Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone...sunny and warmer in Wisconsin.

Working on the layout wiring the structure lighting to power terminals for the new buildings in Waupaca Industrial area. I run the voltage at 9-10 vots to prolong lamp life. Have two short leads that I have to lengthen to be able to reach the terminal. Exterior lighting sure adds to the realism of the layout.

Ken: Congratulations on your retirement. Take Beady's excellent advise.

I took a week's vacation at the cabin the day after I officially retired and during the week kept thinking that on Monday I needed to return to work.

Sherrel: Nice video at the diamond.

Wife is sending me to buy some outdoor plants.

Later....

Greg

Ahhhhhhh, retirement is great. Did the exit interview in just a few minutes. They took my equipment and I took my own stuff out to the bike and rode away. Had lunch with an old friend then went for a ride for a while. Not sure what time it is and I don't really care.

Don't it feel sweet.
big-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif
ENJOY

Anyone have experience with AMB structure kits?
Justin - I assume that you are referring to American Model Builders structure kits. If so, I have built about a dozen. I have mostly built their laser-cut wood kits, but I have built one of their plastic ones as well. I like them a lot. They are finely detailed. They do take a lot of patience to assemble and for your first few builds it would pay to follow the instructions very carefully. For example, their windows contain five components each. I just finished one recently that I pictured here in the Coffee Shop called "The Windsor Hotel", although I am not using as a hotel. I cannot remember when I posted the pictures, so here are a couple again.
04-10-18 006.JPG
04-10-18 007.JPG

04-10-18 008.JPG

Whoops! Looking at these pictures reminds me that I have to go back and fix that short piece of trim on the left!
Which kit were you contemplating? I may have built it and might have pictures.

Willie

Terry .... I'll try it myself .... Thanks.

Ken D&J ........ A big CONGRATULATIONS ! for your retirement. ..... Enjoy it !

Willie ... Your photos from San Antonio are very impressive...... I hope the critter does not come back to your place after you transport it.

Johnny ..... We're looking for war to the Branson train this weekend. .... Are you ready ?

Sherrel ... I'm glad you continue enjoying your trip. ..... Do the dogs like it as much as the humans do?

Justin .... Your weather sounds like ours. ... Hot and muggy.

Yep - looking forward to meeting you guys and the train ride with (hopefully) a nice dinner. Right now they're predicting a chance of rain that afternoon or evening, but not saying what percent. So we're hoping the rain holds off for the train ride! See you then.

Ahhhhhhh, retirement is great. Did the exit interview in just a few minutes. They took my equipment and I took my own stuff out to the bike and rode away. Had lunch with an old friend then went for a ride for a while. Not sure what time it is and I don't really care.
The best day is tomorrow when you wake up and realize that "I don't have to be anywhere anymore". Have a drink on me, but wait until you finish the bike ride.
Congratulations on your perseverance! I went 43 years before hanging it up for good. Never looked back.

Willie

Good Afternoon All,

Trying to thunderstorm outside now. Got a haircut and beard trim today. In the train room I painted both sides of the 5 end pieces (2 actual end pieces and 3 the same shape used as inside braces). I also painted the inside of the 2 long walls. I should paint the outside walls Thursday since the wife's medical procedure was cancelled and will be rescheduled. Tomorrow I have volunteered to volunteer at the schoolo_O.

Willie- It sounds like you're a busy boy! Great museum pics.

Justin- I have made several. They usually turn out well. One comment, they use very thin wall material (I believe 1/16th thickness) and don't brace their walls. I would recommend getting scale 8x8's and brace the inside of the walls before assembly and/or painting. You're flying friends can be painful-watch out.

VA Ken- Congrats on your retirement. I felt pretty strange for awhile after retirement with no job to go to. I hope you had a good ride.

Sherrel- Nice diamond and video.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Justin - I assume that you are referring to American Model Builders structure kits. If so, I have built about a dozen. I have mostly built their laser-cut wood kits, but I have built one of their plastic ones as well. I like them a lot. They are finely detailed. They do take a lot of patience to assemble and for your first few builds it would pay to follow the instructions very carefully. For example, their windows contain five components each. I just finished one recently that I pictured here in the Coffee Shop called "The Windsor Hotel", although I am not using as a hotel. I cannot remember when I posted the pictures, so here are a couple again.
View attachment 27816View attachment 27817
View attachment 27818
Whoops! Looking at these pictures reminds me that I have to go back and fix that short piece of trim on the left!
Which kit were you contemplating? I may have built it and might have pictures.

Willie

Willie it is an American model builders kit. It's their single stall engine house. I no longer have a use for my two stall as I cut down the size of my yard on this build. As per C&O ideals I need a wood engine house as the C&O used wooden structures on branch lines. It'll be the first wooden structure I'll build. Next will be my C&O depot.

Good Afternoon All,

Trying to thunderstorm outside now. Got a haircut and beard trim today. In the train room I painted both sides of the 5 end pieces (2 actual end pieces and 3 the same shape used as inside braces). I also painted the inside of the 2 long walls. I should paint the outside walls Thursday since the wife's medical procedure was cancelled and will be rescheduled. Tomorrow I have volunteered to volunteer at the schoolo_O.

Willie- It sounds like you're a busy boy! Great museum pics.

Justin- I have made several. They usually turn out well. One comment, they use very thin wall material (I believe 1/16th thickness) and don't brace their walls. I would recommend getting scale 8x8's and brace the inside of the walls before assembly and/or painting. You're flying friends can be painful-watch out.

VA Ken- Congrats on your retirement. I felt pretty strange for awhile after retirement with no job to go to. I hope you had a good ride.

Sherrel- Nice diamond and video.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Scale 8x8s you say? Micro mark special or is there another way?

Howdy .....

Johnny .... I just sent a PM message to you ...

Willie .... The hotel looks very good ....

Last edited:
Just checking in, all is well in dark and stormy south east Baltimore, With heavy rain falling, lightning flashing and thunder rumbling. It will pass shortly, they always do.

Help wanted: Baltimore City Police Commissioner. Candidates not facing federal charges to the front of the line.

I love Baltimore and I would never leave.

Long live the B&O. Even if it is only in my attic and thousands of other places model railroads exist.

Baltimore was a once great city. I hope it will be again.

Mayor Blake fixed the city finances, we have the highest bond rating ever. Then the riots got out of control. Forever more; Bodymore?

I still love Baltimore and I would never leave.

I hope everybody is well and good, God Bless Us Everyone!

Louis ... Good to see you..... All big cities such as Baltimore seem to have similar problems. Personally, I prefer living in a lightly populated location where there is hardly any tafffic congestion and where people are much more friendly. .... As for the B&O, I did get to ride on that railroad when I was young, and it was a good trip. B&O had the only dome cars in the East, and I rode on one of them. ..... Also, I like the B&O Museum.

Ahhhhhh Baltimore. I hear a lot about it. It's just up the road about 100 miles from me. I skirt around it when going to Timonium or points north in PA. I hear it's a nice place to be "from".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back