New crossing gate project

NYC_George

It snowed here yesterday so no golf for a while. With that being the case I decided to start some projects I've had on the back burner. Last year I made up some crossing gate modules for the upper deck. They worked out so well I decided to do the same on the lower level. I like the idea of being able to drop in the module instead of trying to build the project from below the deck. Here's photo of the start of the project. Since these NJ International gates open and close with the control arm on a slight angle. I tried set the tortoise switch machine on the same plane.

crossing_gate_1.jpg

George

Huh, 2 Tortoise machines adds up to some serious money. Times how many of these units are you putting in?

Even way way cheaper is using 2 servos and a mini Arduino for a total cost of about $10
A few videos were done on how to build one.
Just for your info.

George,

I agree with Lloyd, RC Servo's would be a better option in all respects, cost, space and setup. I now recall that an ex member (Suzie X) sent me I don't know how many servo's for my HO turnouts along with a very comprehensive "how to" for their installation. I no longer have the servo's (I don't think) but will try to find the how to instructions if your interested.

From memory, the servo's were something like a couple of dollars each plus the wire for connecting them to the turnout. I think she also recommend a PSR or PS3 or something for automation, but wasn't necessary as it turned out.

With the space limitations due to frame work - servo's would be a very good alternative for you.

The reason I didn't use servo's is because I have a lot of tortoises I bought a long time ago sitting around here doing nothing. Tortoise's work great with gates when using a 3 volt power supply. The perfect gate speed. I had to do a few modifications to the gates because I wanted to use a heavier control arm. I tested the gates and everything works fine. I will add some quick connects tomorrow then will hook everything up into the system. Then I do a video.

crossing_gate_001.jpg

crossing_gate_002.jpg

crossing_gate_003.jpg

George

George,

Makes sense then, if you got em -use em :)

Unbelievable isn't it Tony, we will actually get to see someone who did build one and with pictures and now a video, no less. (If you remember who and what I'm referring to.

George,

I agree with Lloyd, RC Servo's would be a better option in all respects, cost, space and setup. I now recall that an ex member (Suzie X) sent me I don't know how many servo's for my HO turnouts along with a very comprehensive "how to" for their installation. I no longer have the servo's (I don't think) but will try to find the how to instructions if your interested.

From memory, the servo's were something like a couple of dollars each plus the wire for connecting them to the turnout. I think she also recommend a PSR or PS3 or something for automation, but wasn't necessary as it turned out.

With the space limitations due to frame work - servo's would be a very good alternative for you.

Tony,
I would love to see the instruction you may have for the servos and how they are implemented. Let me know if you run across the instructions. I have the servos so no need to worry about passing those one.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

No problem. If I can locate them, I'll let you know but have a bad feeling I may have gotten them inn an email. I'll have a look around and if I can find them, I'll certainly pass them onto you and anyone else who might want them.

Toot'n,

You lost me at the moment mate...?

Thought I might, Rich_Ros, remember him? wanted people to build prototypes for him with his circuitry kits. Was supposed to have shown a working crossing gate at a club's open day, but had taken no pictures or videos of it.

Toot'n,

Don't remember the name but remember the scenario now you mentioned it. Seems there are a few people in the hobby and on other forums who talk a lot about what they are going to do but ...

Anyway, it is good to see someone carry through with the project and make it work to boot :)

George and Dave,

Searched high and low for the installation instructions for using servo's etc but have not had any luck. I have emailed Suzie to see if she could/might resend that info to me but haven't heard anything back as of yet. If I do, I'll pass the info on of course.

Horseman,

From memory I don't think the servo speed was an issue as I don't recall needing anything other than the servo's, but I am trying to recall from a couple of years ago. I do know I got a Digitrax PSX2 (or something) that could be used to control multiple turnouts. Perhaps that was the key to the speed of the servo's?

I have a problem I can't seem to solve. I have a grade crossing smack over the supports and my main control panel. So there is no place for under-the-table actuators for the crossing gates. At another crossing elsewhere on the layout, the two gates are actuated by a pair of Tortise switch machines. But I just can't figure a practicable way of actuating gates. I guess the automobile traffic will just have to watch for the locomotives when the flashers and the warning bell (actuated by infrared detectors) go off. Trying to figure some bell-cranks or other means...or do without, I guess.

Back