Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon fellas,

Topped out at 90 degrees today, but lower humidity, so it didn't feel as bad as the last several days. Got all of the decking except for a small piece to accommodate the radius on the end cap done today. I spent a lot of time with my two least favorite tools the past week or so.....(Jigsaw, and circular saw).

Got back a while ago from the Dentist. I had a baby tooth I have carted around for 48 years that finally gave up the ghost a couple of days ago. Seems every time I go to the dentist to get something fixed, He finds something else that is "recommended" needing attention. Its usually $500+.

Have a great night all.

Anyone watch YouTube videos about model railroading for inspiration? I find myself going video to video and all it does is make me want to work on my layout. It's a hard urge to fight. If I knew I wasn't going to be moving in the near future I would be full steam ahead. I just don't wanna build my layout to have it destroyed doing a move. Chet congrats on the retirement. I have let's say 32 more years until that day. If I go off of the normal retirement age anyways.

It's retirement day. View attachment 28910 I will now have the time to do the things that I have wanted to do for quite a while.
200.gif

Chet - Congratulations on the retirement. Good luck with your plan. Please let us know how it works out. I had similar ideas when I decided to become my own boss. Let's just say that hasn't happened yet. And I can relate to Justin, except at the current workload I have I'll be able to retire about 6 months after I die, unless things work out to be able to hire a dependable, reliable, and non douchebaggy young person to help me dig holes and trenches. Then I MAY be able to cut that time down to 3 months. Not that I'm complaining, being too busy is a better problem to have than no busy enough. I've been blessed with opportunity and good customers, so maybe good help won't be TOO hard to find.

Chet, congrats on the retirement, now your working life really gets started, no excuses to get out of it now.
I thought I'd go have a look on MRL's pages on rrpicturearchives.net to see if it was there. It was, back in September '14, looking a little newer, paint wise. The color seems to be BNSF's (not surprising) and the load is a front loader. Maybe it's usual consignment. You could upload your pic to the site.
1530693805226.png

Good morning, and happy US Independence Day. It's partly cloudy and 73. Supposed to be not as hot today, with a chance of thunderstorms.

Good morning all. Currently 77° and climbing back into the 90s again. To all of my fellow Americans, Happy Independence Day! So, this morning I have bad news and good news.

The bad: Due to my truck troubles putting me behind schedule and coupled with the job that got behind taking a full day longer than expected, I will not be spending all day behind the bbq as I had intended. But a commitment is a commitment and keeping customers happy means doing what it takes to get the job done.

The good: Found a great deal on track last night, AND the rail boss authorized it's acquisition. $100 bought me 10 turnouts (remote and manual), some straight track, and some curves. The seller said there may or may not be some extras tossed in, but I'll have to wait and see. This is going to go a long way to getting my maintenance yard up and running. Now I just need foam and track bed.

And now for the bonus bummer: Today is a National Holiday and the post office is closed. I have to wait another full day before it even gets shipped. And then I'll have to wait for the snail to deliver it. Oh well. At least I may have some free time when it comes in.

Y'all have safe and happy holiday. Don't eat too much bbq and try not to blow off any fingers.

Good Morning All. Happy Independence Day! 73° and partly cloudy. Looks like we're getting a cool spell here with temperature range between 72° and 93° for the next week or so. We hit 101° for the third day in a row yesterday. Hopefully the pool will cool off slightly, it was 85° when I got in about an hour ago. After making spaghetti sauce Monday, I spent some time yesterday freezing the ripe tomatoes that I still had left. Still have about three dozen ripening on the kitchen table with plenty more in the garden, although somewhat smaller due to the overall lack of ground moisture. With this cooler weather coming up, the plants might set a mid-summer crop for me. Otherwise I will have to wait for the fall for the next bounty.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I completed the shingles on the barn. I have turned my attention to weathering the copper roof on the cupola. I am trying a little "Blacken-It" solution (no longer available) to see what effect it has. Forgot to take a picture, maybe today. Attempted to get some freight delivered to my townspeople, but the engineers were a bit slow. Looks like they will have to do some work today on July 4. There's some priority container traffic that has to move as well. Might even move a unit grain train southward for export, just to keep things fluid; i.e. I always like to keep at least one empty track in staging.

Chet - Haven't really let the shingles bring me down, I knew in advance that it wasn't a quick job. I am not an advocate of "instant gratification" when it comes to modeling anyway. But they have been tedious. They look good and I am looking forward to adding weathering as soon as the cupola is in place. Regarding the second cutting of hay: that's up to Mother Nature. If I get decent rain before the end of July we'll get a second cutting around mid-September. Some years a third cutting is possible. While 2.25 bales/acre is disappointing, it's not far off the average of 3.
Now that you are retiring, you can get that damn bus on a flatcar!;) It seems like I have seen you post about it for years! By the way, you will find yourself busier after retiring for some reason. I did. And the "Honey-Do" list will get longer. But I also believe in staying busy as a way to keep the mind and body in shape. I am coming up on three years next week. Don't miss the work routine at all.
Sherrel - Phones are for talking to other people; cameras are for taking pictures!:D
Mike - Same thing with my dentist. Even with my completely overhauled mouth with eight implants and nine crowns, that he put in!
Justin - Ain't it the truth regarding the You Tube videos! And seeing one makes me want to see a dozen more, I have learned to "just say no". The key to a successful and early retirement (if that's what you want), isn't counting the years, but saving for it now. Don't count exclusively on Sociable Security for retirement. (pun intended)
Jesse - That's a drag having to work today, but your attitude is why you are busy. Keep it up. That is really a good deal on the track, don't fret the delay in shipment. You can't use yet anyway!

