Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang.
19 degrees out there, brrr:eek:
Need an extra large coffee this morning to keep my hands warm!

Good morning, y'all. Actually went up to 20° a few minutes ago.

Seaboard System Wheel Report.jpg

Conductor's Wheel Report

Good Morning All. 37°, partly cloudy and still dark this morning. Temperature actually came up 2° in the last hour. Mild dry weather predicted for the next ten days after a high today in the mid-70's. Went to the recycling center yesterday with two old air conditioners (100 lbs. at 4¢/lb) and 71 lbs. of aluminum cans (26¢/lb) that added $22 plus change to the train account.:rolleyes: I'm a little disappointed in the aluminum price since it was over 30¢ when I went in August. I don't really need the extra $$'s (it's nice) but I firmly believe in recycling. Looks like a new battery is in store for my old Honda Civic that is my back-up car. Even though it started right back up after I jumped it, and drove it 15 miles last week, It didn't start or even turn over after sitting in the driveway for nine days.
Out in the train shed, I arranged and rearranged buildings over and over (again) and I now think that I have the final plan; especially since I finally outlined them on the plywood. Looks like I will extend one road across the main, passing siding and eventual industry siding as well. The only good thing is that all of the tracks are/will be straight sections so I can use some Blair Line laser-cut grade crossings instead of hand-laying my own. I also spent a little time painting stripes on another road leading out of town, using a white paint pen and straightedge.

Garry - I might just have to add a bottle of that cleaner to my next Micromark order, although I might not last long enough to use half of it. lol
Justin - Sounds like you have self-diagnosed your issues. Don't despair. I am willing to bet that nearly every single one of us has started over for whatever reasons. It's rare that anyone nails it on the first go-around. It's especially true for those of us that started before the internet was available for forums such as these. I am on my fourth HO layout, although it will be my final except for possible minor modifications. And yes it is heartbreaking to tear down something that you have put a lot of time into. As Terry posted, use 1/2" BC grade plywood and support it with plenty of 1" x 4"'s. My advice is to start over and avoid any kind of chipboard or particleboard. Gusset's and such will not solve the sectional track issues, although soldering might. Use lots of feeders, they're cheap and easy insurance against power drops. Good trackwork is a must in this hobby and is actually rather easy to accomplish.
Sherrel - Good to read that your fire danger has diminished.
Eric - Is it possible to take it back to the dealer and have the spring holder-backer replaced? I for one, have never been able to relocate popped springs and parts. I give up before I start now.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning ... Cool and sunny here.

Willie .... I don't use much of the blue stuff. It is good for cleaning commutators of open frame motors.

Justin .... You are getting a lot of good advise. Min thing is not to be discouraged. Like Willie, I can say some of my early layouts were problematic. I will say the best way to build a layout in my option is to do it in little baby steps. I am building my current layout one section at a time. I'm still not done building what I started soon after we moved here in 2001. For several of the early years, my trains were operated point-to-point with no turnarounds at each end. I would run an engine around a train and haul it back to the starting point. Sometimes, I simply ran the entire train in reverse. Running trains backwards helps find trouble spots in the track needing to be corrected. .... All of that can be very fun and rewarding.

Joe ... Is that some paper work for your caboose ? ... :)

Good morning. We are a bit warmer (?) at 31 degrees this morning with a high expected near 40.

Curt - Some of those drivers in Florida are a joke. I can remember so many incidents when I was a state trooper down there. I thing the eye test was being able to find the drivers license building. I will admit that I did get a lot of laughs from some of them.

Trigster - Welcome.gif Welcome to the coffee shop. Plenty of pastries besides bear claws. Flo or Francine can let you know what's available. I too am into HO scale. No nit picker or river counters here. We have people of many skill levels on the forum and we just can't find any nits around to pick. We all help each other out. There's a video tour of my layout in my signature below. I model the transition era set in late summer of 1957. I model the area where I live in southwestern Montana.

Justin - Not a good start to the day. Did Terry send that black cloud down your way? Garry has a point when he mentioned working in steps. When I started my layout, track laying was slow as I was hand laying my track and turnouts. I was running trains on about 10 feet of track, back and forth to make sure that there were no problems. I was as happy as a pig in a mud hole when another 15 feet were added. Again, everything was tested for any track problems before I moved on to the next section of the layout. For 0ver 20 years this was the end of the line, wit the exception of the tracks dropping down into the hidden staging tracks.

IMAG0240.jpg

To the right of this was 12 feet of plywood on which I had all sorts of model railroad crap piled on it. I had worked on scenery over the years on other parts of the layout and then finally got off my butt and put in the last town which included a yard and engine servicing facility. I can count how many times I shifted tracks around before a final plan was decided on.

00002.jpg IMAG0379.jpg

I started assembling structures so I knew what the footprint of them would be. When the tracks were finally spiked down, I backed a train of 20+ cars through every possible series of turnouts to make sure that there weren't going to be any derailment problems. Like Garry mentioned, running a train in reverse will be the easiest way to fins any track problems. The time spent being careful when putting the track and turnouts down was well worth it as I haven't had any problems in the yard at all. If you decide to try to repair your current layout or start all over, take your time with the track work. Nothing can be more frustrating than constantly having derailments.

