Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a shot of two other completed layouts that they had. I don't know what scale they actually are.
View attachment 27750

Those are "Gee" scale, as in "Gee, isn't that fun for kids!" Kind of cool they have those, as it gives the kids something to be hands on with, which is always a challenge at museum. Who knows how many kids will get a taste of model railroading by playing with a set like that and end up being interested in doing some more serious modeling. They have great play value, and kids and do more than just watch the trains going in circles.

Thanks for the welcome back and your concerns re my health. It's my outlook that is the problem,. Another family member is the cause and there isn't anything I can do about it except go along with MOH.

BOB- I have to get here by going on the previous link then connecting to here. Isn't there a more direct way ?

Back in 2005, visited the T&P RR and was on board the #400 Loco . WOW,heck of a big machine.
Glad those on road trips are safe.

Weather here has turned chilly-72* and raining. NASTY.
Prayers for all,
Phil

Oh, by the way, welcome to the new place Beady. I've been looking for you. Glad to know that you are still with us and brought back your salacious sense of humor.

Willie
Thanks. And thanks to whomever gave me all the awards with which I was greeted upon my return. I have no idea what they mean, but I'll take what I can get.

I stopped posting when it dawned on me that I had nothing pertinent to contribute. I still don't, but I'm close enough now that I feel I can come back. I'm still fighting with the basement, but now I'm winning: . You may recall that the basement flooding took the better part of a year to correct, and then I just couldn't seem to get to work straightening the place up so I could set up a layout. That's about the point I quit posting. *Then* we entered a year-long phase where our two mothers, both in their 90's, would alternate falling down, going into the hospital and then into rehab; as soon as one got home, the other would go in. The last half of March, the wife and I decided we'd had enough and took a cruise to Barbados and points in-between (travel tip: Stay the hell out of the jewelry stores in ports-of-call). We've been back about 6 weeks, now, and things are relatively quiet. Interestingly, and I have no idea why, my hands have (mostly) stopped trembling and I seem to have more energy. ISTR that previous vacations had seemingly "fixed" me when I was having other physical problems. Were planning a drive to Seattle (from Michigan) the last half of August, so we'll see what happens then.

In the meantime, I'll just leave this here (part of my Lego collection (except it's a knockoff - look close):

Hmm, there seems to be a trick to posting photos; make sure you're looking at the full image.
Brothel.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear from you again and for you giving a fairly detailed explanation of what was going on. It can be hard to deal with elderly parents. We did that years back and I know how difficult it can be.

Struggling with a flooding basement is no fun either. Thankfully I have never had that problem, but do know folks who have.

I am happy to hear that you medical problem seems to have improved and the cruise probably helped. A little bit of attitude adjustment never hurts.

If you are driving to Seattle, we are right along the way off of I-90. We are going to attend another bowling tournament in Reno sometime in August, but if we are home, we would be happy to meet you.

Don't worry about feeling that you can't contribute. I have felt that way a number of times when when I haven't had a chance to visit the train room for weeks. Those days may be coming for me soon. Everything is discussed in the coffee shop and why not put your two cents in. I do.

Happy to see you stopping by for a cup. Don't be a stranger.

You may have as many Legos as my grand kids. They have tons of them and we donated a tub full of Legos that my son had when he was growing up. Just happy that we're no longer stepping on them in bare feet.

Payback for my daughter.

Beady - Very glad to hear that your medical condition hs improved, I do recall you posting about it in the past. Here is a little Lego inspiration. I took these photos at the Mississippi Coast Model RR Museum in Gulfport MS a few years ago.
10-20-16 057.JPG

10-20-16 058.JPG

10-20-16 059.JPG

10-20-16 060.JPG

10-20-16 061.JPG

10-20-16 063.JPG

Have a great day and keep us up to date.

Willie

Afternoon All,

It's been raining off and on all day and supposed to be for a week. Weather guessers are predicting a sub-tropical storm or tropical storm formation (about 50%). Hurricane season starts in 2 weeks. But our area really needs the rain. Wednesday we will be volunteering again at the school and Thursday MOH has a routine procedure at the VA that I need to drive her home afterwards.

I cut and glued on the bracing for the walls today. I probably over did it but the walls are long and thin. My kids were never much interested in Legos but I think they were older before they really got popular.

Talking about the mouse reminds me that while stationed in HI a mouse got into MOH's car frame and died. I started calling the car the rat mobile and when the kids started calling it that the wife was not amused:mad:. Even after the smell went away whenever it rained for a very long time it came back.

Justin- Nice video. Interesting that the UP loco was in the consist.

Terry- Smart mouse.

Toot- Another interesting video.

Chet- Nice train shots.

Willie- Nice looking steamer. I'm glad you had a nice trip.

Sherrel- You know what they say about not being able to go back.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I was cleaning out a closet, and found a photo from my tourist railroad days. This is roughly 30 years ago, and I was riding the cushions, instead of being on the engine, for my stepson's birthday. The new scanner did a pretty good job with the photo, but as you can see, cropping isn't as straightforward as it should be. I'll be experimenting with settings...
img20180514_21171267.jpg

Willie, I've also got one of those StayFresh(?) doughboys, as well as a Lego alien abduction kit. My city's going to be under siege! It's OK, though, because I've got a Darth Vader minifig to command the SWAT force. Meanwhile, for the train layout, I'm planning an alien abduction tableau there, as well: I found an N-scale UFO that someone made on a 3D printer, and there are plenty of scale cows on the market. The problem will be to depict the saucer hovering, while the cow is being lifted into the air. I don't want to use wire or string; I'm thinking about doing some surgery on a clear plastic pilsner glass. The UFO will sit on top of the narrow end of the glass, which will represent the tractor beam, and the cow will be suspended inside the glass. Alternatively, I could have the UFO attacking Thomas the Tank Engine.

Well, my back is killing me. Think I'll hit the Gabapentin and Tramadol and take a couple of days off in a buzz.

(There's no multi-quote with this engine, is there?)

Howdy. ... I’m still busy with other stuff . Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

I did have time to work on the Santa Fe Erie Builts. Now, all contacts are soldered instead of having the wires held in place with the little plastic clips. I tested the ABA set making a complete round trip on my layout . That is a total of 260’. No problems.

Now I am thinking of finally unboxing my Santa Fe Super Chief.

I’ll catch up with you guys later. ... Cheers.

Oops! I almost forgot:

View attachment 27800
Willie, I've also got one of those StayFresh(?) doughboys, as well as a Lego alien abduction kit. My city's going to be under siege! It's OK, though, because I've got a Darth Vader minifig to command the SWAT force. Meanwhile, for the train layout, I'm planning an alien abduction tableau there, as well: I found an N-scale UFO that someone made on a 3D printer, and there are plenty of scale cows on the market. The problem will be to depict the saucer hovering, while the cow is being lifted into the air. I don't want to use wire or string; I'm thinking about doing some surgery on a clear plastic pilsner glass. The UFO will sit on top of the narrow end of the glass, which will represent the tractor beam, and the cow will be suspended inside the glass. Alternatively, I could have the UFO attacking Thomas the Tank Engine.

Well, my back is killing me. Think I'll hit the Gabapentin and Tramadol and take a couple of days off in a buzz.

(There's no multi-quote with this engine, is there?)
There seems to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back