Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

Great to see you 113! Try and stop by more often, we miss you!

Speaking of missing, where is Willie?

26 degrees this fine morn. Hope all are staying snugly safe especially E! 500cc's of Rum and Coke STAT!

Good Morning All. A bit cold today at 25°, high yesterday was only 36°. At least I'm not in Montana with Chet! Looking forward to returning to the more normal 60's and 70's this weekend. Took my wife to a doctor appointment and then had an extended lunch (gabfest) with her and one of her old co-workers yesterday, so I didn't get a lot of time with trains. Need to get a bigger heater for the train shed anyway. The one I have is only rated for 240 sq. ft., and it barely maintains 60° when it's this cold. Adequate but not easy to do delicate work. Today is grocery/beer run for much needed supplies; cuts into traintime as well.

Eric - Dang! Watch out.
Bruce - Yeah! Not looking...been there, done that many times! LOL It is a shame about Greg Lake, coming only eight months after Keith Emerson took his own life. Saw them in concert in the early 70's, very dynamic show. They opened for Rod Stewart and the Faces.
Johnny - I use several types of uncoupling (decoupler) devices. I have some of the Kadee track magnets in hard to access places, I have a Rix tool (https://www.walthers.com/rix-sticker-magnetic-uncoupling-tool) and I also use a bamboo skewer. They all have their ups and downs. I do use the HOG (hand of God) method more than any other though.
Chet - Ten miles huh? That's like next door for me; I have to go 25! Each way.
Curt - Layout staring...I have been doing a lot of that lately.
Beady - Ouch!!!
Louis - I'm still here!?! Spent some time earlier this morning editing Wikipedia Rock & Roll pages, another hobby of mine. BTW, I like that Lionel 2016 Christmas car. They always seem to do a good job.
MR113 - Good to hear from you again. Don't be a stranger.

Everyone stay warm and have a great day.

Willie

Good morning everyone. It's 12 degrees here in SW Missouri - Hey Chet - Tell Montana to close the door!!! Won't make it above freezing again today, but the weekend's looking nice. Welcome winter. What, is this our reward for having a long warm autumn?!? Gimme a big mug o' coffee and a couple of jelly doughnuts, please.

Willie - thanks for the info on uncouplers. Others have mentioned the H.O.G. method. You'd think someone would invent a device that really works!! :rolleyes: I need something that will take care of a couple of hard-to-reach places, so I'll probably use the Kadees.

113 - Welcome back - I'm one of the newer guys on this forum (4-5 months) and new to the hobby. But I'm learning a lot from this gang - will look to hear some of your ideas, too.

Well, I went to Home Depot yesterday and lo and behold they had a new shipment in, and I found all the 1X4s I need to finish the current benchwork. Praise the Lord and pass the lumber! Got another 4X8 sheet of sanded plywood - my problem is I only have an SUV and a full sized sheet won't fit, so I have them cut it for me - in this case, just cut it in half short-wise - 4X4 sheets fit perfectly. I also looked over their 2X2s (for legs), cause I'm out of 2X4's to rip on my table saw - man, they could outfit the entire NHL with the hockey sticks they call 2X2s - I complained to the folks there, but fat lot of good that does. So I bought a few 2X4s and will continue ripping them in my shop.

(Man, that coffee went fast - a refill, please.)

MBKlein's owners can probably put their kids through college with the money I've spent there over the past half year. But they've got the best prices on almost everything, good service, fast delivery. Keep finding stuff on their website that I can't do without :) Getting some scenery stuff in - we're getting excited about moving past bench-building and getting into running some trains and beginning the scenery work. Will post more next week.

Gotta run. Like 113 said, "Gotta do something about this annoying thing called work" ;) But, hey - it funds my model rr habit!!
Johnny (Raincoat2)

Good morning. Cold here in SC, 31 degrees. One of our dogs thought it would be a good morning to walk the yard smelling every leaf first thing, BBRRRRRRR!! Hot coffee cures that though. Still rolling track plans around in the old noggin. It's probably a good thing the basement isn't ready for bench work yet!

