Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

Well Gents, it appears that I am going home tomorrow morning. Since all nutrition is currently by IV and TPN, they also had to setup traveling nurses who can handle using the port. I imagine most all of them these days can. The tell me I should be out of here by noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well Gents, it appears that I am going home tomorrow morning. Since all nutrition is currently by IV and TPN, they also had to setup traveling nurses who can handle using the port. I imagine most all of them these days can. The tell me I should be out of here by noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's good news. Pick a pretty nurse to travel with you... :)

Good morning Everybody!

Congratulations E!

Sherrel you can always restore the laptop to factory default. You will lose any thing you have saved, but it should straighten up the mess. Another option would be an "el cheapo" thing just to surf the net and use the forums. You can buy them all day for under $200.

Now for something completely different, (is that the quote Terry?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7wRvIXQX80

Have a great day Everybody!

PS forgive me for not commenting to Everyone individually, but I just don't have much time.

God Bless Us Everyone!

One last thing;
Happy Saint Nicholas Day!
15356546_1383574781653630_6539573239301934369_n.jpg

Sherrel, after much trial and error, I found a Dell 15-5000 touch screen laptop that works like I think a laptop should. I generally only use it to play train simulator on, and some other Windows-only applications, but it's fast, doesn't crash or auto-restore like yours, has good battery life, and was about a quarter the cost of the other one I sent you the link for. Best Buy should have those, as well.
As for the expense of an apple computer, we decided the much lower stress level that resulted from using one offset the higher initial cost. We've had my wife's for three years now, with zero problems, and zero trips to the geeks. I've had them and used them more and more since Vista came out. The initial learning curve takes about a week of figuring out how to make it do what you want it to, in many cases, it is much simpler than what you have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. 38*F and calm in central MD, with T-storms later.

Eric - great to see you're finally getting out of that hellhole!

Chet - I hear ya on that the auto design engineers should be made to repair their own vehicles before having them put on the market. My 21yr-old daughter's fiancee had a recent-model Cadillac given to him by his grandfather. Great, except for one thing: one of the headlights was burned out. Dealers would charge him ~$800 to fix it because of all the labor involved. As a full-time college student he doesn't have that kind of money. Finally he found a friend in his home state (WI) who could fix it for a reasonable price over Christmas break - problem solved. [Then a week after he returned to school the other headlight burned out!]

Sherrell - I too am most likely gonna get a mac as my next 'puter. I'm tired of Microsoft trying to run my life.

Like Louis, I don't really have time to greet every one of you - gotta leave for work in ~20 minutes.

Here's what I was messing around with last night: Trying to make a "lens" for my Stewart F unit headlights so they won't look like an 18" diameter searchlight in photographs. This is only a proof-of-concept and rather crude, I'll need to borrow some hole-punchers and other specialty tools from a local friend who has a lot of those.

F7_HeadlightLens.jpg

F7_HeadlightExperiment.jpg

If I had the money to replace these with Genesis models I'd have done so long ago. But even then, I'd want to keep these things because they run like swiss watches and pull like tanks.

L8TR

Ken, let me know when you get that perfected. I have a Stewart F3 I could use a sealed beam conversion kit for.

Annual depression kicking in, gonna chill on posting too much. Not as bad as years past, but noticeable.

Still trying to find the right box to send this Riv to ya Gomez, I will be tossing in a couple things I want to pass along and you seem to have connections and will know where they can do the most good.

Excellent progress report E! Good to hear.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning All. A balmy 49° and mostly cloudy here this morning. Remnants of a fog are still lingering. Looks like a couple of nice days before the next cold front hits us on Thursday.
Spent a lot of time in the train shed clearing off and removing a temporary storage shelf and moving lumber scraps out of the way; for the next (and final) stage of benchwork construction. The rain has stopped for a few days, so I can get the sawhorses out and commence construction. I do this type of work in the yard, as it is closer than the barn. Besides which, I removed the breaker box from the barn to use in the train shed as the barn will be de-constructed in a few years. During rest breaks, I added graffiti decals to a couple of cars and ran trains.

