Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
GARRY:
Our flight from Phoenix to Nashville last night was with a very strong tail wind. ... Upon arrival, the pilot said this the flight was the fastest he had flown in his 22 years with Southwest Airlines. It was over 700 mph. We arrived 40 minutes early even though there was a delay departing from Phoenix.

GARRY -The highest windspeed that I witnessed was 238 knots at 29,000' enroute from JFK - St. John's, Newfoundland. Our groundspeed was pert ner 850mph. Almost so fast that we had to work fast to get all the coordinates programed into the INS for the crossing.

SAM:
Garry: Think of the poor souls that were going west, they are probably still in the air.

SAM Been there too! Good for the paycheck, but cuts into the Happy Hour! How do you say-"Boring"?
BTW - Nice Loco - ONE section track = My kinda Layout!

Sherrel: Flying home from Scotland one year it seemed that the plane was going backwards! I went to sleep for a couple of hours and that little plane symbol they show on the TV was in the same place.

I once had a flight from Montreal to London-Heathrow that only took 4:35 hours...it was normally a 6-6:30 hour flight. Tailwinds...

Sherrel ... 850 mph ! ... and the wings stayed on ? ? ?

I think he was saying that was the ground speed. His air speed was still about 500mph, but the air was moving some 200mph as well. Sorta like your running speed is 5 mph but if you ran from the back of a passenger car toward the front while the train was moving at 50 mph, your ground speed would be 55 mph.

It's morning and there is weather. It is nicer today than it could have been. Flo, coffee black, thanks!

Good morning everyone. I'll have some coffee, too, Flo, and a bearclaw - make that TWO bearclaws!!

48 and partly cloudy here in SW MO, hitting mid-50's this afternoon. The SUN will appear today and for the next three days. Ah, sweet signs of spring!!

Not much to report from the trainroom - continued running power to rails and connecting turnouts. I will say this: I notice when I'm on the floor under the benchwork I make some real "old man noises," and I don't mean farts - I mean ows and ughs and "oh mes" :D I also notice I need to program some time for getting up from the floor and straightening out after I've been under there for a half hour or so. I realize I'm probably the only one this happens to, but thought I'd mention it in case any of you ever run into it, too. :rolleyes:

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 49° and cloudy. No rain in the forecast, after about .75" fell yesterday mostly before dawn and after sunset. It's nice to look out the back window without seeing water dripping off the roof. The weekly trek for groceries and beer is today as usual. Many stops will be made, Vitamin Shop, Home Depot and Dollar General in addition to Kroger. Wife who is off work today has already said that she's not going so I'll be able to make the trip shorter.
Nothing major to really report from the train shed. Did most of the assembly of the Overhead Crane kit and I am now ready to add it to the loading/unloading canopy. Got the decals applied to Vulcan Manufacturing and the mortar work got tidied up, so I can apply the dull coat today. Won't really get a lot of time today since the morning and part of the afternoon will be taken up with the voyage.

Chet - The neighbors mock me for grilling when there is snow or ice on the ground! Other than heavy rain or extreme winds, there's nothing really to stop me, I grill 3-4 nights a week. I am strictly a charcoal guy.
Sam - Locomotive buying is an addiction, not a disease. Join the group!:rolleyes:
Greg (WI) - Best wishes on the surgery recovery.
Garry - Glad that you are safely home.
Justin -
Anyone ever have that moment when you just feel like a total idiot? Yeah I had that moment tonight.
Anything to do with the Snap Switches? Might save me time on the other thread. And if it is any comfort regarding the idiocy, I've been there and done that and have a few trophy's to commemorate!;)
Sherrel -
Been there too! Good for the paycheck, but cuts into the Happy Hour! How do you say-"Boring"?
Maybe you should have turned the plane around and put the engines in reverse!
Johnny - Despite walking 1.5 miles a day, my joints and muscles required for extracting myself out from under the layout or kitchen sink, just aren't as loose as they once were. At least I don't make noises...maybe I should wear my hearing aids when I'm under there!!!:eek:

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. 18 degrees to start the day off and we are supposed to get above the freezing point.