Good morning everyone. It's 12 degrees here in SW Missouri - Hey Chet - Tell Montana to close the door!!! Won't make it above freezing again today, but the weekend's looking nice. Welcome winter. What, is this our reward for having a long warm autumn?!? Gimme a big mug o' coffee and a couple of jelly doughnuts, please.

Willie - thanks for the info on uncouplers. Others have mentioned the H.O.G. method. You'd think someone would invent a device that really works!! :rolleyes: I need something that will take care of a couple of hard-to-reach places, so I'll probably use the Kadees.

113 - Welcome back - I'm one of the newer guys on this forum (4-5 months) and new to the hobby. But I'm learning a lot from this gang - will look to hear some of your ideas, too.

Well, I went to Home Depot yesterday and lo and behold they had a new shipment in, and I found all the 1X4s I need to finish the current benchwork. Praise the Lord and pass the lumber! Got another 4X8 sheet of sanded plywood - my problem is I only have an SUV and a full sized sheet won't fit, so I have them cut it for me - in this case, just cut it in half short-wise - 4X4 sheets fit perfectly. I also looked over their 2X2s (for legs), cause I'm out of 2X4's to rip on my table saw - man, they could outfit the entire NHL with the hockey sticks they call 2X2s - I complained to the folks there, but fat lot of good that does. So I bought a few 2X4s and will continue ripping them in my shop.

(Man, that coffee went fast - a refill, please.)

MBKlein's owners can probably put their kids through college with the money I've spent there over the past half year. But they've got the best prices on almost everything, good service, fast delivery. Keep finding stuff on their website that I can't do without :) Getting some scenery stuff in - we're getting excited about moving past bench-building and getting into running some trains and beginning the scenery work. Will post more next week.

Gotta run. Like 113 said, "Gotta do something about this annoying thing called work" ;) But, hey - it funds my model rr habit!!
Johnny (Raincoat2)

I just bought more 1x4's and screwed em together to make "2x4's"! It worked great and the continuity of material looks good.

Good morning. Off to a start at 4 above today. Might get up into the 20's this afternoon.

Johnny - You should be thanking us up here. We wore down some of that cold weather before sending it your way. I also contributed to MB Klein. They are probably my number one go to place for model railroad supplies although there are a few others that I will use on occasion. I was hoping to get over to the east coast and possibly pay Louis a visit as well as MB Klein, but things didn't work out.

113 - Nice to see you back to pay us a visit.

Ken - We are pretty sparsely populated up here but in the past few decades a lot of newbies have moved up here and I really have to laugh at them when they complain about the snow and cold. It's a way of life that you accept when you live here. Dress accordingly. I just tell them not to trip over the state line on their way out.

Gotta get a few things done. Later.

Good morning .... MILW 113

Welcome back ...

MILW%20FM_zps3aka5k2p.jpg

Good morning Gents, snowing here and it's actually sticky. Back in GA they would have already sent everyone home. Too funny !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good morning. Off to a start at 4 above today. Might get up into the 20's this afternoon.

Johnny - You should be thanking us up here. We wore down some of that cold weather before sending it your way. I also contributed to MB Klein. They are probably my number one go to place for model railroad supplies although there are a few others that I will use on occasion. I was hoping to get over to the east coast and possibly pay Louis a visit as well as MB Klein, but things didn't work out.

113 - Nice to see you back to pay us a visit.

Ken - We are pretty sparsely populated up here but in the past few decades a lot of newbies have moved up here and I really have to laugh at them when they complain about the snow and cold. It's a way of life that you accept when you live here. Dress accordingly. I just tell them not to trip over the state line on their way out.

Gotta get a few things done. Later.

