Are Kato and Micro-Trains couplers compatible?

Caveman Chuck

I'm getting back into N scale modeling after a break of about 10 years. My rolling stock is primarily Micro-Trains cars. I just got a new DCC Kato ES44AC locomotive today. I put it on a small switching layout I have set up at home and it moves around fine. The problem is that it won't couple to the Micro-Trains cars (which interferes with my switching operations).

Are the two couplers not compatible?

They both work by themselves, though as you have found out, they don't play very well together. Best thing is to simply get some MT couplers for your new locomotive.

They both work by themselves, though as you have found out, they don't play very well together. Best thing is to simply get some MT couplers for your new locomotive.

Thanks for the info. I've seen lots of people discussing changing the couplers and now I know why.

Kato and MTL couplers don't connect to each other when simply bumping them together. But I can lift one over the other and drop it into place. Then they stay connected just fine. However, nothing beats the near perfection of using MTL couplers on everything.

Back