Help Identifying HO scale engine

_wyattt

Need help identifying this HO scale engine. Number on the side is 4301. Anyone have any idea what the approximate year of manufacture, model and brand? Any help is greatly appreciated.
4301 BN.jpg
I don't have the engine, only trying to identify from the photo.

Thanks

Going by the front of the cab styling and the trucks, I would say an Alco. Don't know which model though.

I did some research a while back and guessed it to be an Alco 425. It is a Tyco. For whatever reason, most of Tycos 425s were numbered 4301. My first locomotive was the Silver Streak version.

I did some research a while back and guessed it to be an Alco 425. It is a Tyco. For whatever reason, most of Tycos 425s were numbered 4301. My first locomotive was the Silver Streak version.
Any idea what years these were manufactured? Were they made in the late '70s

According to a post I found on Google, yes in the 70's, but doesn't mention a specific year. Clicking on the reference, took me to an ebay.com.au (Australian) site. He had two for sale, another Alco similar to that one and what looked like an RSD-15. AU$40 for the pair. Shipping no doubt would be horrendous.

According to a post I found on Google, yes in the 70's, but doesn't mention a specific year. Clicking on the reference, took me to an ebay.com.au (Australian) site. He had two for sale, another Alco similar to that one and what looked like an RSD-15. AU$40 for the pair. Shipping no doubt would be horrendous.

I don't know that you could find the year, they made these for a long time. $20 each is about right I suppose, as you can see in the photo, they've got some decent detail, but there also fairly crude in a lot of areas. Great for kids or somebody trying to get started on a budget. The shipping would probably be a deal breaker as you suggest.

#4301 must have been the stock road number for that model, whatever RRd it was. I see this one in the auction has a red&silver scheme, with a UP shield on the nose and Silver Streak on the side ??? Multi tasker perhaps.

Only an hour a 45 mins to go.

Interesting shells for kitbashing. Some my MLW C-630's used the body's of the Alco 630's and the Cabs of the 430's and some were stretched 430's. I'm thinking of taking it all to train shows and selling it off as I doubt I'll ever build another layout, maybe a diorama or two though may be possible.
Willis

#4301 must have been the stock road number for that model, whatever RRd it was. I see this one in the auction has a red&silver scheme, with a UP shield on the nose and Silver Streak on the side ??? Multi tasker perhaps.

That was a fantasy road name (obviously) and a bit of an odd duck. Not sure why they produced, or how popular it was.

It even came with "Tru-Steel Track" Now your layout rails can rust just like the real thing! Good luck getting electrical contact!

You can find out a bit more here:

http://ho-scaletrains.com/tyco-silverstreak-set/

Very interesting article that was, Bob, someone with the "Nous" might have got themselves just what they needed to complete a set.

Back