Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've officially committed to the track plan. I like it. I decided to stick with it. It allows expansion and it's as true to the prototype as I can get on a sacred sheet.

Justin
Congratulations. That's good to hear. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Jesse

Good evening ...

Willie, Jesse, Paul, Phil, Chet, and others I may have missed. .... Thanks much for commenting on my photos.

Paul ... I'll be praying for your surgery. . I have been a heart patient for about 15 years. I have had an implanted pacemaker / defibrillator / device for most of those years. It has restarted my heart and saved my life. 6 times. I believe you will do well. ... You mentioned an alternative for scenery instead of wads of paper and paper towels.

Justin .... I can see why you hare happy with this track plan. It is a great one.

[BGood afternoon Rail Benders & Spike Drivers

Willie - nice photos of your latest structure. Do you use an airbrush?
Just tried to upload a photo again 3X, no luck. "Upload of the file failed"
Finally got the system to accept this photo below, but not the other photo I've been trying to upload - it won't let that one in for some reason.

This one is some landscaping outside of town. Making progress but nowhere near finished yet. A lake and river will be part of the landscape later on.
View attachment 65080

Have a good day everyone.

Johnny: Looks like your making good progress.

Afternoon All,

Cooler today but not bad. I spent a couple of hours working on the kit. I glued the wall inserts on the inside of the outer walls, then after they dried I put in floor bracing and covered channels for lighting wiring. After that dried I painted the interior a Tamiya flat buff. Tomorrow I hope to get the walls together.

View attachment 65087

View attachment 65088

Here is the first installment (of 4) from Bill Fagan of my layout. In this case still shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5KEmOZkb5Q

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Nice videos Bill is doing for you. You have an Empire there! It looks very good.

Afternoon All,

Another cool day here. Did some chores earlier then I attached the wall corners and painted them. After that I put together the 4 walls and after the glue dried I repainted the glue seams. After that I cut out the 2 floors and test fit the interlocking machine. Tomorrow I plan on gluing down wood planks on both floors and stain them. I know it won't be very visible, but I will know it's there.

Thank you to Louis, Trig, Phil, Jesse, Ken, Willie, Chet and anyone I might of missed.

Jesse- Even better, it's a Pennsy car!;)

Ken- Bill never mentioned special effects. I believe what we see is the tunnel portal "soot" seen through glare, but you're right it does look like brake smoke.

Justin- Something you can do to have a C&O layout without a specific track plan is C&O equipment (you have), C&O style buildings and details specific to the C&O (like you posted the other day). Later you can put in C&O specific signals. Just some ideas.

Mark- Welcome.

View attachment 65098

Part 2 is a flyover (walk around)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP9_WzynEJg

Curt: The fly over video is very good too, I still have to watch the third one.

Good morning ...

Willie .... I like your building.

I am continuing to add trees and details to my 1900 era scene. .....

25031182457_afc4a8cbf7_b.jpg

39902841071_1fdda8bbcc_b.jpg

39003913355_725f6e7bb3_b.jpg

Garry: Great scenes, I see you did put a rail siding behind the station to pick up or deliver goods to the loading platform. That fits in best I think and the old baggage car sets it of nicely!

Afternoon All,

Well I'm dealing with a cold round #2. We seem to be passing it around the family with no way to get off the merry-go-round. Went for groceries earlier and after lunch I put the flooring for the first level. I wanted to take a photo of it in the tower but it just looks like a dark blob in my camera.

Found out earlier that I am watching the grand kids Sat. and Sun. MOH is working all weekend and the boy's parents don't want them watching any TV or computer time since they both are in trouble at work. Fun times.

Thank you Trig, Sherrel, Joe, Garry, Johnny, Willie and anyone I might of missed.

VA Ken- Nicely done.

Jesse- Nice looking beetle.

Mark- I have had a Spectrum K4s for years without any issues. I also have 2 Sharks draw-barred together and one of them is starting to have a gear issue when going down a track decline but only when it's the lead unit.

Trig- Nice job on the piers and track laying.

Willie- I have used Tichy windows and doors several times and I like them. NESL also has a nice selection of them.

Joe- Nice photo of the coaling tower.

Chet- Nice track photo. I have only been posting 1 video a day to keep from hogging all the bandwidth.

Garry- Very nice job on the scenery. Are you going to have water over the wheel?