Since my wife and kids are on vacation on the Gulf coast this week, I won't be cooking brisket or ribs today.:( Had ribs last week anyway. So I took a rib-eye steak out of the freezer instead. Rib-eye and beer, yummy! While I have the charcoal going, I have a few brauts that I will cook and save for lunches later as well.
Everybody have a happy and safe 4th and don't lose any digits!

Good morning and happy Independence Day.

flag-c.jpg

A chilly start to the day up here showing 36 degrees at 4 AM when out little doxie decided that it was time to eat. Souuld get up into the mid 70's today and then the heat is on.

The plan for today is to get some flowering bushes planted in front of the house and get some mulch down and then later to have some friends and family over for a retirement party. Have some steaks to go on the grill this evening.

Willie - The bus is in the flat car now, it just has to be tied down.

Toot - I should have a bit more time now to search for some equipment for a good flat car load.

Starting to warn up. The flagis flying on the porch and time to get to work.

Later

Happy Independance Day to all.
During one of my train bunch breakfast meeting a couple years ago, I mentioned to one of the guys who had moved here from Great Britain just a few years earlier that his home country had 4th of July too. He was almost indignant and replied in a very thick British accent, "We certainly do not". and I replied, "You sure do. You also have the 3rd and the 5th".

Last edited:
Good morning, everybody..... Happy 4th of july.

Here is an old photo of a 4th of July parade.

]
28325097457_484e3d600e_b.jpg

Last edited:
AH - coffee's ready and the Flag is up! Happy Independence Day to ALL...and to all you who have served -- Thank you for your service!
Better enjoy the temps while we can. Warming up today to 89 and upwards to 99+ starting tomorrow.
Today is the Spousal Unit's mom's 97th BD. A quick coffee, shower, shave, dress, and off to the grocery for vittles. Another Gibson Family BBQ is in store, but the crowd is thinning down from 28 or so to the neighborhood of 15-17. - Ya'll come on down! It will be pool time as well - all day long.
Willie .. The camera would mean another electronic gadget .. I can't keep the ones I have all operating? Waiting to see a photo of the shingles. Many, many years ago - in another land - scratch built a really nice station , yellow with white trim and cut my own shingle strips from grocery store brown bags. They looked just like the Campbell ones quite a work of art. I should have kept several of my builds which were all scratch.

Jesse -- Sorry you have to work today. I remember back when I seemed to have to work all Holiday's, BD's, Anniversary's, and Christmas ... bet I was on the road more than 50% of them. Takes me two hands to count the number of Christmas days I spent at the Holiday Inn across the road from the Pittsburgh Terminal. Even brought the family along on one of them.

Stay safe everyone ... Have a Happy!

Last edited:
Willie - Thank you sir. It was a drag, but I have another satisfied customer that will be spreading my name around the neighborhood. We currently do not advertising of any kind and are booking appointments 3 weeks out. It's all word of mouth. We've gone from a handful of customers at the end of last year to somewhere around 90 now. I've had several tell me that they are willing to wait for us to get to them simply because of the reviews they have read on their neighborhood boards. I thought the track was a bargain. Especially with the cost of new switches. Not sure what kind, but they are better than the ones I currently own.

Sherrel - I've worked my share of all of those. My last government job, maintenance mechanic at a local county park, sent me to a well certification class over 2 hours away from home for a week. A week that my anniversary fell right in the middle of. My wife was not happy. I'm just glad that I only had one job to do today and it is now finished. Time to go home and BBQ!

Justin - I almost forgot about your YouTube comment. I am convinced that model railroad videos on YouTube are the visual equivalent of crack. One leads to another that leads to a dozen more. Then you realize you haven't slept in a week, you have accomplished nothing, and are possibly even a stranger to your family now.

Afternoon All,

Happy Independence Day to everyone. We have already had a torrential downpour today for about 90 minutes. I spent another couple of hours doing prep work on the kit today. Tomorrow I'm driving up to see Jon and hopefully Phil.

For some reason today I was thinking of the tall ship parade in NY harbor during the bicentennial.

Garry- Always a favorite scene.

Toot- Nice 1:1 load.

Sherrel- Happy Birthday to your MIL. Making it to 95 is an accomplishment.

Chet- Your high today was our low today.o_O

I hope everyone has a good night

Willie - Thank you sir. It was a drag, but I have another satisfied customer that will be spreading my name around the neighborhood. We currently do not advertising of any kind and are booking appointments 3 weeks out. It's all word of mouth. We've gone from a handful of customers at the end of last year to somewhere around 90 now. I've had several tell me that they are willing to wait for us to get to them simply because of the reviews they have read on their neighborhood boards. I thought the track was a bargain. Especially with the cost of new switches. Not sure what kind, but they are better than the ones I currently own.

Sherrel - I've worked my share of all of those. My last government job, maintenance mechanic at a local county park, sent me to a well certification class over 2 hours away from home for a week. A week that my anniversary fell right in the middle of. My wife was not happy. I'm just glad that I only had one job to do today and it is now finished. Time to go home and BBQ!

Justin - I almost forgot about your YouTube comment. I am convinced that model railroad videos on YouTube are the visual equivalent of crack. One leads to another that leads to a dozen more. Then you realize you haven't slept in a week, you have accomplished nothing, and are possibly even a stranger to your family now.
Word of mouth is the best kind of advertising, the kind that money can't buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back