Justin -
Got this in the mail yesterday and you were the first person to come to mind. Hope you can find out what is causing the dead spot. Make sure that the points are making contact with the stock rail.

20180228_170108.jpg

Sherrel - I know exactly what you are talking about. I just fly small aircraft and the winds can really make a difference. I've had to actually stop and refuel on a trip where I should have made it with plenty of fuel left due to headwinds.

Ken D&J - Great explanation of the winds.

Willie - We also grill quite a lot, also 3 to 4 days a week and it really takes some extreme circumstances to keep us from grilling.

Here's a rail photo for today.

51204900.jpg

Later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. Where is everyone? 45° and cloudy, with a "Noreaster" expected tonight.

Justin: I frequently feel like an idiot, sometimes for good reason! :rolleyes:

Johnny: Maybe, it's the bearclaws? :rolleyes: What you are experiencing is the reason I have not as yet run my buss, and am relying on the track to carry my current across the layout...I just don't want to crawl under the layout, then have to straighten out each time I need something...

Ok I'm going to come out with it. It hit me late last night that none of my switches have the ground throws installed. No brainer that maybe my issues come from not having anything to hold my points against the rail. Obviously it'll cause a short. Soooooo.....down to the layout I went. Installed throws on my problem switches. Sure enough the dead spots went away...... humbling experience. One I should have thought of once my mainline trackage was laid.

Justin

Good morning. 18 degrees to start the day off and we are supposed to get above the freezing point.

Justin -
Got this in the mail yesterday and you were the first person to come to mind. Hope you can find out what is causing the dead spot. Make sure that the points are making contact with the stock rail.

View attachment 65500

Sherrel - I know exactly what you are talking about. I just fly small aircraft and the winds can really make a difference. I've had to actually stop and refuel on a trip where I should have made it with plenty of fuel left due to headwinds.

Ken D&J - Great explanation of the winds.

Willie - We also grill quite a lot, also 3 to 4 days a week and it really takes some extreme circumstances to keep us from grilling.

Here's a rail photo for today.

View attachment 65501

Later.
I like the walthers locomotives. They are out of my price range though.....as most new to the market locomotives are. I know they have alot of details and upgraded mechanisms that makes them worth the price. I'm willing to bet they don't hum like my Athearns do.

Justin

Justin - I think all locomotives are overpriced when I think of how much I was able to pay for my fleet of Atlas Alco RS units, and other locomotives that were purchased decades ago. I think the sale price on this one was $179. I have a couple of older Walthers locomotives and they were a bit lacking in details, but I did add them myself. They also need a little bit of tweaking to make them excellent running locomotives. Today, their locomotive are better running and have better details. Competition makes a difference I guess.

The one you just posted could coat a bit more than $179. Cool.

Starting this beautiful day at 35 degrees - the expected high is 62. Bright blue sky with calm winds!

SAM/GENE/B] - Had several of those days - in both directions! On That flight that I referrenced, I missed setting a new TWA speed record JFK - LHR by three minutes. If I had known beforehand, I would have shoved the throttles up a little over normal cruise of .855 mach - with that ground speed we had fuel to spare!

CHET - In my "yute" ferry pilot days in a J-3 Cub ... not too far from you between the border and Edmonton, the wind was so strong that I had to find a place to get on the ground. When I finally landed - the plane landed like a STOL - only rolled about 50 feet. I was afraid that it was going to blow-over when I tried to make a turn.

Good morning, everybody ..... Coffee and a donut, please.

While we were gone, there was a lot of rain here at home. The lake level is much high now than when we left a week ago.

I think he was saying that was the ground speed. His air speed was still about 500mph, but the air was moving some 200mph as well. Sorta like your running speed is 5 mph but if you ran from the back of a passenger car toward the front while the train was moving at 50 mph, your ground speed would be 55 mph.

Ken .... The was my attempt at making a joke ... I guess it went over like a stone duck. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back