Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

For those that haven't guessed, the service manager is a former emloyee.
As long as his replacement isn't worse, it can only be good. It would be tough to find a worse one, but I have learned not to say never...

Party Time - cheer.gif waveof7.gif 104.gif appl.gif

For those that haven't guessed, the service manager is a former emloyee.
As long as his replacement isn't worse, it can only be good. It would be tough to find a worse one, but I have learned not to say never...

Oh wonderful news Terry!!! I can uncross my fingers and tie my shoes!!;)

Since I got my notice from the state to get my septic tank pumped out, I did some reading about them. I didn't know there was a filter in them to keep solids from getting to the drain field. If the filter gets clogged, it will cause the tank to back up. Sorta like your sink drains. There are three levels of stuff in the tank. Bottom is the solids, middle is liquid and top is foam scum. There are pipes that extend down into the liquid level, below the scum that lets the liquid drain to the drain field. The filters are in these pipes. Your first sign of problems are air or gas bubbling up through your lawn over the tank. The second sign is soggy lawn over the tank. You have a major problem at that point.
Our first house, we didn't know crap (!) about septic systems. Every few months it would back up into the lawn, just under the livingroom window. Looked like (!) in the winter and smelled like it in the summer. Finally, one of the guys who came to pump us out took a look around and opined that our drain field was higher than the tank outlet.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 57, headed for 83.
Today is the first day I haven't dreaded going to work in several years.
"Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

Actually, I hate that saying, but there are times when it suits the situation perfectly. I think you deserve a trip to your favorite LHS.

Our first house, we didn't know crap (!) about septic systems. Every few months it would back up into the lawn, just under the livingroom window. Looked like (!) in the winter and smelled like it in the summer. Finally, one of the guys who came to pump us out took a look around and opined that our drain field was higher than the tank outlet.

That was a call by the permit inspector when the system was installed. They can't sign off on it until it's in working condition. If the capture tank is lower than the drain field, a second tank has to be installed which includes a lift pump from the first tank and a natural flow to the field. The field has to be established to handle the potential output of the system. They determine that from the perk test prior to building the house.

Ahh... The good old days, when our septic system was a pair of 55 gallon drums in series... Try getting away with that now...

In reality, I shouldn't even admit knowing about it, even though I was 10 at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

Temps in the low 90's here. Only 5 more weeks to our longest season-Hurricane. Today I added the wall trim and put the walls together. Tomorrow I should be able to get the tar paper roof on.

Greg- You were busted! I hate when that happens.

Joe- Thanks for the info on the Metroliners.

Louis- I guess that is good news for the people that eat crab.

20170420_135726_zpsca65rytj.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon Peeps!
I remember how pleased my mom was when dad tore down the outhouse - She said that she hoped to never see one again. However, when we visited my dad;s sisters, that was her only choice! If we even had a septic system - it must have been Terry's two 55 gal drums. (lots of them around the oil field)

Another fine day out here ... I got the "ALL CLEAR" on the colonoscopy ... next one in 3-4 years!

Terry--- Many Blessings to you, my friend. Any chance of you moving into that spot? Seems like you certainly have the talent and knowledge for it?

Ken in VA - Keeping fingers x'ed for the safe return of said kitty kat!

Curt - coming along nicely!

Joe.... Again I appreciate your sharing your insights about Metroliners. Sounds like you do not agree with what I read about them not being reliable. I wondered about that myself because electrical equipment should be reliable.

I recall riding on the PRR between Philadelphia and New York and also Atlantic City when I was a kid in the 1950's. I believe it was 1920's era coaches and GG1's. Our family went to Philadelphia from Chicago and returned on the Broadway limited. ....

I think Walthers had models of the Metroliners, but I'm not sure. I would have paid attention if I modeled that region of the country.

Shares of Railroad stocks are doing well today. CSX is up $3.00 per share right now.

Garry: Keep in mind that my comments are 20-20 hindsight.The Metroliners did have reliability problems, especially during snow storms. And GG1s did have to come to the rescue. But overall the were a reliable transportation system. Business and Government executives found them reliable enough to depend on the Metroliner to get them where they had to be. Senators Bill Roth and Joe Biden were regular daily commuters on # 101 from Wilmington DE to DC, and the train was generally on time. The train was all coach, no Parlor, ran six cars and full, so others found it reliable also. The worst thing about the Metroliner, in my opinion, was that my pass wasn't valid on it. It's also true that there were regularly assigned Mechanical Technicians assigned to these trains, but they were mostly data collectors, who occasionally had to get out at a station, and reset a tripped breaker. There were ride issues, that were never resolved, even in the Cab Car era, and they never attained speed objectives, but that was not due to the equipment.

Everyone has an opinion based on their perception, and much negative has been recorded about the Metroliner. However, the reality was that the Metroliner reversed the decline in business usage of the Northeast Corridor, and made the case for additional investment in Passenger Rail, which didn't please everyone.

Incidently. GG1s were still pulling the same coaches you refer to through the 1980s, and you can still ride to AC from Philly, on a NJT Diesel powered push pull, although that service never took off as expected.

Curt: That's a nice building. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sherrel: Great news on the Colonoscopy.

Good evening gang!

(crickets)

Mighty quiet in here tonight! Flo, can I get a Rootbeer float in a travel mug??:rolleyes:

Garry: Keep in mind that my comments are 20-20 hindsight.The Metroliners did have reliability problems, especially during snow storms. And GG1s did have to come to the rescue. But overall the were a reliable transportation system. Business and Government executives found them reliable enough to depend on the Metroliner to get them where they had to be. Senators Bill Roth and Joe Biden were regular daily commuters on # 101 from Wilmington DE to DC, and the train was generally on time. The train was all coach, no Parlor, ran six cars and full, so others found it reliable also. The worst thing about the Metroliner, in my opinion, was that my pass wasn't valid on it. It's also true that there were regularly assigned Mechanical Technicians assigned to these trains, but they were mostly data collectors, who occasionally had to get out at a station, and reset a tripped breaker. There were ride issues, that were never resolved, even in the Cab Car era, and they never attained speed objectives, but that was not due to the equipment.

Everyone has an opinion based on their perception, and much negative has been recorded about the Metroliner. However, the reality was that the Metroliner reversed the decline in business usage of the Northeast Corridor, and made the case for additional investment in Passenger Rail, which didn't please everyone.

Incidently. GG1s were still pulling the same coaches you refer to through the 1980s, and you can still ride to AC from Philly, on a NJT Diesel powered push pull, although that service never took off as expected.

Joe ... Thank you for further information. Speaking of ride issues, I recall Amfleet cars in the Midwest were a hard ride. They were not as smooth riding as Budd coaches of the 1950's.

Curt .... Your work on the building is outstanding .

Last edited by a moderator:
Orioles win!!!

Wade Miley 8IP 1H 1ER 1BB 11K!!! 6 of those Ks were looking! Miley's season ERA is 1.89

JJ Hardy falls behind 0-2 to a pitcher with a 97mph fastball and battles back to get a RBI single to put the birds on top in the top of the 10th.

The O's are now 10-4 on top of the AL East a half game up on the 10-5 Yankees.

Good night Everybody!!!

Back