View attachment 65107

Southbound on the layout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErG50fCicso

I hope everyone has a good evening.

Curt: I want to watch this video shortly, today Sun.
Ok, shortly after posting this, I did watch the cab ride, great video! Really enjoyed it.

Very probably the problem of not being able to bring out the details in the second floor shot was that you were not using a 'Spot Meter Setting' in the camera and possibly too far back from the subject?

Not a problem at all Sherrel
The track joiners within the module system are of my own design so I can keep them from getting mixed up. The track joiners on the end are NMRA standards. My track rail ends must be exactly 4.5" from the edge of the table. The adjoining module must be the same so that a 9" piece of track can be used as a joiner.
I need to put some paint markers on each track joiner so I know where they go on the module system.

View attachment 65110

View attachment 65109

View attachment 65108

View attachment 65111

Ken: Looks like your making good progress. Also very good tip about using super glue to hold the bend in flex track! But doesn't it loose
it's flex track status then to become sectional track? LoL, I couldn't resist.

KEN D&H -- Thanks .. my feeble mind didn't think of using a 9 inch section as a bridge. Such a simple concept!
I am contemplating how I can make my "table" in two sections for taking it up the stairs. You may have just provided the answer!
Now, if the same concept will work on a curve - I will have my answer.

Sherrel: Sorry to hear about your wife's knee problem. Mine act up on me too. No fun till I get moving around awhile.

I may....be in over my head on this build.

Justin

Jesse .... Hopefully, you can get windows out. Masking tape may be difficult. There is masking tape made for working with models if you do mask. Probably it would be better not t ouse dull coat if you can't keep it off of the windows.

Justin .... Probably you will not be over your head with this build. Just take your time. Little baby steps. It does not have to be completed too fast.

I am working some more on my scene. ....

For downtown, I moved the railroad buildings out of my way. Then I added figures, horse and wagons, the 1913 fire truck, and details.

28157296049_aed9a825d7_b.jpg

25065559137_049f37d147_b.jpg

.. For the grist mill, I added the rock I needed so it does not hang over the water at one end. I also added a horse and wagon.

39226603134_8733585fe0_b.jpg

Ko
25065533047_6b4dff2e89_b.jpg

[BGarry:][/B] I also see a relative operates the Grist Mill, very good!

Elements I have to get into this build to have accurate coal operations- coal marshalling yard( have down already), loadout tracks that are pass through as appropriate. Sooooo......that being said. Mainline trackage is now off the table. This build is going to be a solid branch line build. It's the only way to pull this off. I'll pull coal loads out of my hoppers in the marshalling yard. Block them as needed for trips the loadout or loadouts rather. I plan on two right now. That's doable. I'll keep the loadout close the the branch line trackage as best I can. This is my plan and we'll to capture what I want I have to sacrifice the mainline run altogether. It's the hardest pill to swallow for me. I need to just give up that idea. It's just easier said than done.

Justin

Justtin: You'll handle it just fine.

You know the ANPL Coffee Shop is a good thread where anything can be talked about. My problem with it is that there is way to much traffic to keep up with!

Carry on!

Mark: I'm late in welcoming you to the Coffee shop, 'Jeffrey Running Bears' Dinner' name in honor of a fallen Railroader who passed on at far too young of an age of 52. He added a lot to the forum.

Your completely right that things can move quite quickly at times. Too quick for me too at times

Ok not 100% complete. But here is another track plan I've come up with. With possible expansion past my marshalling yard.
06677fd92834e71d119b1c97539258b3.jpg
79ff5b3f6cf6b8e8841f0d7493cc00e7.jpg
454479742585221110ef6a0927e4c1a2.jpg

Justin

Justin It looks like your getting your track plan soddedlidified, which is great! The added expansion track is a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing Chet didn't include a rails pic in his last post, here's one from the state of South Australia, showing where all 3 of the gauges used by that state came together at the town of Gladstone

300px-Gladstone_Railyard_March_1986_002.jpg

3'6" narrow, 4'8.5" standard, and 5'3" broad.

