Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning and after lunch I made a cardboard mock up of the freight house. I'm really glad I did because I decided to make the width 1 inch less. It just looked to close to the box cars to my eye. Also I want to show off the deck also. Hopefully I'll make it to the LHS Friday or Saturday for more 2x8's. I may be helping SIL this week with a flooring job he has.

OK I'm confused. Our page number is now 60 instead of around 120? Are we going to stay in this thread from now on or are we going to change to LXXIV at some point?

Ken- Nice looking box cars. How about Iron Man Ken?

Joe- Nice looking hoppers.

Chet- You've posted a bunch of great photos lately, also great looking pooches.

Sherrel- Nice avatar.

VA Ken- Very impressive modular layout.

I hope everyone has a good night.

OK I'm confused. Our page number is now 60 instead of around 120? Are we going to stay in this thread from now on or are we going to change to LXXIV at some point?

Curt: I suspect we might be changing at 100, when we get there. Across the street @ MR, they change month to month. OTOH, with the new software, is there really a need to change? Don't know, just thinking out loud. BTW, thanks for the kind words on the hoppers. I'm planning on using them to serve a power plant.

Letter carrier delivered my auto parts cars today.
PRR 58993 04-16-2018.jpg

This car will go into captive service between the Ford Plant, and the Seat Spring Factory.
PRR 48634 04-16-2018.jpg

This car is stenciled return to Midvale, PA, the Budd Stamping Plant in Philadelphia.

These cars are ready to go. They just need a little weathering to enhance appearance.

Good evening. It's cloudy and 51.

I think we're going to start having monthly coffee shops, if only because letting them go on forever would become too unwieldy to navigate through.

Finally getting around to working out my state income tax return. I always get stumped when doing this Virginia return. It wants calculations based on a "Fixed Date Conformity". Do ya think they provide an example of what a Fixed Date Conformity is, NO! Each year I work through this and still I can't find what the heck that is. I've always just put 0 where ever it asks for it. Now, I'm inclined to think it would be to my advantage to know what it is because they have never sighted it in past returns. The only changes to my returns in the past have been if I miscalculated and owe them more money. Just like when I didn't do the Social Security work sheet which actually lowered my tax liability. They never notified that I miss figured that one. Bunch of thieves.

Finally getting around to working out my state income tax return. I always get stumped when doing this Virginia return. It wants calculations based on a "Fixed Date Conformity". Do ya think they provide an example of what a Fixed Date Conformity is, NO! Each year I work through this and still I can't find what the heck that is. I've always just put 0 where ever it asks for it. Now, I'm inclined to think it would be to my advantage to know what it is because they have never sighted it in past returns. The only changes to my returns in the past have been if I miscalculated and owe them more money. Just like when I didn't do the Social Security work sheet which actually lowered my tax liability. They never notified that I miss figured that one. Bunch of thieves.

Ken I Think it has to do with the Commonwealth's agreeing to conform to the Federal Tax Code, unlike Jersey which goes their own way on certain provisions. They want you to use the same calculations that you used on your Federal return. but get cute with the explanation, so they can pretend they know more than you do.

Finally getting around to working out my state income tax return. I always get stumped when doing this Virginia return. It wants calculations based on a "Fixed Date Conformity". Do ya think they provide an example of what a Fixed Date Conformity is, NO!

Sure, they have one right here on their website:

Fixed Date Conformity Additions
  • Bonus Depreciation: If you claimed a federal depreciation deduction and one or more of the depreciable assets received the special 30% or 50% bonus depreciation deduction under IRC § 168(k) in any taxable year from 2001 through 2017, or the bonus depreciation under IRC §§ 168(l), 168(m), 1400L, or 1400N, then depreciation must be recomputed for Virginia purposes as if such assets did not receive such bonus depreciation. If your total 2017 Virginia depreciation calculation is less than your 2017 federal depreciation calculation, then the difference must be recognized as an addition

Now, all you need is two attorneys and an accountant to tell you what in the hell that means in English.

It has to do with how many posts are on each page. They're all here, but apparently Xenforo shows more per page, which in Xenforo is 20. I'm not sure, but guessing VB had it at 10, based on the double page numbers.

Good evening. Cold & windy in my central MD neighborhood.

Karl & Boris - thanks for the recommendation on submitting an article to RMC, but I'm not sure I'm ready to jump back into the world of 'paid' publishing. One of the things I like about simply posting on the forum is that I don't have to submit a bunch of bracketed, high-quality photos; just whip out the ol' cell phone camera and point and shoot. No fear of rejection, no stress.

Curt - thanks for the kind words on the boxcars. As for the 'Iron Man' moniker, somebody in the Steel Modelers SIG is already using it.

I'm going nuts trying to find a simple flashing unit that I can connect to my NJ International crossing flashers, actually started a separate thread on it. All I'm finding is links to schematic diagrams, or $150 integrated systems.

Hope I didn't miss anybody, but I must to get to bed. I've been frequently nodding-out when I'm sitting at my desk at work, just seem to be chronically sleep-deprived. Goodnight!

