Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 37 and clear here in SW MO, hitting 55 this afternoon. Time for more coffee and more doughnuts!!

BeachBum - Thanks for the ID on the "BFD." Since my layout is not in Baltimore, I can't leave the BFD visible on the building, so I'll have to create a sign "PVFD." And yes, I realize that if I open that bay door I'm in for a world of fun furnishing the interior of the bay. :eek:

Here's a photo of a lumberyard I'm putting together. I bought one of the buildings from my LHS consignment table and the other one at a train show last year. 8 or 10 bucks each, as I recall. There's a freight dock I built hiding behind that one freight car on the right. Still need to add security fencing, forklifts, and workers, plus the landscaping. This is an area of the layout I haven't given much attention to as you can see from the big bare areas..

Lumberyard 1 2018.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Guys. 44° and clear with pretty stiff 15 mph winds from the southwest. That same wind is going to increase to 25+ mph around mid-day, we're under a wind and grassfire advisory all day. It will be 75° later on. That's 20° above average.
Should have a great view of the "super blue blood moon" eclipse this morning. There won't be a full eclipse here as the moon will set before totality, but we'll still get around 90 minutes of (slow motion) action.
Thanks for the additional comments regarding the details for "Jack's"; Chet, Johnny, Garry, Curt, Karl, and anybody else that I may have missed.
Out in the train shed, my new SD40-2 engines arrived late yesterday. I only had time to test-run them and will give them something to pull later today.
01-30-15 007.JPG01-30-15 009.JPG
01-30-15 012.JPG01-30-15 008.JPG
The last picture is an unexpected extra gift that I found enclosed in the shipping carton. A freebie for spending $570 with ScaleTrains.com.
I did get to run each one individually and in consists, and all is well. They are "DC ready" and I just set them on the track and turned the throttle on. Speed matched well, one of them gained 1" over a 150' run on the layout...I can live with that. More pictures later.

Garry - Your additional photos are great and showcase your outstanding work.
Johnny - Regarding the fire station, I would just print myself an additional sign and mount it just below the emblem. On my layout the "RFD" (that is what it looks like to me also) just means "Rural Fire Department", although in real life it has something to do with the mail. This mornings' picture that you posted looks like wide swaths of my layout! Bare plywood.:cool: I did get some pictures of "Vic's" that I will post for you later as well.
Curt - Hope that you get the sleep thing worked out. I hate it when it happens to me. Structure is coming along really well. I also send prayers for your wife.
Joe - Best wishes on your health. Sounds like there is more than you are letting us know. Thanks for that tidbit on fire engines and the doors. I didn't know that and I will have to push mine back in on a different fire station.
Justin - Think positive!
Louis - Happy Birthday to your very tolerant and dedicated wife.
Terry - Isn't it time to kick Murphy out of your house? I have had to change tires in the dark on my gravel (sometimes wet and unstable) driveway before. If not completely flat, sometimes I could add enough air to get to the lighted, paved parking lot of the convenience store about seven miles away.

Time to move on, everybody have a great day.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl: what did you use on your dermal to remove the unremovable? last time I used ISO, I needed more than a toothbrush, the Dremel looks like a good idea.

I used a Dremel 405, soft nylon bristle brush.

xDremel_Rotary_Tool_Accessory_405_,28EN,29,284,29.jpg.pagespeed.ic.tub9Uyjsx_.webp

1 word of caution. Keep it in the fluid at all times, it will attack the plastic dry!

Good morning. 21 degrees with cloudy skies.

Karl - Nice to see you back here again. Very interesting video. I'l have to put that in the old memory bank for future reference.

Terry - Apparently you haven't evicted Murphy yet. Bummer of a way to start the day.

Louis - Nice t see you up and about on the forum. Hope you have some good plans for the wife's birthday.

Joe
- A can see that you are watering at the mouth for that RDC. I would also. I don't know why, but I am fascinated with the RDC's. I only got to ride on one once when I was a kid but always thought that it was cool to have a passenger car move on its own without a locomotive. They offered an undecorated version that would have been perfect for me to letter for my own railroad, but again, I was run off due to the price. $225 retail for the DC version. Here's a video from Rapido trains on the unit for those who are not familiar with it.

[video=youtube;r4UgNaVij98]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4UgNaVij98&t=419s[/video]

The details on these units are second to none and they accurately model the different versions that the different railroads had. I still want one but I just can't seem to justify the price for the amount of use I would get out of it. By the way, the building is looking good.