Good Morning All. 33° and clear, almost a full moon. Springlike weather in the forecast for at least the next ten days. I do wish that I had some of you easterners' rain though. Headed back to the dentist today for the permanent crown that replaces the one that broke earlier this month. The temporary one has been OK. Since it broke, he is replacing it for free. I like dentists that guarantee their work!
Out in the train shed, I continued working on that Bar Mills structure, or rather the details that go with it. Here's some shots of the current status, about 90% completed.
01-28-18 001.JPG01-28-18 003.JPG
01-28-18 004.JPG01-28-18 005.JPG

Still needed is a workbench that goes under the canopy on the right, pallets scattered about, some (fake) lights on the building and I am scouring the net for an appropriate picture that I can use for inside the front window. I also still need to weather it a bit and add people. I'm not too sure what my next project is yet; I have at least 50 that need to be addressed at some point, most have to do with landscaping.
DRAT! According to the UPS website, my SD40-2 engines are still in Nashville TN and haven't moved since Friday night. Hopefully this is an issue with the UPS tracking system and not my engines. This is something that normally happens to Terry, not me! I have already moved a few other engines off the layout onto the storage shelf in anticipation of their arrival. My engineers are chomping at the bits right now.

Jesse - Good finds on E-Bay.
Paul - Very best wishes on the pacemaker installation. Doctors have been doing it for so long that it is just like a decoder install to them. Regarding your hills, I have read about and seen some fine work using "plaster cloth", but I have never used anything other than paper towel strips on a layout.
Sherrel - You posted
I really don't have much to contribute to modeling
Don't sell yourself short. I have seen photos that you posted of what I believe was your work from the past. Besides, who else can tell us about 1800's railroading first hand?:cool:
Eric - Glad that you got a break from the rain and could make the beer run. That's why I keep lots of extra around, at least a four week supply...I have been iced in for five days before!
Chet - Congratulations on the showing at the bowling tournament. Look at the bright side, you can reach farther into the layout with your right arm now!:rolleyes:

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Hmmmm......why does snap track seem to get waves in it when it's laid? At the joints no less...perfectly level benchwork. Roadbed attached securely to said level benchwork. Waves in my track? Thank goodness they are only a template! Flextrack will be replacing those. Not dealing with it this time. It hasn't caused any derails as of yet. I will more than likely never run six axle power on it but it will be six axle approved. My SD7 is the test locomotive for my track work as it was quick to derail on my last layout. So far even with the waves in the curves it's holding it's own. But I'm taking no chances this time.

Justin

Good morning, everybody...

Toot
... Wow .... Talk about something difficult to keep track of .... That's some photo.

David Truss Rod .... Yes, I thought you had a good suggestion about having a track on the back side of the depot. So, I did it. Thanks.

Willie ... That building has a lot of character ..... Nice !

Justin ..... I have an important suggestion to you. You should have transition curves between the straight track and the curve track. This will greatly reduce derailments as trains enter curves. Think about driving your vehicle as you enter a curve. As your turn the steering wheel, the vehicle gradually changes from straight highway to curved highway. Real trains do the same thing because real tracks have transition curves. ..Again, this is important ! ... Google "Model Railroad transition curves", and you should find articles and videos to help. That is a reason why using flex track is a good idea. .... I believe you can do that with your track plan.

Good morning everyone. 25 and overcast. Will rise to 34 today, down to 19 tonight. Rest of week looking okay for daytime highs but nights will be COLD!!

Beautiful weekend just passed. Saturday was 60 but windy as all getout, so we went shopping and just stayed inside most of the day. Sunday was almost 60 and calm, so MOH and I spent the afternoon working in the yard raking leaves and dumping them down the gully. We're bordered on three sides by pretty deep woods, so lots of leaves make their way into our yard in the fall and winter. No work in the garden yet - a little to early here for that.

Here at work I finally broke down and brought my own coffeemaker in from home - an old Farberware percolator. I got tired of those Keurig things - no offense, but they just don't do it for me. I think coffee made the old-fashioned way tastes better. Sooo - - -Just finishing up my first cup of mocha for the morning - got three more waiting for me in the pot!!

Curt - nice ride-through video. Very informative.
Garry - nice photos of your layout. Love the old west theme. Especially like the firetruck - firetrucks always interest me because of my father's long-time (54 years) service as a volunteer fireman out on Long island.
Justin - Thanks for posting the photos. So, it looks like a plan to go with. Have fun!!

