Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.....were the two events related? Your laptops certainly have a unique way of keeping an insurance Actuary busy.
They were only indirectly related. We've had extreme bitter cold weather here until Friday, when the temperature abruptly rose nearly 50 degrees. I unfortunately was at ground zero when a sheet of partly melted snow dumped onto my head, and, of course, the unzipped laptop bag I was carrying. By the time I got up off the ground, staggered into the house, and regained my faculties enough to remove the laptop, the melting snow had done its work on the electronics.
We are also blaming the abrupt temp change on the sudden fracturing of the 65 year old toilet tank.
A direct modern replacement for my "new" Macbook Pro would be $1700. Since I also had to buy a $200 toilet at essentially the same time, I ended up buying a really nice Windows laptop for much less than half that. I will do most "stuff" with it, and use my old Macbook Pro or iMac for the Serious Stuff. The "old" laptop is a 2012 model, and the iMac is a 2011. Both work very well, but as time and technology march on, they are becoming slower with every passing update.
The new laptop, for anybody interested, is a Lenovo Yoga 720 13", and other than the unfortunate fact it uses Windows 10, it so far seems a very capable machine.

For anybody that keeps suffering at the hands of Windows 10 updates, you can go in to network settings, and mark your wifi connection as "metered", and prevent Windows from downloading updates over that network.

Other than that, it's clear and 37, with the massive snow melt continuing unabated.

Good morning, everybody

Justin ... I like the photos you posted of WV coal mines. Actually, my next industry to build will be a coal mine, and that is why your photos got my attention. My coal mine will represent a Southern Illinois coal mine. CB&Q did originate a lot of coal traffic from southern IL. ...... Also, you said it was back to the drawing board deciding on a track plan. I hope you are not too frustrated. If I get a chance I'll look through some old truck plan books I have here to see if there is one I can suggest.

Yesterday, I began working on adding details and trees to my project.

Happy Model Railroading

Good Morning Everyone. A balmy 60° and overcast right now. Rain is still in the forecast, chances are now at 15%, down from 45% at this time yesterday, but looking at the radar, the closest showers (if they're even heavy enough to hit the ground) are 250 miles away down in the San Antonio/Austin area. So it looks like outdoor activity for me today. Great weather right now, how often can I say that we slept with the windows in the bedroom open in January?
Attended the train show yesterday in Plano TX. Boy was it crowded, but I was able to find a parking space up close. The place where they have this show (twice a year), is not an ideal venue but it is one that the association can afford. There is a large exhibition hall where most of the modular layouts (maybe 18) are set up, interspersed with maybe 50 dealer/hobby shop areas. Some of these approach 1000 ft². Two large rooms have the "S" scale and "G" scale in them, along with a few dealer tables each, and there's four additional large rooms with only dealers. So far so good...but there are probably 30 or so additional dealer tables along with a snack bar and dining tables, lining the walls of the interconnecting corridors, making passage less than desirable at best. Clinics are held in a smaller side room. I normally don't purchase at these shows as there are no bargains until the last hour Sunday. Business is brisk enough that the sellers don't need to "cut a deal". All of the LHS's represented are discounters anyway so I visit their physical locations and browse in peace. The highlight for me is the self-guided home/club layout tour. Yesterday I made three visits to layouts that I had been to before, to observe their construction progress. Sorry Sherrel, but I left the camera at home.:mad: I also left my gift certificate to Discount Model Trains at home as well, so I guess I'll have to make a return trip.:rolleyes: CRS at work here!

David - You are most definitely a "night person".
Greg - There's no shortage of empty boxes around here, thanks to Amazon. They do appear to "over-package" everything. They are not too concerned with the environment.
Justin -
And......another layout vision bites the dust. Oh well back to the thinking chair.
What's up?
Chet - That's getting some good use out of your new blower. And to think, I fired up the tractor/mower Friday to prepare for whenever it actually starts raining and the vegetation resumes growth. December is traditionally very dry around here, but we average 3" in January so I should be thankful for the 3/4" that I got just before Christmas.

OK, gotta get moving, everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning, Happy Sunday. It's a sunny Sunday, 48° over at the Reservoir. I'm just sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee, and browsing.

Whoo -- Someone forgot to close the door last evening! 30 degrees with a bright clear sky to start today with a forecast high of 61.

I broke down and watched the Saints/Vikings last week. After the Packers I am a New Orleans fan; always thought that Breez got a raw deal when he was released from the Chargers years ago - guess he has proven his worth as a quarterback over the years?