Willie - I can relate to you shuffling buildings around. Did the same thing in that last town. Took forever to finally decide on which build would go where. In the end, it is what it is.

Here's a rail picture for today.

maxresdefault.jpg

Later

Morning fellers. Another day in the suck as a was woke up this morning to a very unhappy wife. Our van won't start. Pour some salt on this one. Add insult to injury my right front hub is locked on the bronco. Don't know how as I cant get it removed. Doesn't help it's in the teens outside. Wife needs the car so I'm down 2 out of 3 vehicles....I do believe I have a dark cloud hovering me this week. Everything has fallen apart this week. Work has been a nightmare too. I blew up a wheel bearing yesterday trying to remove a wheel seal. A first for me. My layout is giving me crap. Now my vehicles and add in the cold....yeah this week sucks and it's not getting any better....

Justin

yay. Amazon has everything......
including recoil spring end caps for the 1911.
About $12 shipped.

Late Good Morning from the leftist country! It is 41 here at the moment and heading up to 82 later on. The FIVE high pressure systems just seem to not want to move away from here. I don't have any news to report on the fires this morning. SIL is still on his boat and family is at his MIL's - have not heard about their status this morning. Take that back - NEWS just reported that the "Thomas" fire was still in full bloom and marching along destroying everything in its path - and that the winds there would be picking up more later today and tomorrow.

CHET - I see that you made a photo of JUSTIN's track work. I can see where he might have a few issues!

Justin - don't give up the ship! I would make a concerted effort to solder rail joints and add additional feeders before I would tear up everything unless you just don't like the track plan or something along those lines. As Garry said, just pick a spot and work slowly along making sure that everything works as you go.
Sorry to hear of you auto problems. A car that won't run is about the worst thing that irks me plus the fact that it always happens just when you need it most. I had just about rather go to the dentist than an auto repair shop!
BTW- How does one "blow up" a wheel bearing?

Frigging ABC news team was touting the fact this morning that Jones won the Senate seat last night and was saying that it is just the first of many more! Commies - All of them!

I had a slight reprieve on the decorations. I only had to take down 13 of the 17 boxes. Today will be eaten up putting outside lights around (thankfully not that many) and putting the tree together - I will leave the remainder to MOH.
Daughter has to be taken to ER for an x-ray of her arm. It is quite painful and doctor thinks she may have a clot? If that won't take up a large part of the day, then she has an appointment for eye test. I have a feeling that MOH will not get much done in the way of decorating today.

yay. Amazon has everything......
including recoil spring end caps for the 1911.
About $12 shipped.

.45's are the shizzle, pure AMERICANA. I'm partial to wheel guns myself but I DO need a 1911 "just because" they are so damned COOL! When I was assigned as a driver I was one of the LAST troops issued the .45. (1988) The 9mm had JUST been issued but the transition took time. Officers and senior NCO's all got the 9's before we lowly privates did.

I swear the one I got was WW2 surplus! It was so shot out I was hitting the target NEXT to mine at 25 FEET. I'm no pistolero but c'mon, that thing was LOOSE! "chikka-chikka-chikka" the slide ROCKED from side to side if ya jiggled it! I ONLY fired it because I knew there was decent medical personnel handy! I really thought it was gonna HURT when I pulled the trigger! It did not kill me and I liked carrying it on field problems. I got it from the Arms room, wrapped it in plastic, taped it and holstered it. Coming back in all I had to do was unwrap it, wipe it down, oil it up and turn it in. I was usually one of the FIRST off base and downtown before the others had cleaned their 16's to the First Shirt's satisfaction! hehehehe

.45's are the shizzle, pure AMERICANA. I'm partial to wheel guns myself but I DO need a 1911 "just because" they are so damned COOL! When I was assigned as a driver I was one of the LAST troops issued the .45. (1988) The 9mm had JUST been issued but the transition took time. Officers and senior NCO's all got the 9's before we lowly privates did.

I swear the one I got was WW2 surplus! It was so shot out I was hitting the target NEXT to mine at 25 FEET. I'm no pistolero but c'mon, that thing was LOOSE! "chikka-chikka-chikka" the slide ROCKED from side to side if ya jiggled it! I ONLY fired it because I knew there was decent medical personnel handy! I really thought it was gonna HURT when I pulled the trigger! It did not kill me and I liked carrying it on field problems. I got it from the Arms room, wrapped it in plastic, taped it and holstered it. Coming back in all I had to do was unwrap it, wipe it down, oil it up and turn it in. I was usually one of the FIRST off base and downtown before the others had cleaned their 16's to the First Shirt's satisfaction! hehehehe

Did you see the pics of it I posted last night?
You'd like this gun. Being brand new it's tight.
While searching for an spring cap, I found they make them in a variety of patterns and ensignia.
I found USAF the Marine corp and Navy. I didn't see any Army but I'd bet they have them.
E