Not much to report from the train room. Worked on my latest structure build, "Vic's Barber Shop." Using all Polly Scale paints on this structure - I really like those paints for structures as well as rolling stock and even rail tie painting (haven't tried that yet, but intend to soon). Thanks to Willie for putting me onto them, and then being able to find a stash of 'em at my LHS.

Lots of work to do on the layout: got to finish a tunnel, build a peninsula for the expansion section, and put roads in the main town. That's for starters!

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. 40° and cloudy.

Toot: That is one switch, that I would definitely recheck the position of the points before moving on it. wow! Gladstone? Wasn't he a Prime Minister during Queen Victoria's Reign ? That's the third Gladstone, with railroad connections I've visited on the Internet this week. The others are in Pennsylvania, on SEPTA's West Chester branch, and Gladstone, NJ, on NJT, former DL&W. Trivia: Did you know, that Gladstone, NJ is the Prototype for Atlas Classic Passenger station?

Willie: That building, is fantastic. "Jacks Junk" Looks like a stop on the "American Pickers Tour", on History Channel.

Justin: Is that the same Snap Track you used on your old layout? On real railroad track, especially stick rail, the splices then to get wavy. It's called Battered Joints, and comes from running over them for a period of time. Unless the Joint is supported, by a tie, the joint flexes and bends during each movement.
Snap Track joints are unsupported, The ties are slit to accommodate the rail joiners, so the track joint is unsupported for at least an inch. That's why some people who use Snap track, remove the end ties, and use replacement ties at joints. The other issue with snap track is that the splices are equal on each rail, and not staggered, like on real rail. More than likely this was the cause of your SD7 derailing, rather than the 18" radius curve itself. Just keep in mind that flex has it's own issues at joints, which can be equally frustrating. Nothing is insurmountable, and you will find the solution.

Willie - clicked on your attachments but all I get is a message: "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."

Some trick I don't know about to get to see the attachments?

Good morning. We're starting the day off at 38 degrees, above freezing for a change.

Justin - The plan you have looks good and hope it works out for you with all of the research you've done. Can't answer your question about the snap track. I haven't used sectional track since the mid 70's. Hand laid or flex track for me.

Paul - Good luck with your surgery.

Willie - Excellent looking building. Bar Mills does put out some really fine kits. Not many kits like that were available when I was in the building stages of my layout.

Ken in MD - Hope you'll have time during the op session to take some photos. The prep work can take a lot of time.

I did manage to get down to the train room for a while yesterday and get reacquainted with the trains. Did a bit of switching moving the B&O dining car to the siding where it will be a restaurant and added another dome car, dining car and coach to the tourist train. I did lubricate the F unit before switching and then ran it for a while as I have no idea of when this locomotive was run last.

20180128_160301.jpg 20180128_161147.jpg 20180128_163123.jpg

After running for a while the locomotive smoothed out quite a bit and now runs completely silently. A good candidate for sound if I were to go that way. It has been sent down the the hidden staging tracks now that it got some exercise.

Toot - Interesting photo. Three different gauges. Never saw anything like that before. Sorry about not posting a rail photo yesterday. I was pretty well beat after the tournament. Thanks for subbing.

Here's a rail picture for today.

railroad-track-bridge-curtis-10.jpg

Later

My take on flex is it's less joints to contend with. Now with the track that is being laid out I didn't use on my previous layout. It's sections I've had left over. I only am using them as a template as I had no other means to set my radius for my curves. The section that cuts around the marshalling yard is a piece of flex and it works nicely. Now back to the curves. I did notice that they drop at the joints. They kinda taper down at the ends. I don't know the age of this track as I've had some I know since 2007. That's 11 years! Can't believe I've had anything that long. The SD7 is 11 years in my fleet too. I got it early on in my collecting as I had heard that the Life Like P2K models were really decent and had wanted to try one out. Well it has surpassed expectations and is a solid runner.

Justin

Good Morning: It's 55* heading up to 85* today! Lots of wind yesterday and the same expected today! Most of the time "we" are somewhat shielded from the Santa Anna's, but not this time - averaged 20-30 MPH most of the day around here. North of here winds were clocked at 75-80 MPH.

Willie ... Thank you for the compliment (I think?). Yes, I remember those 4-4-0 American's! The Frisco, and Katy too, had several that lasted until the last days of steam.
Your latest build wins the prize! I have a photo of my garage workbench somewhere that would fit your window scene to a "T".

