Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

Good evening. This is my fourth attempt to post this reply, SWMBO got home early and the diversions were many...

Annual depression kicking in, gonna chill on posting too much. Not as bad as years past, but noticeable. ...
Bruce - sounds like Seasonal Affective Disorder, caused by not getting enough sunlight. I suffer from it myself. It's one of the reasons I often don't get much of anything done on my layout during the prime mrr season, I simply don't have the energy...

Eric - glad your back in your [almost] native environment. Did they have to interrupt the chemo because of the feeding tube accident? Hopefully they'll get that going again soon.

Ken, let me know when you get that perfected. I have a Stewart F3 I could use a sealed beam conversion kit for.
Terry, my main challenge now is getting access to a hole puncher of the same diameter as the headlight shaft. Trying to cut out that disc with a pair of Swiss Army knife scissors, like I did with this one, is way too time consuming. I also need to punch out the "glass" covers too. I'll definitely make several extras once I get the right tools.

... Ken - ... I like your headlight project. Hope you can get it completed soon. I have a couple of older locomotives that I would like to do the same thing to. ...
Chet, thanks for the kind words! I'm gonna swing by my friend's house on Thursday evening and get that hole puncher; hopefully that will speed things along.

Ken .... I have attempted a similar headlight modification in my four Proto 2000 CB&Q E7's ..... The two beams in the lower headlight housing have light which blends together in the picture, but it is two beams of light. ... The upper two lights, red and clear, are controlled with functions of the decoder. ...

E79921AHL1_zpsb464bd29.jpg
Wow Garry, your work is totally awesome! Luckily I don't need to worry about mars lights or anything like that, I wouldn't have the patience!

Ken- Interesting project. Bachmann uses that type of headlight display on their PRR FA2. If you look on their schematics (online) you can get that part number and try to order them from them. They couldn't be that much and it might save your sanity. Just a thought. ...
Thanks for the tip Curt, I'll look into that... Could be a game-changer! BTW Your loco terminal photo looks quite "real", that's what I hope to achieve on mine one of these years.

Terry, thanks for explaining the difference of the light and heavy cruisers. Been watching on the phone as usual buy hate pecking to make a post. I have the Navsourse web site bookmarked.

Catch you tomorrow.

Morning gents,
Clear here with 29 feels like 22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup, the seasonal whatchacallit combined with the thinning crowd makes the holidays not as much fun as they yousta be.

A little Mowtown and running the trains was/is good therapy, I was born in Detroit and can sing back up on just about any Mowtown record!

Putting the little energy I can muster into next years redesign, dumm dummy that I am I saw instantly AFTER I put the line slips in AND the yard that if I had inverted the line slips the yard would have fit quite perfectly inside it and my traffic troubles would not even be. I never wondered why I made this track temporary, I'm a little slow sometimes and must take that into account when planning my no plan, plan.

Years of brain cell genocide and several closed head injuries don't go well together.

Cold and bla up here but all a y'all have a great day!

Oh and btw: i never did get released yesterday. When two beauracracies try to get something [good] done, stand back and watch NOTHING happen!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good Morning Everyone. It's 32 and mostly cloudy here. Frost everywhere. Minor cold front tomorrow then back to the 60's by Sunday. Coffee Shop is busy this morning , good to see everyone.
Let's all take a minute to remember that today is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Give thanks to all of those brave servicemen who gave their lives, and those that came home for the country as we know it today.
In the train shed, I continued cleaning and organizing. Got the benchwork lumber cut and I'll start assembling today.
Johnny - Wondered where you were. Glad that you enjoyed the concert. Benchwork looks good, it's coming along nicely. Train room is just too clean though!!!
Chet - I hear you on the automobiles. I remember when air cleaners were attached with a single wing-nut. I'm sure your shop is full of those models. Thanks for the recollections regarding the "Chester". My late dad was still in high school so I don't have those memories. Good looking F-unit.
Sherrel - "Only three years behind"? That's too bad, as you will be forever audited and hassled. Especially in a bureaucrat-heavy state like CA where they all have to get paid somehow! Terry's wife is a good example of their misguided enthusiasm.
Justin - A small step... good for you.
William - Welcome back to the Coffee Shop. Thanks for the update on Carey. We've missed him as well.
Bruce - Do-overs are an integral part of this hobby. That's why my first three layouts were attached with screws instead of being fastened down by nails as I do now.
Eric - Sounds like there is still light at the end of the tunnel. You're absolutely correct about two bureaucracies though.

Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Bummer, After that pic you posted we might have to call you "E bone"! Eat a sandwich man! You scaring me with that Ethiopian look!

Mmm, getting out can be problematic, tests and paperwork, they get to go home at night so they don't care.

