Need a structure that can function as a small printing business

Raincoat2

All - I need a structure (kit) that can be a small printing business on my HO layout. Walthers (and maybe other brands) have printing business structures but they are way too big, especially too tall. I need a smaller footprint, and this would be for a small printing business, not a huge newspaper printing place. It can be long but not too deep, and just 1 or 2 stories tall. Any ideas? I'm not looking to scratch-build, although that's a possibility - would prefer a kit that could work. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

DPM has a number of structures that should work for you.

Chet - I checked them out on the MBKlein website - wow, there are several that would work. I haven't had a DPM kit before. Their prices are really reasonable. Would you say they're good kits overall? What kind of quality?

Anything from Atlas's online store that can be kit bashed? Bar Mills or Blair Line.

Greg

Greg - I checked Bar Mills and Blair Line on the MBKlein website - there's some possibilities, more with Blair than Bar Mills. I'll think about it some more. Thanks for the tips.

Johnny: Go directly to the Bar Mills and Blair website for perhaps a better selection of signs. I just purchased from Blair Line their Sam's Roadhouse which will become a small, run down industrial building by leaving off the tavern related signs and adding my own. The front steps and decking could be the printing company's loading dock.

This kit might work for you with it's small foot print of 2.80 x 4.50 inches. Plus, an old house is included!!!

Greg

I have a number of them in the last town I built. Assembly is not hard at all. The only gripe I had with them was that I had so many of them that painting all of the windows and trim about blinded me. I may have been cross eyed for a week.

Logan_060.jpgthe two on the left are DPM.

I think I have a total of six of them on the main street.

There is quite a variety to choose from.

Johnny: Go directly to the Bar Mills and Blair website for perhaps a better selection of signs. I just purchased from Blair Line their Sam's Roadhouse which will become a small, run down industrial building by leaving off the tavern related signs and adding my own. The front steps and decking could be the printing company's loading dock.

This kit might work for you with it's small foot print of 2.80 x 4.50 inches. Plus, an old house is included!!!

Greg

Greg - Yeah, the Blair Line website had some real possibilities for the printing business building. I also like their Hudson Oil gas station kit. Plus I didn't know they had so many signs available. Thanks for the info. still have to visit the Bar Mills website.

I have a number of them in the last town I built. Assembly is not hard at all. The only gripe I had with them was that I had so many of them that painting all of the windows and trim about blinded me. I may have been cross eyed for a week.

View attachment 65637the two on the left are DPM.

I think I have a total of six of them on the main street.

There is quite a variety to choose from.

Chet - Great. Thanks for the photo. There are some real possibilities there.

Johnny - Here's a structure from DPM that I have that I am going to use as a small printing company. Note that decals do not come with it so it can be used as anything you want. Oh, DPM is now owned by Woodland Scenics.
https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/11200/page/1
You asked about the quality...I like the kits, I have over thirty of them, plus quite a few scratchbuilt structures made from their modular walls. Quality is good. All of the walls are a lot thicker than Walther's so there is no warpage or bowing. The kits are all unique as well. Some of the larger "Gold Kits" like Whitewater Brewing or Drywell Inks can be made larger with the addition of some of their modular walls. I have duplicates (intentional) of several as I have different paint schemes and views on different areas of the layout and most people cannot tell that they are the same structure. All are reasonably priced in my opinion. By the way, many of the "Gold Kits" have droves of white metal casting detail parts, that can be used elsewhere if you want.
Regarding the Blair Line signs. Yes lots of them and they are also good quality. They are printed on styrene instead of paper. The only problem, if you consider it a problem, is that there are 25+ signs in each pack and you may not need so many. I also have many of their structures that I like very much.
Bar Mills is another fine manufacturer of HO products. Most all of their kits are what I would refer to as "niche" kits. I use many of them in the more rural parts of my layout. My most recent build of one of their kits was "Jack's Back Yard", which I posted pictures of over in the Coffee Shop last month or so.
Many of the Blair Line and Bar Mills kits take some patience but turn out very nicely.

Check out all of their websites and then check your LHS or MB Klein to see if you can score a discount.

Willie

Johnny - Here's a structure from DPM that I have that I am going to use as a small printing company. Note that decals do not come with it so it can be used as anything you want. Oh, DPM is now owned by Woodland Scenics.
https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/11200/page/1
You asked about the quality...I like the kits, I have over thirty of them, plus quite a few scratchbuilt structures made from their modular walls. Quality is good. All of the walls are a lot thicker than Walther's so there is no warpage or bowing. The kits are all unique as well. Some of the larger "Gold Kits" like Whitewater Brewing or Drywell Inks can be made larger with the addition of some of their modular walls. I have duplicates (intentional) of several as I have different paint schemes and views on different areas of the layout and most people cannot tell that they are the same structure. All are reasonably priced in my opinion. By the way, many of the "Gold Kits" have droves of white metal casting detail parts, that can be used elsewhere if you want.
Regarding the Blair Line signs. Yes lots of them and they are also good quality. They are printed on styrene instead of paper. The only problem, if you consider it a problem, is that there are 25+ signs in each pack and you may not need so many. I also have many of their structures that I like very much.
Bar Mills is another fine manufacturer of HO products. Most all of their kits are what I would refer to as "niche" kits. I use many of them in the more rural parts of my layout. My most recent build of one of their kits was "Jack's Back Yard", which I posted pictures of over in the Coffee Shop last month or so.
Many of the Blair Line and Bar Mills kits take some patience but turn out very nicely.

Check out all of their websites and then check your LHS or MB Klein to see if you can score a discount.

Willie

Willie - Thanks for that detailed note. The City Cab building has possibilities. In addition, I've already found about four other DPM structures that would work well, too. All this info is really helpful to this relative newby. I'm rearranging some of the existing industries and shops on the layout, giving me room for more structures. The local MRR club is hosting its 40th annual train show in two weeks, and I'm hoping to find some structures on the cheap. Need some more freight cars, too. What I don't find at the train show I'll be ordering from the online stores (or buying at the LHS if they are halfway reasonably-priced). Thanks again.

I'll second Willie's comments on DPM kits. There overall quality is good, with the Gold Line kits being very good. The reason I say this is because the basic kits are just that - basic (4 walls, a roof, and maybe a chimney). But that, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. They make nice buildings on their own and a great platform for detailing.

Back