TOOT - Remarkable trackwork - and I thought dual gauge was difficult!

Johnny -- I am with you on the coffee. I may have to argue with the boss, but I agree with you!

Justin - Thank God that you finally got it under control! I was on the "cusp" of calling out the guys with the white jackets! LOL

Garry - any time. You have a very nice scene going.

Willie - thank you. Was messaged by the seller this morning. He apologized for the delay in shipping, but has been dealing with family in the hospital. Offered to include a couple of freebies for being patient with him. Not sure what they are, but I told him it wasn't necessary but would be appreciated if he wanted to. So we'll see. That building looks awesome btw. I hope your new locos arrive soon.

Chet - nice photos. I am interested in your dining car into restaurant conversion. Can't wait to see pics. I'm trying to decide how detailed I'm going with mine, but I guess it depends on the car. And whether I can find details small enough to make it look authentic.

Jesse

Good Morning: It's 55* heading up to 85* today! Lots of wind yesterday and the same expected today! Most of the time "we" are somewhat shielded from the Santa Anna's, but not this time - averaged 20-30 MPH most of the day around here. North of here winds were clocked at 75-80 MPH.

Willie ... Thank you for the compliment (I think?). Yes, I remember those 4-4-0 American's! The Frisco, and Katy too, had several that lasted until the last days of steam.
Your latest build wins the prize! I have a photo of my garage workbench somewhere that would fit your window scene to a "T".

TOOT - Remarkable trackwork - and I thought dual gauge was difficult!

Johnny -- I am with you on the coffee. I may have to argue with the boss, but I agree with you!

Justin - Thank God that you finally got it under control! I was on the "cusp" of calling out the guys with the white jackets! LOL
I may need the white jacket anyway. I may lose my mind just setting my track in place.

Justin

Jesse - I am using a Bachmann dining car for my restaurant.

20180113_151804.jpg

It is a quite nicely detailed car and also has interior lighting. I can isolate the end of the siding where the car will be parked, just to the left of the dome car in this train, and power the last section of track to light the car. One of the many uncompleted projects sitting on my work bench is a building, about 12'x12' with a set of stairs going up to the car level for people to enter the car.

You could easily use the car that you have. I doubt that you'll be adding an interior to it being that it is so small. You do have steps entering from the side of that car so diners can enter from the side of the car. An average dining car that a railroad would use would only have access from the side for the kitchen to receive supplies but there would be no access to the dining area except from each end of the car.

Here is a train that we have enjoyed a couple of times. The Charlie Russell Chew Choo. It runs from just west of Lewistown, Mt to Denton, MT and back. The cars are old Boston & Maine RDC with the engines removed and runs on the old Milwaukee Road trackage now being serviced by the Central Montana Railroad.

CRCTrain1 (1800x785).jpg

The interiors have been modified having the seating removed and dining tables installed. There is no kitchen in these cars, so the food (outstanding prime rib) is prepared in Lewistown and brought to the train just before departure. On one trip, the train crew performed a murder mystery during the trip and had the passengers join in. Didn't get the train robbery as it was later in the year and it got dark a lot sooner. The round trip is roughly 66 miles and passes through a number of tunnels and passes over a number of trestles.

charlie-russell-chew.jpg

[video=youtube;yhDqM625UtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDqM625UtM[/video]

You could do something like this on your layout.

Chet - your Central Montana video is great fun! And, as always, the photos of your layout are inspiring. Thanks for posting.

Afternoon All,

Today is day 4 of the cold. On top of that after 3 am today all I did was toss and turn in bed. I guess I feel pretty washed out at this point. I did do some chores earlier and I glued down the wood flooring (2nd floor) and stained it. I also painted 16 detail strips. I was going to post a picture of the floor and the last video but I just didn't have the energy to mess with it today.

Thank you to Garry, CA Dave, and Johnny for your kind words and anyone I might of missed.

VA Ken- It makes sense the way you do the track to join the modules.

Garry- Great looking pictures and modeling.

Jesse- I frequently have to wait to order stuff also. Money only goes so far.

Justin- Thumbs up. The oldest thing I have is a 1942 version of a ship recognition book that my last command was going to throw out, but I got permission to take.

Paul- Best wishes with the surgery.

Toot- That would be very confusing to switch.

Willie- Nice job. All those details really make the building.

Chet- Nice video and layout pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back