So today - I will watch the Vikings game. Don't know about the other - I wish that they did not have both games the same day = too much football!

Someone forgot to close the door last evening! 30 degrees with a bright clear sky to start today with a forecast high of 61.

Darn Sherrel: It actually may be warmer on the Right coast than the Left Coast for part of this week.

Sigh......another day. I think I've scoured through everything I can think of for track plans. End all be all I'm going to have to shove my hoppers to my loadout. About the only track plan that fits what I'm doing is the Virginian layout. Still....I'm going to have to shove to the loadout. So I'm not exactly winning this here. It's a little depressing to say the least.

Justin

My next completed track plan. Been at this one for over 4 hours now.
72ef7aebafb774845e962f1bac57891d.jpg
0ccdbe513cbcc81f64a5b7c16def5982.jpg

Justin

Good afternoon all!

Topped out at 45 degrees today, so between yesterday, and today we had a rapid snow melt. Most all of it is gone now. I worked a little more on getting my basement in order, and got most of the N scale layout down to start building new bench work.

Jim: Those are some beautiful cars you got there!

Terry: Enjoyed the video of the Gevos, cant wait to get some track down to start running mine. Its rough seeing them in boxes not being used. I need to get them out to see if they work before the warranty period is up.

Have a great night all!

Now....this I'm already calling Justin's Coal Loop #2. It's my old layout with some modifications. I have trackage to receive inbound cars and take out loads. Of course they are on a continuous loop for now. I like the ability to run two trains at once. I have so many locomotives I like to watch them run. I am however contemplating on the possibility of making a layout plan for just a single locomotive. I don't know yet. But here are some pictures of my current plan. Plan number #3? I think?
d560e68f40ffedc5c0a7037310e0762b.jpg
a4d506e531f50739c573e612db67b44a.jpg
5652de271b7a5e9c38eac37972535cbb.jpg

Justin

Now....this I'm already calling Justin's Coal Loop #2. It's my old layout with some modifications. I have trackage to receive inbound cars and take out loads. Of course they are on a continuous loop for now. I like the ability to run two trains at once. I have so many locomotives I like to watch them run. I am however contemplating on the possibility of making a layout plan for just a single locomotive. I don't know yet. But here are some pictures of my current plan. Plan number #3? I think?
d560e68f40ffedc5c0a7037310e0762b.jpg
a4d506e531f50739c573e612db67b44a.jpg
5652de271b7a5e9c38eac37972535cbb.jpg

Justin
Justin, if you go with this plan, I'd suggest putting a right hand turnout on the outer track near the engine house. That way, you can run a spur or branch onto an extension when you finally gain more usage rights around the layout, without having to tear anything up. In fact, you could put some track there, almost to the edge of the layout. Just don't forget to put a bumper or block of some kind at the end, to keep anything from rolling off the end.

Justin, if you go with this plan, I'd suggest putting a right hand turnout on the outer track near the engine house. That way, you can run a spur or branch onto an extension when you finally gain more usage rights around the layout, without having to tear anything up. In fact, you could put some track there, almost to the edge of the layout. Just don't forget to put a bumper or block of some kind at the end, to keep anything from rolling off the end.
Exactly why I don't think I'll stay with this plan. Besides a yard for a single loadout? My branch ends at the mine. It's not enough to really say hey I need a yard! And I had this plan before. It was fun but had no expansion potential. I may just use a pre-printed plan or something of the sort. I'm having issues placing my structures anyways.

Justin

Exactly why I don't think I'll stay with this plan. Besides a yard for a single loadout? My branch ends at the mine. It's not enough to really say hey I need a yard! And I had this plan before. It was fun but had no expansion potential. I may just use a pre-printed plan or something of the sort. I'm having issues placing my structures anyways.

Justin

One of the frustrations of track planning is you learn you never have enough space to do all you want. So don't be discouraged. .. I was looking over track plans, and there are not many 4X8's in my books. Your plan here is as good as any of them .... I saw some 5x9 plans, and if you have room for that, you certainly could do a lot more. ... Another thought is to make it longer. If you could do a 4 x 10, which would have some possibilities. ...

Good evening all. Got up to almost 70 today. There was snow on the ground 3 days ago. Gotta love weather in the south. Was on e(vil)Bay today. Missed out on a nice pair of passenger cars by 50 cents. Was kinda bummed about that. But I did win a shiny yellow VW Beetle this evening for the low, low price of $2.75 + $2.95 shipping. Still better than full price.

Jim - beautiful cars.

Justin - layout looks good. Seems like you are getting closer to a final plan. Good luck in future acquisition negotiations.

Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back