Justin - Take your time and get it right. A couple of extra sticks of flex track ain't gonna put you in the poor house, but maybe the dog house ??? icon_lol.gif

Johnny - Another nice photo. The background is well done.

Willie - Those SD40's are sweet. That was big of them to throw in pen.

Here's a rail picture for today.

51204900.jpg

Later

Morning fellers. Sooooo.....Houston we have a problem! My radius is too tight!!!! Oddly everything besides my GP35s will go through it. However they bog down really bad. At first I figured well a six axle isn't going to go through 18" curves very happily. But! When my actual coal shifter GP35 derails.....I have no choice but to take that section up and adjust it as needed. Glad I caught this early on. Seems to me I need to stop testing with my SD7 and test with my GP35. I miss the mark by a little over a railhead width. Just tight enough to cause a problem. And if I can't use my GP35 then it is no good to me. Cause the layout plan for motive power is my Uboat for yard switching and GP35 for coal shifter. Now that being said when I said this was a C&O based plan as close as I can get it I also meant there will be no Chessie power on this one. This is a C&O layout. So my C&O U23B and my C&O GP35 are the staples. I shouldn't say no Chessie power on this. Who am I kidding? But anyways I have to get the track issues under control first.

Justin

Howdy ... We were in Nashville yesterday. We drove home last evening listening to the speech.

Louis ... Happy birthday to your wife.

Justin ... You mentioned the other day your SD7 is an early Life Like P2K. I have two of them. as built, they tended to derail. If yours has that problem, it is fixable. Trucks are mounted slightly too snugly. With some gentile filing the problem is solved. Trucks are held on the the two prongs on the gear box covers. File the surface on the prongs very slightly.

Karl ... Yoru GP35 project sounds like a fun one.

Johnny ... The lumber yard will provide revenue for your railroad.

Willie ... I like the SD40's .... I like the Santa Fe.

Well now. That's some really good info. I'll look into that. I don't normally run it but from time to time it's nice to see a long hood forward running around the layout.

Justin

JUSTIN - I'm back looking for that straight Jacket and notifing the guys with the White Coats!

Heaven's Man -- Add a 3 inch strip down each length of that "sacred sheet"!

Justin - Another trick to use on a six axle diesel is to adjust the gauge of the center axle of each truck to the narrow side of the tolerance gauge, while keeping the two end axles centered or slightly to the wide side. Makes the truck behave like a two axle truck since the flanges on the center axle aren't rubbing on the rails in a curve.

Willie

I don't need a straight jacket. I'm ok. I'm not upset simply because at least I caught it early. I've been on the same curved section for a couple of days. It's been a complete issue. If not one thing it's another. Trying to get everything smooth for the most part and getting it all to fit. So tonight I'll take up that section and widen it a hair. That should fix that. Not too big a problem. I'm off center on the roadbed anyways. I don't have a good centerline to use. The cork I have is cut in such a way that when the two halves come together the cut in the middle is off of my center line. I'll have to center my track on it by eyeball or measure the top and add the center line to it that way.

Justin

Chet, I know you don't do DCC, but Factory Direct Trains has the CN decorated ones with DCC and sound for $221. Logan Valley could buy a used one, and patch it into their name for you to run in Livingston.

Thanks Terry. I have found a few others available and just can't seem to reach my wallet. Guess too much bowling or something.

I already have one RDC which for a railroad my size is really enough. Usually pull a club car behind it. Also have a couple of Con Cor cars decorated for the NP that I can drag around with a Mogul.

thumbnail_20171217_144350.jpg 20180113_152144.jpg

Besides these, I have a few coaches that can be pulled by either steam or diesel plus an old Bachmann Spectrum Doodlebug which is lettered for the Logan Valley. On top of that, drover cabooses on local freight trains can pick up any stray passengers.

The details on the Rapido RDC is outstanding but I asked myself, "do I want it", the answer was yes, but then asked myself "Do I NEED it" and the answer was no. Modeling such a rural area on a layout that is built mainly for switching, it is not a necessity.

FINALLY got back to the basement tonight. About a week or so ago I decided to strip the paint from a Kato GP35, to eventually be a running mate to my WM 504.
Last time I had a Kato stripped I had to pay Brian Wolf at Mainline hobbies to bead blast the SP paint job away. This time I got daring. I saw a video of a guy who soaks his Katos in 95% alcohol, then attacks them with a Dremel!