Good evening. It's cloudy and 51.

I think we're going to start having monthly coffee shops, if only because letting them go on forever would become too unwieldy to navigate through.

Sounds like a good concept, let's see how that works. It just keeps getting busier, which is a good thing.

State tax term. That one example refers to a depreciation issue. The term "Fixed Date Conformity" also refers to age deduction but it has two categories: an addition and a subtraction. There are a few other places it needs FDC input.
Last year, I sent a note with my return noting the FDC and how it didn't apply to me due to the reciprocal terminology for undistracted returns of non-invested funds. Actually I only made that up about and I didn't get any note back from them. The objective was to bamboozle them with non-sense terminology.

Good evening. Cold & windy in my central MD neighborhood.

I'm going nuts trying to find a simple flashing unit that I can connect to my NJ International crossing flashers, actually started a separate thread on it. All I'm finding is links to schematic diagrams, or $150 integrated systems.
I use the Walthers crossing flasher controller. It works great, and should work with your crossing flashers.

Good morning everyone. 43 and sunny here in SW MO, heading for 73 today!!! "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood . . ."

Not much to report from the train room - just keep pluggin' away on my kit builds and striping roads to put down. Trying to catch up on some scenery placement now.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 60° and clear with light winds (12 mph). Only made 80° yesterday, expecting 87° later today. Average high for this time of year is 75°, so we're well above that. The next ten days are forecast to be closer to or below average, phew! I'm tired of bringing in firewood; that chore should have ended three weeks ago. I was able to plant some of the tomato plants in the garden yesterday, more today along with some pepper plants.
Out in the train shed, I continued the cleaning ritual. No additional stray parts, but I did loosen a window shutter on a house that I was cleaning. After repairing that, my workbench was perfectly clean for a change, so I cluttered it up with another City Classics structure kit from the stockpile shelf. This one is the "Main Street Cafe". All parts are painted and ready for assembly today.

Johnny - Family matters do take away from time in the train room, but it is time well spent.
Bruce - Looking forward to the latest, with scenery no less.
Garry - Even Pella glass doors, which are a topnotch brand, are not impervious to flooding conditions unfortunately. Heavy rain yes, flooding no. I did spend 43 years in the window and sliding door business and their products are better than the ones that we made. Good luck with the cleanup.
Joe - I haven't actually had a failure problem with Accumate couplers. I sometimes have to re-work them, and they don't work well with scale couplers though.
Chet - Speaking of Bristol, I have been to many races there, both the old and new configuration. That's a fun place to go. A lot of "paint-swapping" along with a lot of "bump and run". I saw Dale Jarrett race his final "hometown" race there in 2008 when they held some special ceremonies for him.
Louis - Glad that you could find us.

Everyone have a great day. Last day for my wife to work this tax season. No more "home alone" for me for a while.

Willie

Good morning. My rock is white AGAIN. This is really getting old. Started off at 32 degrees this morning. At noon yesterday it was 62 degrees and this is what I saw at 6:30 last night.

20180416_174437.jpg

Nothing stuck to the roads, but we did have out one day of spring last Saturday.

Louis - Great to see you in here again. I was wondering how you were doing, but between remodeling projects and work, I am sure you don't have much spare time. How is the house coming along?

Joe
- Like the auto parts car. The graphics are so crisp and clear.

Ken D&J
- You are quite the procrastinator. Today is tax day. Good luck with your calculations. I wonder who wrote those laws. Must have been smoking something. We got ours done in February and got out "crumbs" back in a couple of weeks.

Terry - I have been tossing around crossing flashers for over 10 years. Really would like to have them, but don't have them and probably never will. Have enough to day with the LED lights. Already too may projects on my plate (and on the work bench) that are sitting in limbo.

Willie - I can remember attending a race in Bristol years ago when it probably sat around 30,000 people. It is usually survival of the fittest more than a winner.

Garry -
Hope you are able to get the water damage taken care of. It's a pain when it happens in a room that is not normally used, It can go unnoticed for a long time.

Greg - Are you snowbound? haven't heard anything from you.

Here's a rail photo for today.

2ccf87a6e3115fdadd3283465799292c.jpg

Later
Grin.gif

Joe - I haven't actually had a failure problem with Accumate couplers. I sometimes have to re-work them, and they don't work well with scale couplers thoug

Willie:
If the fleet was 100% Accumate couplers, there would never be an operational problem with them. However, while they function with Kadees, they are a PIA especially with scale couplers. I automatically replace the OEM couplers in Accurail kits with Kadees, but Atlas cars are mostly RTR and come with sealed coupler pockets making the changeover a chore rather than a simple change out.

Joe - Like the auto parts car. The graphics are so crisp and clear.

Thank you, Chet. Basic Bowser, but I did not need to use a magnifier to read the data. Todays "rail" photo reminds me of morning after runs on the C&A branches. Great photo! Any snow that melts on contact with the road is OK by me. But really, its April 16th! Enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back