Chet...Your Railroad is such a treat...Amazing seems like a bit of an understatement !!!...There are so many
bits & pieces of visual info & ideas in those videos...I have no doubt I'll watch them several times...My little
layout will eventually have some scenery and if it were 1/100th as nice I'd be thrilled...I'm particularly drawn
to the 'Rock Work' in the Cuts and your 'Trees'...Such valuable food for thought...Trig :)

Chet...Your Railroad is such a treat...Amazing seems like a bit of an understatement !!!...There are so many
bits & pieces of visual info & ideas in those videos...I have no doubt I'll watch them several times...My little
layout will eventually have some scenery and if it were 1/100th as nice I'd be thrilled...I'm particularly drawn
to the 'Rock Work' in the Cuts and your 'Trees'...Such valuable food for thought...Trig :)

Trig, have a look at some of "rock work" pics and stuff in my signature links. Chet sent me his rock face molds to build it myself. It was a mess but since I thought about it long before I started, it went much easier. After all, I had already done it all before in my head so what was the difference? As a former land surveyor in the Appalachian mtns. of western NC I had to build my mountain with lots of steep face.

Dave in Minnesota (I think) has a bunch of how to videos. he used to post here often.
Welcome again to the craft. I used to model in HO and N back when I was a teenager in the 70s but fell away before coming back a few years ago. Some things I had to relearn and some not so much. Lots of new technologies to learn though. DCC for example is now my friend.
E

Terry ... Thanks for the link to Radio Shack tuner cleaner. I see it is in a bottle instead of a spray can, and that is better.

Trig ... Welcome and good to see you . Marklin trains high quality and I bet you enjoy them. My layout is mostly the Burlington Route with nothing more recent than 1962 on the layout. I changed over to DCC with MRC Prodigy Wireless a few years ago and I am pleased with that.

Good evening, Y'all.

Trig: Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Marklin trains are well built, and reliable. Everyone fits in here. I operate a moderate sized switching layout, in DC, loosely following the Reading and Pennsylvania RRs in Southeast Pennsylvania during the 1960s

View attachment 64134View attachment 64133.

The photos are of Dock Tower, in Newark, NJ. Last Interlocking tower on the Northeast Corridor, which closed on 11/11/2017.

Trig, have a look at some of "rock work" pics and stuff in my signature links. Chet sent me his rock face molds to build it myself. It was a mess but since I thought about it long before I started, it went much easier. After all, I had already done it all before in my head so what was the difference? As a former land surveyor in the Appalachian mtns. of western NC I had to build my mountain with lots of steep face.

Dave in Minnesota (I think) has a bunch of how to videos. he used to post here often.
Welcome again to the craft. I used to model in HO and N back when I was a teenager in the 70s but fell away before coming back a few years ago. Some things I had to relearn and some not so much. Lots of new technologies to learn though. DCC for example is now my friend.
E

Thanks Everyone !!!...Great Web Site Eric and I'll look through the 'Rock Work'...But 1st things 1st :)
Tuning & Laying the track, testing all the switches and making sure the power is all AOK !!!...LOL...All
that probably shouldn't take me more than a few months !!!...But I'm in no rush...Trig ;)

Good Afternoon All,

Had my VA appointment this morning and got in to the MD on time. After lunch I finished the water tank project. It isn't my best effort. I'm not happy with the curved appearance of the roof and the base has a slight lean. Oh well it's a lot nicer than the Trainline one it's replacing.

Joe- Nice photos.

Justin- Hopefully your week will get better.

Eric- I guess you never found the part.

Chet- Nice layout pics.

20171213_141513.jpg

20171213_141535.jpg

20171213_141553.jpg

20171213_141629.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well... I took a dive into my former train room to maybe start to get a grip.
I'm not ready for this!!!
Here is what I face:
room-3.jpgroom-2.jpgroom-1.jpg

TRIG -- Welcome to the group. I commented on one of your posts last evening. I am/have been mostly an armchair modeler for many years for many different reasons which I will avoid boring you with for the moment. If you are in "no rush" we will get along just fine.
This is a great group and an outstanding bunch of modelers - hell, they ever tolerate me - and that really says a lot!
Glad to see you in the coffee Shop (aka Jeffrey's Diner). Stay with us .. contribute often ... and laugh with/at us.

Beautiful work Curt!!

And no I never found the part. I keep looking however.
Never give up!!

Curt - That water tower came out fantastic. Nice work. It will be one heck of an addition to your layout.

Trig - Thanks for the comment. The video is a couple of yers old and a lot has been added, but there are others here that have some really nicely detailed layouts.

Eric
- Hope you have a "Pile it" license. You have crap piled all over your layout.

Good afternoon ...

Curt .... Your water tank has become an outstanding model.

Chet ... "Pile it license".... LOL

Willie .... I mentioned my tannery and my Shoe and Boot factory. Actually, I used some buildings I made from European kits, and just called them that. Here they are at the end of a branch line Tannery is the building on the left. Boot factory is on the right. Branch line passenger service is provided with a doodlebug. Freight service is with a GE 44T. Meanwhile, the Empire Builder is rolling along the mainline in front of all of that.

36678492061_5c0531eea5_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back