Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

It's finally here.
I can run my trains non stop around the entire layout.
I still have to do lots of wiring, but I can stop and watch trains run for 1/2 hour.

Here's a video of my first full run....enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lloyd,

Congratulations on reaching a milestone in your layout !!!!!

Thanks for taking us for a ride around the layout. It looks even larger from that perspective than it looked in the photos you have posted. It's HUGE!

You have a lot of rolling stock. And having the rolling stock and some structures on the track during the ride around the track really helped put things into perspective.

Good job,

Jon...

Nice ride ! enjoyed the trip. Now I can see progress slowing a tad. You'll spend s bit of time running trains.

Thanks for posting.

WOW -- that's quite a ride just to complete one lap!
You have to be feeling pretty good about that?
Congratulations!

Awesome that your able to do a complete run. What a great feeling of accomplishment for you. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lloyd,

Congratulations on reaching a milestone in your layout !!!!!

Thanks for taking us for a ride around the layout. It looks even larger from that perspective than it looked in the photos you have posted. It's HUGE!

You have a lot of rolling stock. And having the rolling stock and some structures on the track during the ride around the track really helped put things into perspective.

Good job,

Jon...

Thanks Jon, I needed to put some rolling stock and industries on the layout, it gave me some incentive to keep going forward

Awesome ride, looks great! Thanks

Thanks Edsland

Nice ride ! enjoyed the trip. Now I can see progress slowing a tad. You'll spend s bit of time running trains.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks Chet, lol, that's what I did today, ran some trains frontward, backward for 5-10 laps, to see if I had any flaws......and I don't...woohoo, but I do have lots of wiring to do.

WOW -- that's quite a ride just to complete one lap!
You have to be feeling pretty good about that?
Congratulations!

Thanks Sherrel, You're right, it's quite a ride, I set up my NCE to notch 8 and just watched it go around and it took 4.5 minutes for a lap

Awesome that your able to do a complete run. What a great feeling of accomplishment for you. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks Odyknuck, still lots to do.

Morning:

Glad everyone is fine this morning.

Home from the woods...time to take some photos of my "wiring".

Chet: This weekend at the cabin I needed heat on one morning to take the chill out of the air and then A/C in the afternoon to cool things off.

You guys are correct about color coding the wiring which is something i started but didn't follow through all the way. Lucky I can unplug power sources and test the wiring by following the "hot" wires to solve any problems. My freight yard extension will be color coded for sure.

That's all for now.

Greg

Hey Horseman,

Not yet, the little people will have to wait cause I want more wiring to be done so I can have a nice flow to the run.

Lately I've been working on more industry layouts.

My box car distribution center

View attachment 63017

My lumber area, sawmill and distribution center

View attachment 63015View attachment 63016

My town of Hawkesbury, just about 18 buildings to build.

View attachment 63018

More wiring, container area is now gone and in it's place is now a 6 track yard for St-Eugene.
Even if it's summer (well almost over), I'm still hard at work on my layout.

Later

PS. For those interested, there will be a live show (also recorded) on the operations of my layout. The person that designed my layout will explain how he sees OP sessions. It will be live on YouTube, will let you know when and where.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lloyd,

Enjoyed the train ride! Can't wait to see how things move along from here! Looking forward to more posts.

Carl

Inspiring progress as usual Lloyd! I am looking forward to seeing your town develop ( i really like urban scenes).

Thanks for posting.
Yannis

Thanks for the update Lloyd. Wondering what you were up to. Looks like you'll be building some kits. Don't go blind painting the windows. They had me just about goofy by the time I finished the last town on my layout. I'll be waiting for the YouTube info.

Lloyd,

Congradulations on the first full run mate; however, I did pick up 3 fairly serious problems with it -

1. WAY too much track,
2. WAY too many trains

and the most serious of all ...

3. WAY TOO MUCH FUN!

Mate, the ride was awesome and shows just how much work has gone into the layout. This is the first time I have fully comprehended the length and variety of the build. It truely is a massive feat sir and is looking brilliant. Well done mate!

Lloyd,
Enjoyed the train ride! Can't wait to see how things move along from here! Looking forward to more posts.
Carl

Thanks Carl

Inspiring progress as usual Lloyd! I am looking forward to seeing your town develop ( i really like urban scenes).
Thanks for posting.
Yannis

Hey Yannis, there's 2 towns, in the picture it's the biggest of the 2. It might take a while before it's all done, but will keep you posted, Thanks.

Thanks for the update Lloyd. Wondering what you were up to. Looks like you'll be building some kits. Don't go blind painting the windows. They had me just about goofy by the time I finished the last town on my layout. I'll be waiting for the YouTube info.

Hey Chet, Thanks. I haven't posted much lately because all my time is dedicated to the layout. No worries, I won't be painting the windows, but will be painting the frames....lol. All those buildings will keep me up late, you know...... building, painting, weathering, lights and inside images. I'll post the link as soon as I know.

Lloyd,
Congratulations on the first full run mate; however, I did pick up 3 fairly serious problems with it -
1. WAY too much track,
2. WAY too many trains
and the most serious of all ...
3. WAY TOO MUCH FUN!
Mate, the ride was awesome and shows just how much work has gone into the layout. This is the first time I have fully comprehended the length and variety of the build. It truly is a massive feat sir and is looking brilliant. Well done mate!

Thanks Tony and glad to see you back in the hobby.
1. too much track......nah, just 1,100 feet of it
2. too many trains..... nah never enough for the size
3. way to much fun....I totally agree
More to come, but much later. will be gone for two weeks for a well deserved vacation....Geee what am I going to do without trains for two weeks...lol

Later

Since my last post, I’ve been working on different things.

I managed to close off my work bench from the layout area. On the left where the small box is, that will be the dispatcher area (in 3-4 years from now). I also have my programming track which is fed from the layout. During an operation session, 5 cars will be brought into the workshop for weathering, adding weight, couplers and wheels checkup. With the number of cars, this should take me about 2-3 years to complete the roster. The drawers under the paint brushes in the right corner, will be for storing my rolling stock that needs work.

View attachment 63157

View attachment 63158

I’ve also finished the valance along the entire layout. I now need to install the top portion and it will be ready for paint and RGB Led strips to be installed.

View attachment 63159

The container yard has been totally removed to make way for another yard, the St-Eugene yard. The main reason for the removal was that it wasn’t the right era for the intermodal.

View attachment 63160

I started work on one of the DPM buildings (M.T. Arms Hotel). You all know that I like details, well I decided that the hotel would have drapes, lighting, signs and people. It sure helps knowing a bit of Photoshop since I had to find a hotel room backdrop, drapes and carpet. The image of the drapes is from a picture at IKA…lol. They needed modification since I wanted, open, semi open and closed drapes. The carpet is needed since the backdrop of the room would be in a curve to show depth, therefore the need for carpet. As for the room backdrop, it was hard to find the right one to fit the hotel. Once I found it, I had to do lots of Phototshop, such as erasing the existing carpet to match the other, shrink the bed because it was to big (it looked like a 16’ bed) and do touch ups around the bed, couch and other furniture.

It's a lot of work, but all those little things makes it worth it at the end, besides, only 4 rooms out of 9 will have drapes open or semi open.

View attachment 63161

View attachment 63162

View attachment 63163

View attachment 63164

That's it for now
Later

Lloyd, nice detail on the curtains. First time I've seen your layout....very nice! The sawmill scene will be cool....I'm in the process of modeling a logging RR. Nice work, look forward to seeing more......

Back