Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I can't work on my layout until I get a paycheck coming in so's can get some supplies....but am keeping my microtrains N scale FT loco set lubed up and it hauls the 36 car train around about 18 feet of track really fast. Amazing how it all stays on the track at those speeds. Oh...yeah, occasionally there is a fairly realistic massive derailment and associated destruction with serious environmental impacts. Then the authorites get all bent out of shape and want to know what went wrong?....and start asking all kinds of questions. "Have you had the proper training?", "Did you know how fast you were going?" and all this nonsense. Sometimes I just feel like saying..."geeeezz...well excuuuuuuuuse meeeeee!!!!!".....you know? :rolleyes:

Say Rail Fan,
What a bummer to have those showing up after something like that happens. And on your own layout too!! Are you sure they don't snoop anywhere else in your place too?

Time for me to call it a night. Tried to call my mother to check on her but the line was dead. Could be one of two things. Something was wrong or the phone was off the hook. Either way I had to go down there and check it out. Turned ouy the phone was off the hook. She hadn't hung it up properly the last time she used it today.

Knee hurts quite a bit after all the activity today but it's stronger than it was yesterday and most of the bruising is gone.

See y'all tomorrow.

P1010578.jpg

Good Morning

60% chance of showers and a high of 69F today....tomorrow? Dull and a high near 85F...:rolleyes:

Yesterday's run was an adventure...we had 4 people and 6 things happened..all leading to derailments:eek:......in fact, one happened right in the middle of Williston...it took out 3 RS2's and 16 cars...plus...three stores and a tower...as well as an elevator:eek::(:mad:...dang stuck control.:mad:..another one took place at Sim's Jtn...took out another RS2 and 4 cars....and a diner:(......all these incidents and accidents will have the photos taken with the circles and arrows with a paragraph written on the back of them :eek::rolleyes:

What are the rr police saying as to the causes of the derailments? Is foul play suspected? How long before the tracks are repaired and trains are running the rails again? Any hazardous materials involved? Hopefully the citizenry are all safe and accounted for. Don't have any ex-Broake & Howe RR employees on the payroll do you? Sounds kind of suspicious to me.:):eek:

Good morning. It's 72° and cloudy with a 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms this morning and afternoon. The high is due to be 88°.

Today I'll see if I can get my parents yard cut before the rain hits. No other plans for today.

P1010130.jpg

Say Rail Fan,
What a bummer to have those showing up after something like that happens. And on your own layout too!! Are you sure they don't snoop anywhere else in your place too?
I suppose it's possible Trussrod. Lately I suspect robots are stealing my luggage. Don't ask why though...ha ha!

62 degrees and sunny now in mount gandywood with 83 and possible showers later on.

I came up with an idea I call Mike's theory of model train-a-tivity. Very loosely based on einsteins similar theory of the universe......mine deals with how when my long N scale (35+ car, FT A+B plus an FP7 A) train accelerates too fast, some cars fall over or uncouple or derail......but if I use the momentum feature on my mrc powerpack or just manually slowly increase speed, the train eventually runs at maximum speed indefinitely with no problems. After eight or so laps of this I've had enough and let the wheels cool down some. (where is that smoke coming from :confused:).

With a top heavy car like a tanker that wants to tip over sideways, I put it close to the front, then the extra tension on the couplers keeps it glued to the rails. Remember to always WATCH FOR TRAINS and SAFETY is our middle name.

Mike

Good Morning

60% chance of showers and a high of 69F today....tomorrow? Dull and a high near 85F...:rolleyes:

Yesterday's run was an adventure...we had 4 people and 6 things happened..all leading to derailments:eek:......in fact, one happened right in the middle of Williston...it took out 3 RS2's and 16 cars...plus...three stores and a tower...as well as an elevator:eek::(:mad:...dang stuck control.:mad:..another one took place at Sim's Jtn...took out another RS2 and 4 cars....and a diner:(......all these incidents and accidents will have the photos taken with the circles and arrows with a paragraph written on the back of them :eek::rolleyes:
So after a "fair and impartial" investigation, will railroad officials assign responsibility and punish the culprits?

I was just watching Richard Hammond's Crash Course as I enjoyed some fish, okra and hush puppies from Captain D's. This time around he was driving an M1 A1A2 Abram's tank. The tank commander had him drive it out onto an obstacle course where he was ordered to run over three classic cars. A 1979 Porsche 280, a 1970 Chevy Chevelle and a 1968 Ford Mustang. He was on the point of panic about each one but was told if he didn't run over them he would WALKING back. So the three cars got crushed. Afterward the commander let him off the hook. All three cars were junkers brought from a junk yard. You just see the relief washing over him. He wouldn't have to face the wrath of fellow car guys. Being a former car guy myself I had been supplementing my dinner with a steady diet of fingernail. Seeing that big tank rolling over those cars just sent chills racing up my spine.

