Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Garry - Looks like the station at West Glacier, MT. We do have plenty of bears up here. My neighbor had one going through his garbage cans last year.

Hi Johnny, I don't do any sport talk. I lived in Warroad Mn for 10 years and all they had was hockey. After that I lost all interest.

Chet-- My first thought was Glacier park, I new it wasn't East Glacier because the track would have been on the other side of the depot with the Mountains where they were

Last edited by a moderator:
Garry - Looks like the station at West Glacier, MT. We do have plenty of bears up here. My neighbor had one going through his garbage cans last year.

Chet ..... It looks like Banff. It is on the Rocky Mountaineer Facebook page.

Joe and Dave B ..... Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

Toot ... perhaps, the tourists drop garbage for them to eat.

Could be. The West Glacier station doesn't have the chimney.

600px-West_Glacier,_MT_Amtrak_trackside.jpg

But doesn't look like Banff either.

banff-mt.jpg

Chet ...... The bear photo shows the station has stone half way up on the outer wall, and it has a chimney that looks the same. ... It may be some of the structures at the far end of the station have been removed before the bear photo was taken. . ....

Here's the Banff station at more of a distance.

12_banff5.jpg Looking at the mountains in the background, it very well could be. The photo you posted was apparently taken with a telephoto lens. We went up to Banff a few years ago and drove across Canada Hwy 1 to Revelsroke where we spent the night and visited the railroad museum there. They have an HO scale model of the railroad in Revelstoke in the Museum. Really enjoyed that trip. The highway pretty well runs along Highway 1 and the railfanning was great.

What I really enjoyed was getting back all of the sales tax we spent while visiting Canada when we returned to the states. We showed all of out receipts and got reimbursed. That was hard to take.

Okay - I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines on the baseball talk. Seems there are a lot of folks on the forum talking about their teams. I was raised in NY and as a kid I was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan until they moved to LA in 1958. So I moved all my "fan-ship" to LA teams - Dodgers, Lakers, Rams. So, how 'bout them Dodgers this year - best record in baseball, just ended a 9-game win streak and 53 straight wins in games when they had a lead at any point in the game.
There - got my 2 cents in!! :)

Walter O'Malley would have been proud of you. Seriously, Dem Bums are doing real well this season, even without Kershaw. So is Washington, and Houston (AL), but Dem Bums are on top. Question, watsamatter wid dem Baseball Giants dis yeah? I wish the O's were as good as the Dodgers, but without starting pitchers that can get people out, they are going nowhere.

Beady - No way would I attempt a scratch build of that building. First off, I model a rural area where a grain elevator is usually the tallest structure around. Then, I doubt that I would have the patience to attempt it. It is a beautiful building and it's a shame that it got so run down.

Some of the old Milwaukee Road and Northern Pacific passenger depots have been repurposed and are still in use. The old Northern Pacific depot in Livingston, MT is a railroad museum. The NP station in Missoula id now office space as well as the old Milwaukee Road station in great falls.

NP Missoula.jpg Great Falls, MT.jpg

The Milwaukee Road depot in Butte, MT is the home of KXLF TV.

ajd56961-butte-mt-montana-old-depot-radio-station-the-milwaukee-road-a45fpp.jpg

Years ago passenger trains were probably the best means of long diatance travel until probably the 60;s when the US interstate system was expanding and air travel was becoming more affordable for the general public. We regularly took either the Northern Pacific North Coast Limited ot the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha from Montana to Chicago to connect with the South Shore lines to visit relatives in northern Indiana. I used to love those rail trips.

Hopefully they can also repurpose this building in Detroit.

Thanks for the post.

Beady .... Regarding Michigan Central Station in Detroit, I recall Penn Central had business offices in it in the 1970's. .... On July 4, 1975, the American Freedom Train stooped there (one year early for the Bi-Centenial). I toured the train with family on that day. .... In some of video you can see where tracks head toward the river where the tunnel goes into Windsor, Ontario. ........ I don't see a bright future for Detroit. It will never recover its industrial might. ... Sad. Every sad.

Chet .... Thanks for the photos ... Shelley and I rode the Rocky Mountaineer in 2002. We had the best seats in the train in my opinion. We paid for the premium service called Gold Leaf. We were seated farthest forward in lead dome car and could see over the roofs of the coaches ahead of us. ... I should be able to dig out the photos and post them if you want. .

Afternoon All,

Boys are still here and the youngest has been bouncing off the walls all day. I received my wood order today;) but I ordered the wrong size clapboard (the boards are huge in HO):mad:. I guess I'm making a trip to the LHS tomorrow and hope they have something that will work for me. Fingers crossed. I will probably stop at my buddy Tom's house. He is on the NMRA layout tour this year.

Willie- Nice looking building.

Sherrel- Nice pictures but did you steal my phone for the second picture? Remember when my pictures were loading sideways?

Garry- Great pics.

Johnny- Really nice looking bench work.

Eric- Congrats on being powered by DCC again.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Garry - We may have seen that train somewhere between lake Louise and Revelstoke going through the circular tunnel. There is a pull out on the highway to view the trains at that location. If you have any photos, I'm sure that many will enjoy the fantastic scenery up there.

Dam! I was having a productive day laying track after 2 days of puking my guts out and ran out of roadbed for the yard.
Well, at least the 2 main outer lines are operational now.

That's ok. I already had more roadbed on order plus 3 shaker bottles of medium gray ballast and 3 shakers of green turf.
Dad was here earlier and asked if I was build another mountain like I had before.
To be honest I haven't made up my mind. It was a lot of work but I didn't mind. Makes a helluva mess though!
E

Eric- how about building a valley or ravine and then bridging over it?

Well Curt, I do have the bridge someone sent that I already built.
But I don't squat about building valleys and such.
I wouldn't know where to begin without some serious coaching.
Right now my table is already built. I think it would take some serious [re]construction here and there to build something to accomodate a bridge.
It would be cool however.
E.

E.

Ok here are some pics of what I got done today. One shows before I started. Should be obvious.
Track_8_4_2017_1.jpgTrack_8_4_2017_2.jpgTrack_8_4_2017_before I started.jpg

Well it seems my inner track that I closed today is working just fine. I've had my little Baldwin 4-4 switch doing laps for about the last 30 minutes or so. Narry a problem.

Eric - Happy to see that you got your DCC installed, with some modifications, and that trains are running. Now you have to figure out where you are going to put all the buildings that you have.

One last photo for the day, Happy Trails.

Railroad-Tracks-Sunrise-Landscape-Photography.jpg

Later

Eric .... I am amazed at how quickly you put that track together. ..... Looks like Athearn passenger cars, and that isa good choice for a layout that size.

Chet .... I will post the Rocky Mountaineer photos as soon as I get a chance. .... I like the old Railroad stations. There must have been a contest: The railroad with the tallest clock tower wins !

Curt ... Thanks for the comment.

Back