Weekend Photo Fun 9-27 thru 10-3

dieselfan1

This thread is gaining some momentum every week lately. Very cool.
This week I dug up an oldie from my old layout HPIM0839.jpg

Don't forget to vote on the photo of the month in the contest threads

It is not of my layout but I love both trains and cars. While I was taking pictures of my car this happened. It was like perfect timing.

IMG_8508.jpg

I took this photo last year, when the 765 Berkshire came through Altoona.This was the first time I,d seen one of the NS heritage locos in the flesh.It just goes to prove, that not all locos need to be weathered !!!!

Ron

Attachments

• NS8100.jpg
    NS8100.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 291
As long as we are sharing photos of our chase vehicles...

My current chase rig: 1985 diesel suburban, 5 speed manual- Chased the NKP 756 in PA. Makes a great platform with its large, load-bearing roof. Seen here down low in Horseshoe Curve this May waiting on the 756. (I was running with a DVD production team, the DVD should be released... soon?) And yes, that's my ugly mug by the hood, wearing the UP Steam Team hat... :)

20130526_115204_zps0824ad4c.jpg

My old rig: (now my wife's grocery-getter/kid hauler...) 2007 Chevy Trailblazer (4x4) Seen here in the middle of chasing UP 844 in and out of Texas, May 2010. This is one of my favorite shots of all time:

DSC06711.jpg

I took this photo last year, when the 765 Berkshire came through Altoona.This was the first time I,d seen one of the NS heritage locos in the flesh.It just goes to prove, that not all locos need to be weathered !!!!

Ron

Ron .. Glad to see you caught this ... That is a good looking paint.

001.jpg

an 0-4-0 shoves a loaded hopper toward the life under the coaling tower.

Click the image to make it bigger!

I made a spot to set up my photo equipment permanently (well...semi-permanently :eek:) and have a few:

First is the 4-8-4 that came to me in a box containing three of this model all in pieces. The one I was discussing over on the recently closed coffee shop; here she is. I chose this number as it was the last steamer to run in revenue service on the Santa Fe:
4-8-4-3780_zpsf65ae0b7.jpg

Runs very well.

The next project will be two 4-8-0's, one for me, one for a customer. I'm going to try it this way so I get more done for myself! First one is the customers, a GN 4-8-0 to be painted in the Glacier Green scheme with added/changed detailing.

G-3side_zpse36cdd43.jpg

and mine, and SP TW-8 4-8-0. Basic black & graphite for this one. The re-motor and DCC work are already done.

TW-8Side_zps4efbfea7.jpg

And something a little different: Craftsman kits! Here's Foscale Model's Jimmy Dee's Topless Bar & Grill. It was a bit of a job, but fun and great for that wrong side of the tracks area.

JimmyDees1_zps3bb797af.jpg

JimmyDees2_zps04f97291.jpg

Here it is out of the box:

JimmyDees3_zpsf2a12a3b.jpg

Back to the workbench now. Lots of cleaning up to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 39536

an 0-4-0 shoves a loaded hopper toward the life under the coaling tower.

Click the image to make it bigger!

HA! I knew it Karl. I thought FOR SURE that B&O switcher in September Model Railroader looked like yours.. Glad to see I am not crazy. The irony being I was going to message you for help with re-wiring my Mehano pacific, but I think the article covers what I need.

Boston&Maine 99 tonner

just finished decals on the 45 tonner need silver paint for trucks

Attachments

• 99 tons 001.jpg
    99 tons 001.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 99 tons 005.jpg
    99 tons 005.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 267
HA! I knew it Karl. I thought FOR SURE that B&O switcher in September Model Railroader looked like yours.. Glad to see I am not crazy. The irony being I was going to message you for help with re-wiring my Mehano pacific, but I think the article covers what I need.

Steve, You mean you got one of those Yugosloberrin Pacifics too? :rolleyes: I got one rolling around here, gotta get sound in it. I put an A-Line can is it, and now its so quiet it hides!!
WM209oilfired.JPG

Steve, You mean you got one of those Yugosloberrin Pacifics too? :rolleyes: I got one rolling around here, gotta get sound in it. I put an A-Line can is it, and now its so quiet it hides!!
WM209oilfired.JPG

I did, and I have no ill will towards its place of origin. In my other hobbies, I collect many things from Russia, Ukraine, and other eastern European countries so having a model train made in Yugoslavia doesn't faze me at all.

Plus it has the advantage of being my first operating steam loco.

Are those about as easy as the 0-4-0 looks? Also have those oversized flanges made trouble for you? I was surprised my pacific didn't fly off my code 83 track.

Last week, I posted pictures of Union Station. This train just departed Union Station and next passes downtown.

DowntownHeartland7_zps7889ee48.jpg

DowntownHeartland8_zps9781ebdd.jpg

GH2_zps293d1b3c.jpg

DowntownHeartland2_zps18607b4b.jpg

DowntownHeartland4_zps9b2bfeaf.jpg

DowntownHeartland9_zpsfe5323be.jpg

Are those about as easy as the 0-4-0 looks? Also have those oversized flanges made trouble for you? I was surprised my pacific didn't fly off my code 83 track.
Steve, The Pacific was not hard to DCC. When I 1st got it the original motor was noisy, so I remotored it. The flanges are not an issue for me. On code 70 they might be?

Thanks everybody for commenting on my layout photos.

The track surrounding downtown is a loop at the end of my layout's main line. If you look under the bridge in the second photo you can see loop tracks continuing onto the main line. .... Eventually, I will install streetcar wires. The Bachmann streetcar mechanisms are troublesome, and I need to make a change with them. .... The Union Station tracks use the same loop track as the mainline.

You may notice, the backdrop is a combination of various things. I used box tops of building kits for part of it.

Karl .... I like the 4-6-2. ....

Back