Chet - Those trees look like they have been there for years. Looks good. Maybe a few more shorter ones to compliment the scene.
Terry - It never ends! Love the video, Michelle was really hot back when I was a teen!
Sherrel - Thanks for the encouragement. Now if I could just funnel some of my enthusiasm toward scenery building, I would be in great shape. Although I did finally make about a dozen trees last week!!!
On another note, I saw this morning that the Sioux leaders were telling all of the "vacationing" protesters to go home.
Ken (D&J) - Good luck with the video editor. I have always enjoyed your videos on your build thread.
Eric - Good news to some extent. Have you been able to continue the chemo through all of the other ups and downs? It seemed to be having some positive results at the last chemo update. I recommend taking Terry's advice and pick a pretty nurse and not a wanna-be NFL linebacker!!! LOL

Wonder where Johnny is? He had become a regular visitor and I miss his new construction updates. Also wish that Corey would drop by and give us an update on his life.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Annual depression kicking in, gonna chill on posting too much. Not as bad as years past, but noticeable.

I just listen to some loud rock and roll music and run some trains, always seems to get me out of a funk. Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin...

Willie

Good morning from SW Missouri. 37 this morning, and snow flurries predicted tomorrow. Down to 12 Thursday night. Hey Chet: tell Montana to take this weather back! :)

I'll catch up on all the posts later on - right now, just wanted to check in. Been gone since last Thursday. My wife and I drove to Tulsa, OK for a Christmas concert - Michael W. Smith, Amy Grant, and the Tulsa Symphony. They were joined by Jordan Smith, the guy who won The Voice competition last season. Great concert - lots of traditional Christmas songs plus some contemporary ones. Then we took time for some Christmas shopping.

Here's the latest photo from our current build. The long run on the left is now 24 feet. Will come on 4 feet more and then we have to turn to the right (in the photo). I moved all front legs in 7 inches (still have to do that to the first piece, in the upper right of the photo). Also have to brace the piece closest to you in the photo. The benchwork will come out to the first post, then a peninsula to that second post (toward the back of the photo).

See ya later.
Johnny (Raincoat2)

TERRY, KEN, LOUIS, et-all. Thanks for all the suggestions. Never give up the ship! .. Fly the damn thing right into the crash! LOL. I remember the old Lockeed Loadstar that I was privileged to be co-pilot on prior to the airlines. The Captain always told me that it had good single engine capibility ... It had just enough power to fly you to the crash site! It was a grand machine even if it did look like a pregnant whale.

Gentlemen, all suggestions are being considered. Afraid if I go back to factory settings that it will revert to Win8 in which case I would look for the nearest sledge hammer - wouldn't mar my baseball bat!

I think the way to go is for me to take over the MAC from wife - and get her the mac air that Terry mentioned. Then she can write it off, and she would love it.

Busy at the moment trying to get Franchise Tax people off my back and get caught up on all tax returns.

Good morning all. Minus 5 with some light snow this morning.

Ken - Nothing is simple on cars today. That's why I like restoring older cars. It was a real pain doing it outside in the dark and cold last night. My shop is so crowded that I barely had room to get the skid steer in and close the doors. Too many "simple" projects out there. I think manufactures do this on purpose to generate business for the dealership service departments. I have a number of friends who work for independent shops and it cost them a small fortune to but the equipment necessary to work on new cars let alone the time they spend in training.

I like your headlight project. Hope you can get it completed soon. I have a couple of older locomotives that I would like to do the same thing to.

Willie - Waiting to see the final bench work. It's probably more work to make room for construction than building the bench work. I do have more trees to go in on the hill behind the roundhouse as well as on other parts of the layout. Just have too much going on this time of year keeping me out of the train room.

Eric - Hope you are getting comfortable at home when you read this mornings posts. Best of luck. The nurse is probably safe with all of the tubes and other things attached to you. Can't move too fast with them hanging around.

Catch you later.

Just can't figure out why they have their panties in a bunch? I'm only three years behind .. There are 24 million plus people in this state .. Why can't they just leave me be. All their gonna get is a late filing fee!

Back