My ONE and ONLY project ...

Hey there oplholik. Not to hijack Tony's thread, but that manufacturer of plaster structures is Downtown Deco. Easy to make but time consuming to paint. If you have the time to paint them properly, they make great structures. Randy, the owner is a great guy to work with as well.

Willie

Well, we're slowly getting there in terms of "equipment" anyway. This morning I received my Bachmann K4 Pacific and my Micro Train cars:

HrA0mVS.jpg

DcTOE21.jpg

wAHcoSI.jpg

The engine isn't such a great picture but don't want to take them out of the boxes until I am ready for them.

The MT Cars are huge (for N Scale) coming in at 6.5" in length. If I use all of them, I will need 39" of track to sit them on including the K4 Pacific. I can picture this train running the layout already :)

Have begun doing one of the DPM Kits and prepping the MT Undec for painting. I'll post separately in the Scenery and Structure Thread with the builds of the kits etc. It will be one thread named something like Wombat's Kit's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darn, what sort of car do have?

Getting more common Tony, although the can usually be topped up, no dip stick and often no drain plug. They're now only serviceable accurately by a service dept that has fluid temperature detection to ensure the right amount of fluid is in there at a specified oil temp. No more of this DIY rubbish mate. All that's lacking under the hood now is a sign in big red letters telling you "HANDS OFF!!"

It's becoming (if not already) ridiculous! Let's face it, car companies are only interested in two or three things:

1. Anything that "FORCES" a person to keep going back to them so they can make more money off of you,
2. Pandering to the demands of people who can't drive and/or are too lazy to do basic things like check tire pressures, water and oil, and
3. Removing any responsibility from people to focus on the ONLY thing they are behind the wheel to do and that is drive.

Anyway, I'll stick to vehicles I can work on myself or have a REAL mechanic work on and ones that don't tell me what to do or when.

I understand how you feel. We just got this car last month, and it's a change the oil every 10K. I just can't go along with that, old habits die hard I guess.

Yep they do. I use full synthetic in all my vehicles BUT I still service them every 5,000 regardless of what a company tells me or claims.

Anyway, enough about that - back to the thread :)

I see some repainting projects in the future.

I worked up the courage to start painting the undecorated car. This is where I am at as of this post:

HKKlWqi.jpg

This what it will more or less look like when finished:

Yx66OnR.jpg

Not very interesting but both the exterior and interior have been primed ready for the color coat. As soon as I get the paint (Hobby Master Dark Sea Blue) I'll be ready to go. The window area is going to be Hobby Master Aged White. The reason I am using the Hobby Master paints is because they are good and because they are the colors one set of decals are being made for.

Not sure what I am going to do with the interior. My gut tells me to paint the seats etc "leather" and the floors "black" but not sure if I am up to the task.

The decals - well, the guy who said he couldn't print white ended up finding away to make the decals for $20, so I went ahead with him as well as circusdecals. Worse comes to worse, I'll have spares and if what Horseman tells is right (and I don't doubt it isn't) I'll possibly need two decals per side. The cheaper decals should be here by the end of the week and the paint, maybe by Saturday but most likely Monday.

Pretty hard to do the seats and floor different colors Tony. Lots of passengers will deflect any notice of them.

Pretty hard to do the seats and floor different colors Tony. Lots of passengers will deflect any notice of them.

I was looking at that after I posted and agree. Will be easier to "bums on seats" than try to paint them an appropriate color :)

Another thing I have noticed is some of these passenger cars are NOT painted the full length of the car. In some cases, the paint work stops at the end doors. So at the moment I am wondering if I should do the same thing and paint the doors a "wooden color" or something different.

If you're going to paint the bums too Tony, at least, after sitting in seats a while, they'll all be pink.

Not very interesting
I think it is great. The heavy weight cars usually carried a simple and straight forward paint scheme.

Not sure what I am going to do with the interior. My gut tells me to paint the seats etc "leather" and the floors "black" but not sure if I am up to the task.
Seats were often of a material called "mohair" because not only did it look "first class", it was also easy to clean and highly durability. I would guess the most common color used was maroon, but leather color would probably be a close 2nd. The carpet is anyone's guess, but I don't think black. Especially in a model if you want to see the "people" on the inside black would just suck up any light you could get in there. I do know the whole atmosphere of the cars was heavy and dark (they often had mahogany wood work). Unfortunately most of my research for passenger car interiors has been for light weight cars. I've only recently started studying heavyweights.

My mounted people in passenger cars often do not have feet because of the un-scale thickness of the floor and their bottoms have been shaved off to simulate them "sinking" into the seat rather than being perched a top it like a bird on top of it.

The decals - Worse comes to worse, I'll have spares and if what Horseman tells is right (and I don't doubt it isn't).
While I appreciate your faith in me, just remember things change all the time. What I know from yesterday may not be true tomorrow. I (as anyone) can only share my personal experience and hope it helps. And oh by the way, my decal company Rail Graphics (going out of business) sent me all the art work they did through the years, so now I can just send it to a new company should I ever need more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horseman,

Thank you, especially for the info regarding the interiors. I wasn't aware that there was a difference between the interiors of a light weight and a heavy weight car either. The half a dozen Pullman cars I have traveled in (tourist rail) have all been wood finished (interior) with varying types (and therefore colors) of timber.

I was in Hobby Lobby a couple of days ago and did pick up both Model Master Wood and Leather paint for the purpose of doing the interior; however, the leather color has a deep brown look while the wood looks like a light to medium tan and not something that might be seen in a car. It certainly doesn't have that "first class" look about it. You can't really see it all that clearly but the interior is painted the same color as the window paint - Aged White. Your point about the interior light is a good one so I think (at the moment) I will leave the interior as is. The only other option I have (I think) is to fit lighting into the cars and that IS something that I would like to do at some point. Then I don't think the color will matter as much.

I have never used people on a layout before, not sure why, so I am really moving to an unknown area of the hobby. After looking at various makes of "People Sitting" from Noch, Preissler and Model Power - all of the people seem to have longer bottom half legs than will fit on the seats of the Pullman. As you mentioned, when I get which ever ones I do get, I am going to have to cut their legs off or at least shorten them to fit.

This/these cars are my first "serious attempt" at detailing rolling stock so I want to get them as good and as visually realistic as I can possibly get them. In effect, I want this steam train to be the highlight of my trains.

Back