Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out taking MOH to her VA appointment for her steroid injection in her hand. After getting home and lunch I put in the windows into the build. In hindsight I would put the lower windows in before gluing the walls together (glued to the backside of the walls) but I assumed they would go in like my last build. The other thing I did different was attach the frames (sticky back) to the thick acrylic upper windows before gluing the acrylic windows on the inside of the upper walls. Tomorrow is roofing and ordering the interior detail parts.

Karl- Thank you. Bad Pun.

Willie- Thank you on both counts. Nice looking locos.

Joe- Thank you. I did not realize you worked for the Pennsy, I did know about PC.

Mark- Nice work on the steamer.

Johnny- That will be a nice addition when complete.

Louis- Happy Birthday to your wife.

Chet- Nice layout pictures.

20180131_141550.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Ken in MD, Karl, and others I think I mentioned this before - maybe worth saying again.
Anxious to try out my new big air compressor tomorrow. I will gladly, happily de-paint via sand, or glass beads any locomotive shell with a 24 hour turnaround time. My expensive fee is a return prepaid shipping label.

Much easier than what you are showing, but I might add, nice work!

Joe - That's a bummer about the RDC. I also know what you mean about ebay. It is what I usually refer to as the place of last resort if I am totally out of places to look, but I did end up getting what I needed to build my North Coast Limited locomotives plus got the F-7 A and B units in the Lowey paint scheme for just a low ball opening bid. The RDC I have I believe is a Proto 1000 whch is probably the same one Walthers is offering. It is a smooth running car but just a bit noisy. Can't complain.

Having finished my work for the week and the only important thing I have left to do is to hold the chair on the floor. I was watching a number of YouTube videos on the RDC's and they had some nice video of the B&O RDC in one offering. In another video they did show a 3 car RDC stopping and cutting one unit loose to head to another destination. They are excellent looking cars.

Chet: I have four P-1-K RDCs. The two CNJ RDC1s have silent decoders installed, while the B&O RDC2/RDC1 train is standard DC. The Walthers RDC I spoke of, is a Rapido DC /DCC ready, the same number as offered by the other dealer. I never, ever thought, I would find Walthers beating the price of an Internet discounter. When Lifelike did the first issue RDC2, the paint jobs were atrocious. So the B&O units may eventually be repainted, and Lettered for my C&DR.

Enjoy watching the videos. I'm going to try and learn how to trade Options...This should be interesting...:confused:

Curt: Looks nice. Can't wait until it's done, complete with interior.

Yes, I'm a PRR guy, got in a year and a day before it ended. Tomorrow, February 1, is the 50th Anniversary of the establishment of the Penn Central. Some say, it was a day that will live in Infamy. Incidentally, a group of NYC fans living along the River Division in Bergen Co, NJ are holding a vigil, to toast the 50th anniversary of the last day of the NYC. Hope these guys can hold it and don't toast too much :rolleyes:

Good evening all,

A quick question: Are the Walthers Bi-level, and Tri-level auto racks the same height? Cant find much info on it.

Thank,

Mike

Willie, Chet Garry and Curt, thank you for thinking of my wife on her birthday :)

Willie, tolerant does not say enough, she should be canonized for putting up with me.

Good evening all,

A quick question: Are the Walthers Bi-level, and Tri-level auto racks the same height? Cant find much info on it.

Thank,

Mike

Mike... they should have the same height because the prototypes were the same height (assuming these are enclose auto rack cars. )

Evening gents! Cloudy and mid-30's here in central MD.

Justin - I had 2 Proto2000 SD7's that kept derailing on curves. After I did the fix that Garry described, they worked as well as any of my 4-axle units.

Sherrell - I just might take you up on your sandblasting offer, I have two shells that need stripped. I'll probably wait until after my planned op session before sending them out though...

I've been doing rehearsal runs of the trains I want to have in my op session, especially those with what I consider "high risk" cars: auto racks and 86ft hi-cube boxcars. The roster includes some upgraded Athearn Blue Box models that I modified to endure being pushed thru 'S' curves without derailing. The good news is that, so far, I have not seen any derailments; the bad news is that they disconnect over spots wherever the track has even the slightest dip or bulge. When I assembled them, I had depleted my supply of Kadee #118 "shelf" couplers, so I just installed standard #148 ones and hoped for the best. But all the hope in the world can't keep Murphy from exploiting a vulnerability.

Now my op session rehearsals have been temporarily halted until I receive my order of a dozen pair of #118's from MBKlein. I placed the order Tuesday night, I was hoping they would be shipped by this afternoon so I could get them by Saturday. But as of this moment MBK hasn't emailed me a shipment confirmation. At least I have another 3-4 weeks before everything has to be ready.

Good Morning all, minus 8 with windchill makes it feel like -22. Mostly sunny, possibility of snow, so what's new, it's Winter. Flo, bring me something warm!

keN - You could try glueing the couplers together in a pinch. It would be a unit train but heck, at least it all stays together.