[video=youtube;XtqEDuiZfzk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtqEDuiZfzk[/video]

I thought I'd try it, so I did. After all, It was only a CSX unit. :rolleyes:

1st step, disassembly

View attachment 65180

Then I soaked in 95% Iso for about a week, then scrubbed with a toothbrush....all it did was push off some lettering.

View attachment 65181

Out came the Dremel, and in the next 15 minutes.....

View attachment 65185View attachment 65184View attachment 65183View attachment 65182

Karl, thanx for sharing that since I have a Kato SD40 still painted in the CSX "stealth" gray scheme, that I want to repaint in C&O.

Are you planning to paint your GP35 in the traditional WM black w/speed lettering, or in "circus" colors?

Karl, thanx for sharing that since I have a Kato SD40 still painted in the CSX "stealth" gray scheme, that I want to repaint in C&O.

Are you planning to paint your GP35 in the traditional WM black w/speed lettering, or in "circus" colors?

Black Speed Lettering, Circus scheme makes me ill. :p

Joe - A can see that you are watering at the mouth for that RDC. I would also. I don't know why, but I am fascinated with the RDC's. I only got to ride on one once when I was a kid but always thought that it was cool to have a passenger car move on its own without a locomotive. They offered an undecorated version that would have been perfect for me to letter for my own railroad, but again, I was run off due to the price. $225 retail for the DC version. Here's a video from Rapido trains on the unit for those who are not familiar with it.

Chet: A funny thing happened on the way to the Coach yard. The car vanished from inventory. The dealer contacted me and advised it was no longer available. :mad:

Now, an even funnier thing happened later when I researched availability. I stubbornly resist purchasing or selling on e-Bay...It's just me. No valid reason, I just don't. There were a few more at various stages of e-bayness, Buy it Now, in progress auction, etc. I found one at Walthers, yes, Walthers at full MSRP. For what it's worth, I was able to get it for roughly the same price as the other vendor had charged. The other Vendor, offered the unit at $185, plus shipping, and NJ Sales tax. Total cost, $ 206.46 I had a Walthers 10% discount coupon, bringing the price down to $ 202.50, shipping was free and there was no tax. Net cost $202.50, or $3.96 cheaper. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

RDC cars are neat. They were everything the Gas cars (aka Doodlebugs), were not. Clean, bright air conditioned, quiet, vs noisy, oily hot or drafty. RDCs were fast. RDCs could go almost everywhere. Paul Reistrup, a former Director of Passenger services for the B&O/C&O, and CEO of Amtrak, advocated trains of RDCs leaving the endpoint, and dropping cars for other destinations at each junction. They were very versatile. The B&O and Reading had cars that offered food service.

I had the opportunity once to run the PRR gas car 4666, the Main Generator, was adjacent to the control stand. No wonder I'm hard of hearing. :rolleyes: I also ran the RDC, the Torque Converter Drive sounded like a Greyhound bus, with the engines and drive mechanism beneath the floor. You could hear each transition.

Karl: Thanks, I saved your post for reference.

Willie: Nice SD40-2s. I really like Scale Trains rivet Counter freight cars, for instance the Airslide Covered Hopper, and the Carbon Black car.
Health wise, I really don't know at this point. I see the guy next Tuesday. My Doctor took an EKG, and found nothing wrong, but wanted a stress test, and another opinion. If I was younger, and if the guy around the corner hadn't recently dropped dead, I would have blown this off. Now, I'm looking for confirmation that nothing is amiss.

Justin:
Similarly, check your drive train on the GP35s. I have some that bind up on straight track, and 32" radius curves. Another thing you might consider, that's bumping out your curves to 19" or 20", if you can. Sherrel has a point adding 3" or the width of a 1"x4" to each side of your layout. It would give you a little breathing room.

Joe - That's a bummer about the RDC. I also know what you mean about ebay. It is what I usually refer to as the place of last resort if I am totally out of places to look, but I did end up getting what I needed to build my North Coast Limited locomotives plus got the F-7 A and B units in the Lowey paint scheme for just a low ball opening bid. The RDC I have I believe is a Proto 1000 whch is probably the same one Walthers is offering. It is a smooth running car but just a bit noisy. Can't complain.

Having finished my work for the week and the only important thing I have left to do is to hold the chair on the floor. I was watching a number of YouTube videos on the RDC's and they had some nice video of the B&O RDC in one offering. In another video they did show a 3 car RDC stopping and cutting one unit loose to head to another destination. They are excellent looking cars.

Anyone interested in a 12 car set of Athearn Santa Fe 50' MAP cars??? Have no idea what they may be worth. Set #2908 A-K .

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back