning around 6:00 am. We'll see how it goes.

Just wondered if you are "camped out" there, or will go and come?
Same as the others, Terry. Wishes, thoughts, and prayers for you both.

Just wondered if you are "camped out" there, or will go and come?
Same as the others, Terry. Wishes, thoughts, and prayers for you both.
I'll be leaving in a few minutes. The hospital is only a few minutes from the house, and I have to head back home to walk the dog.

Of course, I made that rationalization a couple of years ago, and my brother died that night when I left...

Progress in the train room! I am giving up on trying to have perfect taping joints, after all it's about trains and the building of railroads; right. ? The finished room will be 11'4" x 9'4". I posted a basic plan under Layouts and Const. All ideas & comments are welcome as my last layout was a 9x5 in 1980.
On another, and more important note, my "tender" went in the ER on Valentines Day and eventually underwent surgery on 6/11 for a blocked duodenum, ulcer scar tissue. She is back at 90% but it still takes a toll and effects both of us. We are going on 45 yrs together next month. I don't know any of you personally, but I still feel sad when someone has to deal with these issues. My thoughts & prayers to you TERRY.
Dave
IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_3378.JPG

Chet, thanks for the expanded info about the optic fibre, I figured the soldering iron's heat would be the way to go. Bought a 2 meter length of 1.5mm off ebay. Expensive stuff, but that should be more than enough for what I'll ever use it for. I'm glad that most of the electrical/electronic stuff comes fitted these days. When Athearn get around to reproducing the latest MRL SD70ACe's that will be joining their fleet, they at least will have LED's factory fitted. They'll be something to watch out for in Livingston in the yard when they arrive. The first, numbered 4319 is out of the paint shop at Progress Rail (4 in total, 4316-4319) in the red "meatball" logo livery) to join the only other one in that scheme, 4312, from the 1st batch. They were acquired ex lease, BHP Australia. The others you may see in that scheme are the 4400 series, which were all built in Mexico.

I'll be leaving in a few minutes. The hospital is only a few minutes from the house, and I have to head back home to walk the dog.

Of course, I made that rationalization a couple of years ago, and my brother died that night when I left...

Keep looking forward Terry.

Good job taking the dog out! I'll bet it was your wife's idea. I'm certain your dog was very happy to see you. Dogs worry about us.

In tough times we have to focus on what needs to be done and what we can do. We can't worry about things beyond our control.

God be with you both, I know many of us, if not all are with you in spirit.

Last edited:
Progress in the train room! I am giving up on trying to have perfect taping joints, after all it's about trains and the building of railroads; right. ? The finished room will be 11'4" x 9'4". I posted a basic plan under Layouts and Const. All ideas & comments are welcome as my last layout was a 9x5 in 1980.
On another, and more important note, my "tender" went in the ER on Valentines Day and eventually underwent surgery on 6/11 for a blocked duodenum, ulcer scar tissue. She is back at 90% but it still takes a toll and effects both of us. We are going on 45 yrs together next month. I don't know any of you personally, but I still feel sad when someone has to deal with these issues. My thoughts & prayers to you TERRY.
Dave
View attachment 30119View attachment 30119
Dave your joints look pretty good to me. These new flat paints can hide almost anything and the hold up good too! Nice work! In situations like ours; if we try to be too perfect we end up getting very little done. Find the sweet spot and let it roll.

I used Glideon Diamond flat paint and I was amazed how well it covered in one coat and how it hide my less that perfect punch-out work.

Maybe I should explain "punch-out" work it's a term we used when I was an apartment painter, yes I have done just about everything. If it was legal, I was willing, as long as the pay was good.

Punch-out is to prepare the room to be painted.

I glad your wife is doing better. You are both blessed to still be together after so long.

Good people care about others, even when they don't know them.

Keep posting pictures, it's good to see somebody is getting things done. Your giving me hope the pace of my progress will improve.

Speaking of hope; where is Ken.

His work always gives me hope as does Chet, Curt, Karl, Garry, Terry and on and on... I miss Jeffery's work and daily pictures. Big E could whip up a layout pretty quick. Thanks to Everybody who posts pictures of their work. I enjoy them.

That's why I enjoy this place. Even a "wana be" modeler is welcome here, by most ;) and gets to converse with the best molders in the world.

Speaking of the best; has anybody heard from CJ?

King Toot?

Optic Fiber, Fiber Optic.

I think it's a left over thing from the Brits. Everybody knows they were the smartest. Their problem was they focused on themselves and lost the world. Thank God America is full f immigrants from all over the world, not just the Brits! ;)

Or maybe they just do a lot of things backwards down under?

I may not be a serial kidder, but like Garry I enjoy a bit of ribbing, but only with the best of my train buddies.

Speaking of best buddies, where is Boris? I hope he is keeping off Putin's radar.

Good morning. It's mostly clear and 71.
As soon as I get breakfast, give the dog her breakfast, and walk her, I'm heading back to the hospital. My phone did not ring last night, though I would not call the time "restful".
And I am having a migraine headache, which is becoming more rare.

Good morning gang
73 and steamy, going back into the 90s. Went to the doc for my check up. All the bloodwork numbers were great, including my A1c of 7.0!
Truckdad, I know drywall can be tough, but tape can be crucial. I rushed the garage and
Regretted it later. In any case, good luck with it.
Terry, Prayers still in order
TTYL

Good morning gang
73 and steamy, going back into the 90s. Went to the doc for my check up. All the bloodwork numbers were great, including my A1c of 7.0!
Truckdad, I know drywall can be tough, but tape can be crucial. I rushed the garage and
Regretted it later. In any case, good luck with it.
Terry, Prayers still in order
TTYL
Well done, 7.0! as Bugs Bunny would say "clean livin' prevails, Doc" I say again, Well Done!

If you do dry wall they way you do your locomotives, I'll bet your walls look like glass.

Good morning all,

Another gorgeous day on tap for central Illinois. 60 degrees to start, and goin up to the low 70s.

Terry, continued thoughts and prayers.

Have a great day everyone!

Optic Fiber, Fiber Optic
You say potato, I say potatoe. Don't forget I also am a foreigner on here (actually foreigner might be spelt differently too, I dun'no) I get tired, you put tires on your cars, I put tyres on mine. Then there's also that I moved from one ex British colony to another and had to learn to "talk different", or I would have been the butt of jokes. At least when we adopted the $ as our currency, we went the whole hog and adopted metrics as our system of measurement, but you poor ex colonials still stuck with the old empires feet, inches and fractions.

C'mon, what you got to say to that!

We tried to convert late 60s, early 70s, but the common sense system found no support with the average American. Our military has converted. We buy Coca-Colaand other drinks in 2 liter, 1 liter, 500ml etc. bottles. Liquor is metric, beer is not, Milk and gas (petrol) is sold by the US gallon, not imperial, thank you.

We are a goofy bunch, and Donald Trump is putting our stupidity on display for all the world to see!

Is that the best reply? C'mon. We've had more Prime Ministers in 10 years than you've had Presidents since WW2 I think, that must count for something?
Rapid fire is not my forte. I have lots on my desk, too much, but you upside downers are too much fun!

PM? Who cares, wait a week and it will be somebody else.

Back