Good Morning

So Barry,
Does that mean we are part of the investigation team? And what is the pay like for all the associated work that will be involved?

I've always felt being a RRdick would be interesting as long as I didn't have to deal with the Broake & Howe guys! They're rather a rough bunch from what I hear!
:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the rr police saying as to the causes of the derailments? Is foul play suspected? How long before the tracks are repaired and trains are running the rails again? Any hazardous materials involved? Hopefully the citizenry are all safe and accounted for. Don't have any ex-Broake & Howe RR employees on the payroll do you? Sounds kind of suspicious to me.:):eek:

Say Bob,
Sure glad you mentioned about the ex-Broake & Howe guys, I understand they can be trouble! :eek:

Those Broake & Howe guys got their reputations the old fashion way................they earned it!

:eek::eek: We need to check on that, stat!!!:eek:

--------------------------------------------

Good Evening

Kinda muggy and sticky out there tonight...posta get some shower thingees showing up later....:)

Had to do a bunch of stuff today ...one being to actually find a new soundcard for the pooter..as it done went and poofed on me....typical.:mad:

I'm going to go to the basement and redo a few things down there...namely some track needs relaid....again:mad::rolleyes::eek:

Good afternoon,
It turned cloudy here which should keep it cooler, lets see what the WU says:
Was Sunny but Now Cloudy;
Temperature 72.0 °F
Feels Like 74 °F
Wind(mph) 0.0
Sunrise / Set 6:02 AM / 7:49 PM
Moon Waxing Gibbous [I going to have to look up!]
More Astronomy
Today 75 °F and cloudy now;
Tonight Partly Cloudy 52 °F
Partly Cloudy

Did some work on the layout last night by spraying the black Central-Valley tie strip sections, 12" ea. an acrylic earth tone to kill the black look, while I waited for them to dry I started painting some the metal scale figures I had from before as well as the the new bunch I just received a few days back.

Then back to the tie strips which interlock slightly on each end which makes it nice in that you can move things around till you get them as you want them before starting to spike the rail down and hold them in position.

The new addition I added onto the front of the Five Oaks ares allows for a long siding and I want to add another small business like small tie saw operation and don't want the tracks all running parrallel to one another but that seems to be how it's turning out anyway. I'll see what happens?

Hey Gents,

Just dropping in to say hello and give a quick update.

Just under 2 weeks ago i passed my road test and became a licensed NYS driver. My test was completed before 10am, by 430 that evening i went and signed the papers on my first car, an 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo :D Filling the tank for the first time wasnt as horrible as I thought it would be, and i should be good for a few more days. Ill take filling up once every 2 weeks :) Pictures to come upon request :cool:

Work has been insanely busy. Knock on wood, Ive quickly become one of the higher performers in my department which im very proud of. Not to much going on in the trains world as all my money has been going back into my car in the form of my down payment. Heres to hoping thatll change in the coming weeks !

Anyone heard on Corey lately? Maybe ive missed Secondhandmodelers posts but it seems to me his been AWOL for awhile now. Same with Chris :confused:

Take care everyone

Hi Matt & Congrats,
Good to hear from you again, you must have been busy getting a car for yourself. Keep your presence of mind on what your doing while driving and always expect the unexpected from other drivers. Also stay as far away from others as possible, ride the open spots as best as you can so if you need to maneuver you can.

Enjoy and talk with you soon!

Ps: It seems Corey posted somewhat recently but I'm not sure just when?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that was too quick. My Win7 Pro 64-bit found everything except the finger reader and the vista 64 bit driver worked just fine. I actually typed on the newly loaded (actually the same old machine) Win 7 machine. I just need to get the second 4Gb memory module in place and it will be a lot faster than the 2Gb Xp machine it was.
Sounds like good results Patrick. In 2005 after a few basic computer classes I built three WinXP-Pro micro towers from parts I hand picked after reading hundreds of reviews. They are seven years old now, two are still in use and work fine, the third worked until three months ago and either needs a power supply, or maybe re-seating video card or memory. Hoping I can stay in school now and get the degree.

Mike

Oh where oh where has inspiration gone, oh where, oh where could it be?:rolleyes:

I've got 1 Alco PA, just put in a sound decoder, still have to hook up the lights, 2 proto BL2's to put sound decoders in for a friend, 3 chop nosed, sound equipped GP9's that need paint, and a GP38-3 that needs the sound decoder installed as well as paint, and no , and I mean no inspiration to do any of it. Not to mention 4 or 5 other "project" loco's to work on, that need paint, decoders or total rebuilds..

Also there are a dozen freight car kits to do, and 2 large tubs of unbuilt structures! No get up and go there either!:eek:

So, how do you guys keep away from, or recover from burn out?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back