Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

Lloyd,

Wow, nice work on the drapes and room interior!

The drapes I'm assuming are attached to the inside of the windows. The part I can't figure out is how you installed the room interior. In the photos it's out of focus which implies it's not up against the window.

Can you give us more detail on how you installed the interior scene?

Thanks,

Jon...

Thanks Jon,

Yes the drapes are against the window. As for the room background, it is curved inside. It goes from corner to corner but in the middle it's 1 1/2" away from the window, it's like a "C" shape. Hope it makes sense.

View attachment 63166

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone, missed me?

Lest We Forget. As we reflect this Remembrance Day in Canada, and Veteran’s Day in the U.S.

Been a while, but not much to report. Since my last post, I went on vacation for 2 weeks and the week prior and after the vacation, nothing was done on the layout, therefore there wasn’t much to report.

I’ve had my first visitors to my layout and it was a pleasant experience. The first visit was from a group of four that visited Ottawa and on the way back they stop by for a good 2 hours. It’s always good to have different opinions, it’s part of the learning process. Then last week, I had another visitor for another two hours, again with a vast knowledge, this time in electronics.

As for the construction, I’m still working on my work bench. All my gyprock is installed, plaster is almost done and then the paint. My programming track is finish, I just need to install a switch to turn it off the main layout.

View attachment 63811

View attachment 63810

I’ve also continued installing Masonite for the backdrops, painted a few tracks and still doing some wiring.

View attachment 63813
View attachment 63812

For the rest of the year, my main goal is to have all my tracks wired and bench work area completed. I also would like to come to a decision about my 22 control panels. Will I put them on the fascia or the face of the valance (you would need to be 4 ½’ tall to reach).

Later

Lloyd - Absolutely love the work bench. It looks great and gives you room to work on (and lose) numerous projects at once.
We all missed you, but I also understand taking time off. If one works on the layout 8+ hours every day, it just becomes another job!

Willie

Regarding control panels, flyboy hit it on the nail. Not necessarily simplify, but reduce the wiring. Although I like the idea of having it at eye level. On the fascia, they might need to be recessed as well.

Willie

Thank you both for your replies.

It wouldn't be that much more wiring. A panel is a panel. My system is NCE, I'm using push buttons and NCE has a push button board which I would put right behind the panel. Then from the board, only 3 wires will drop down to the MK8 under the layout for my tortoises. Both can handle 8 push button and 8 tortoises. Therefore the extra wiring would be 3 wires about 5' between the two boards.

Hope what I said makes any sense!!!

Thanks Jon,

Yes the drapes are against the window. As for the room background, it is curved inside. It goes from corner to corner but in the middle it's 1 1/2" away from the window, it's like a "C" shape. Hope it makes sense.

View attachment 63166

Lloyd,

I just realized I never thanked you for posting the above info on how you did the interior scene. So thank you, the photo really helped put it all into perspective.

Also, good to see you back. Nice work on the Masonite for the backdrops. Very clean and professional looking. And good to hear you had some visitors.

Jon...

Thanks Gregg

Thanks Jon, It sure is fun when you can talk face to face and get answers to your questions right of way instead of waiting for them on forums.

While I keep working on my wiring, here's a look at one section of my layout

View attachment 63869

Later

Looking good, fascia certainly looks fantastic. How the heck did you end up with 22 control panels? Perhaps many interconnect and do the same function? Control panel is on my bucket list.

Well looking at page 1 with your track plan and the way it is setup I can now see how there are so many control panels. Basically break them down per area and where possible condense a couple areas. I would imagine your already broken into blocks/ districts so that would help.

Back