I'm getting the arm shin splints again and went online to see they have admitted they sprayed the Korean D.M.Z. with Agent Orange in 1968-71 I gotta call "B.S." on that!!! Musta been GOOD stuff as the weeds had not grown back when I was there in the 80's! I did not give it a taste test but there were dudes all over with back pack sprayers and the weeds died after they had been there! I'm thinking it was not your regular ORTHO weed-be-gone from the local nursery they were spraying! Typical, they will wait until we are mostly all dead before any compensation comes our way.

Good morning from SW MO. 29 and expecting snow flurries this afternoon. Better get a BIG cuppa coffee this morning, and a couple of jelly doughnuts!

Terry - Wow - what scenery! We lived in Spain for the better part of 13 years, and got to travel throughout western Europe, but only went by rail a few times, including an overnighter to Lisbon. Europe has lots of historical stuff to see; Asia and Africa seem to have mountains and wildlife in abundance, Latin America (we lived in Ecuador and Costa Rica for a year each) has the volcanoes and jungles; but the USA has such a wide variety of natural beauty - I haven't seen half of what I want to here in our own country. Got to plan some rail trips!

Willie - I inherited some sort of clean-freak-ness from my mom. But you oughta see my woodworking shop (out in the separate garage) -so much sawdust you leave footprints everywhere!! The train layout will not be anything near what you and many others out there have - but it's our first build, and we're leaving a couple of spots where we could expand later on - but we'll still be rather limited by the room.

Talk with you all more later.
Johnny

Good morning fellers. I'm on day two of the war with the strobes. I pulled the shell on my Blue Box U-boat which doesn't flicker and the the shell off of my RTR GP40 which is a strobe. Trying to notice anything inconsistent on them. One thing is for sure I have clips which appear to be starting to tarnish. I have the leads soldered to my pickups on the U-boat. Not to mention the RTR has really really small wires for current pickup. They both have the same boards on them. With the RTRs only strobing on my straight sections it makes me curious. Blue Box has a nice constant light to it.
cf5dbecbd5770bbf0fab477ec42bd0dd.jpg

26e74b45ee01de0013282f88841d1d52.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning. Minus 11 , feels like - - - cold.

Terry - Thanks for the photo. Let's remember the folks that fought for our country starting on that day. There's not many left no that are still with us. Thanks for clearing up the light and heavy cruiser question last night. Didn't want to have to turn on the 'puter and I hate trying on a phone. I think some of the stories tha my father told about being in the Navy is what made me choose to also join the Navy. My choice was of course destroyers and being stuck on a cruiser, a converted WWII one to boot is what probably kept me from making it a career. I had passed the test for Chief but didn't have the obligated time in service left. That dangled the chief hat under my nose but not returning me to the destroyer Navy took care of that.

Eric - Sorry to hear that you weren't released yesterday. Would a get out of jail free card help? Hope you get out soon.

Willie - Hopefully you'll get some bench work done today. Sounds like more of a project than you originally planned on.

William (L&N castle) Thanks for the update on Carey. I always enjoyed his posts and miss him on the forum.

Guess I should do something whether it's right or not. Later.

I was watching the first part of a nature Doco tonight, "Wild New Zealand". This one concentrated on the lower part of the South Island that backs onto the "Roaring Forties" and up around to the lower west coast Fjords and Southern Alps. Narrated by Sam Neil, an NZ actor, who has appeared in some US films. Some unique and very adaptable wild life. One of note is a Weta (you may remember me posting pics of similar North Island ones, a largish Cricket type insect). This one lives up in the winter frozen climes and can stand having 80% of it's body frozen for long periods, but quickly recovers in a thaw. Some great photography of the Southern Lights, "Aurora Australis" and some amazing Glowworms, that dangle strings of sticky beads to catch prey, and to attract them use a strange system that looks like moving Christmas lights along the strings of beads. Hundreds in one place. Spectacular.

Good morning .

A moment of silence in remembrance of Pearl harbor Day.

..... and as always, a BIG Thanks to Veterans for serving.

Ken in MD ... Thanks for commenting on my E7 headlights.... I should do the same for all of my F's and E's, but it is too time consuming.

Chet ..... I like your Genesis NP F9 .... I have a Genesis CB&Q F3A and F3B. The red light is a nice feature, but it is not exactly what the CB&Q did.

Chessie, Justin, mate, you've still got the DC boards in that 9 pin adapter, take them out. What DCC decoders have you got in there again? and why are they not plugged in either in place of that 9 pin or into the 8 pin socket alternatively?

Justin, I'm logging off now ,it's near 1 AM. Don't do anything else till Terry has a look, please.

Back