Good Morning Guys. 47° and slightly cloudy skies right now. According to the Weather Underground, the wind is 0 mph out of the NW, now how do they know it's NW when it's 0 mph? It's Thursday and time for the weekly trek to the big city for groceries/beer. A side trip to Wally World and the local plant nursery is also on the agenda. Oh! let me add cat food at the Dollar General before I forget. Well that's 3-4 hours out of my day!:(
Out in the train shed, I played with my new diesels quite a bit. Test runs/breaking them in were the priorities. They all ran well alone and in various consists with each other. Hauled a few trains from one end of the layout to the other on both levels. I guess that for the heck of it, I will see how many cars a single engine can pull. Oddly enough, I hadn't ever done that in over 35 years of model railroading until Bruce made a post here about a year ago! Other than that, I dull-coated a half dozen recent freight cars builds, for protection of the new dry transfer numbers on them. Anyone else still do dry transfers?
Thanks for the comments on the SD40-2's and the PEN, Chet, Garry, Mark, Joe, Curt, and anyone else that I may have missed.

Mark - I haven't tested that ink pen yet, I hope that it works!:cool:
Garry - I like SD40-2' as well, I now have 15. The large back porch really gives them character.
Joe - These engines are their "Rivet Counters" line. I would have been happy with the "Operator" level and added additional details myself, but ATSF was not offered in that line. Other than their couplers/coupler boxes, these ScaleTrains folks really seem to have their act together. I just wish that they were around ten years ago when I went on my pre-retirement buying spree for supplies and equipment. I couldn't pass on these though!
Phil - Sorry to say, but they are out of my era, plus they won't fit!
Curt - Your structure continues to come along nicely.
Johnny - I haven't forgotten you. Here's a comparison of two different builds of Vic's Barber Shop, the one on the left was done by me and represents a barber shop. The one on the right I purchased off the consignment table at my LHS a few years ago. I am using it as a clock shop in a different town. Looks like we both retained the original Walther's brick color although I added mortar and weathering to mine.
01-30-15 005.JPG01-30-15 004.JPG
Sorry but it's not my best picture taking attempt.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good Morning, 32° and cloudy. As mentioned before, today is Penn Central Day, 50 years later. Moving on, what will Wilber the Woodchuck say tomorrow? Stay tuned.

Ken-MD: At least you know which ones will cause you fits. I had to put #118s on RDCs to keep them together.

Joe - These engines are their "Rivet Counters" line. I would have been happy with the "Operator" level and added additional details myself, but ATSF was not offered in that line. Other than their couplers/coupler boxes, these ScaleTrains folks really seem to have their act together. I just wish that they were around ten years ago when I went on my pre-retirement buying spree for supplies and equipment. I couldn't pass on these though! P

Willie:
They are outstanding models. For what ever reason, the paint schemes I'm interested in almost always come only in Rivet Counter. Many of my modern cars, date from when I was working on a specific line, for instance Tank Cars when I worked the GATX Terminals job, and Cabot Carbon Black cars for the Ink Factory, and Airslides for Sunshine and Continental Baking, and Plastic cars for a multitude of customers out of Amboy.

Today, is pay day, and I have lots of bills to pay. SWMBO wants to go shopping....:rolleyes:

Louis: Tell your wife Happy Birthday, a day late...Karl, sorry I missed yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone. 39 degrees, warming up to 40 later, then down to 10 tonight. The winter weather roller coaster continues!

Willie - Was that ink pen HO scale?
Mark in MN - Brrrrr - hope all the SuperBowl hoopla warms all of Minnesota, even up where you are. My word, you're not far from the Canadian border, are you?
Willie (again) - thanks for posting the photos of the two Vic's Barber Shop. Nice work on the one you built. I'll post a photo when mine's done, but I'm thinking of buying another kit - it's a versatile small-business building.

Not much to report from the train room. Did some more work on Vic's Barber Shop and did some figuring on the layout expansion.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone. 39 degrees, warming up to 40 later, then down to 10 tonight. The winter weather roller coaster continues!

Mark in MN - Brrrrr - hope all the SuperBowl hoopla warms all of Minnesota, even up where you are. My word, you're not far from the Canadian border, are you?

119 miles as the crow flies.

In our local paper, here in Park Rapids, there was an article about some folks that went to Philly for the Vikings/Eagles game and found out the "City of Brotherly Love" wasn't so much and where extremely poor hosts! Throwing beer cans at, and shoving Viking's Fans around! So, now the state is going to have a bunch of Easterners here getting drunk on $10.00 beers and fighting with each other over what in reality is a simple game! Hope next year the Stupid Bowl goes else where, as I'm not so sure how much of a boost to the local economy it is! All this is roughly 200 miles away from me, so it matter's little to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back