Chet - When I lived in NY I was part owner of a ski lodge in VT, and I would spend about 1/4 of the year up there. The Vermonters looked at us New Yorkers the way you Montanans must look on the southern newbies who move in :)

Does the MBKlein HQ in MD have a retail or wholesale store onsite where you can walk in and buy stuff? I know Woodland Scenics is located a couple of hours from here, but they don't have a store onsite.

Johnny

Johnny - MB Klien does have a retail space. Louis lives fairly close to them and apparently stops in fairly regularly.

Mornin', gang. Christmas came early, today. My shipment of Jelly Belly jelly beans got here: 4 lbs of 49 flavors, 1/2 lb of Soda Pop and 1/2 lb of retired flavors brought back for the holidays.

Down in the basement, and it may be I'm repeating myself, it turns out that we're *exactly* on the 100 year flood line. This means we must either pay $80 per month in flood insurance or get an Elevation Certificate, which would effectively push back the flood line from our property. To do the latter, we have to pay $300-$600 for a surveyor, hope that he puts us higher than the crest, then challenge the Army Corps of Engineers. Luckily, this is an entirely separate issue from the asbestos abatement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings one and all! Perfect day to be indoors here in central MD, as the wind spews in some of Chet's leftover arctic air.

MILW - Good to see you back here, don't be a stranger!

I see that Louis has already posted tributes to John Glenn and Greg Lake, so no need to repeat that.

Eric - I hope today will be less "exciting" than it was for you yesterday!

As I mentioned in yesterday's late night post, for my Stewart F7 headlight upgrade project I borrowed a tool that increased my productivity 20-fold - a 3/16" hole puncher: http://ironbelt.net/images/misc/002_HolePuncher.jpg

This allows me to punch out discs that fit perfectly inside the headlight cavity on a Stewart F-unit.

Instead of painting white sheet styrene to block the light from the LED, I grabbed a sheet of black .040" styrene from my scrapbox and used that. Before I could start cutting out discs however, I needed to make a drilling template to guarantee that the holes would always be the same distance apart:

001_LensDrillTemplate.jpg

003_DrillingLensHoles.jpg

...then, I just align the two holes in the center of the puncher...

004_LiningUpThePuncher.jpg

and VOILA, we have a headlight disc! I also popped out some "glass" headlight covers using clear styrene:

006_LensFiltersAndGlassCovers.jpg

I made a lot more than the ones pictured above, those are just for my own F-units.

This next image shows how perfectly they fit in the headlight cavity:

007_LensFilterFittedIntoHeadlightHole.jpg

Now I just need to go thru and fit these things into each of my F7A's. More about that later...

Afternoon All,

I fixed the end of the station today and reduced the size of the covered platform by 2/3. Tomorrow is when I'm going over to Mom and Dad's to watch the game. GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY. MOH made us a small lasagna for me take with me.:)

I saw a video last night of the CP Christmas Train. Pretty darn cool.

Chet- Stay warm. It's not fun being a popsicle.

Milw113- It's good to see you in the coffee shop again.

Justin- Pretty funny but it does have a grain of truth in it.

Ken- Excellent work.

Louis- Great videos.

Johnny- I do have homemade decouplers that I made from super magnets. Sometimes they work well and sometimes not so much. I used 4 per decoupler because 2 were not strong enough. If you do something like this do not paint them (they won't work) and make sure all 4 magnets are oriented in the same +/- direction. I think the biggest issues is the narrow "window" that the couplers need to be in to work. I mounted them after the ballast was dry. Also the coupler glad hands can not be trimmed.

20161209_104607_zpstlrkbwiu.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Cheers lads!
Always a bl**dy nice place to be at!
Try pop in more often, regularly, even with this madness going on at work, think it's called christmas or something....we're being run off our feet....another three weeks and it'll go back to normal, or maybe I should say normal-ish! lol

Anyone's up for a refill?

Thought that I'd post this one that I bought....photo is by Mike Cleary and it's Milwaukee Road's enginehouse at Green Bay, WI, in May '79!

IMG_20161209_235935.jpg

Back