Chicago Subway

airport1246

Station Agent
Hello All,

If you have read my previous posts, you know that I am modelling Chicago Union Station in HO scale. Looking at my layout, I have a strip of land along one edge that I would like to turn into a highway, with a subway running down the median. I was wondering what was out there in terms of chicago subway cars...because all i've seen is NYC subway cars. Any help on this? Also, i'm somewhat limited by cost, so i'd be willing to take some "shortcuts", to save money.

Thanks

Hello! It's been a while since I've seen you posting. Try this link: http://islandmodelworks.com/Chicago.html
I don't have any of there products but they look good. They do require quite a bit of work and not too cheap once you get everything you need, That said, they do have just about every major type of car to run in Chicago and they're the only game in town. I'm deciding what vintage equipment I want for my own 'el system. I'll be interested to know what you think of them if you should buy.

Yeah, it's been a while since i've had time to post.
I looked at those cars...They're neat, and would definitely work...but a bit expensive. Probably a hard to find item, so this is probably about the only option.:(

Thanks for the help

Hello! It's been a while since I've seen you posting. Try this link: http://islandmodelworks.com/Chicago.html
I don't have any of there products but they look good. They do require quite a bit of work and not too cheap once you get everything you need, That said, they do have just about every major type of car to run in Chicago and they're the only game in town. I'm deciding what vintage equipment I want for my own 'el system. I'll be interested to know what you think of them if you should buy.

You might look up IslandModelWorks. You should be able to find them on the web.

Thats a good idea Carl :p

Options besides islandmodelworks

Q-Car Company
Imperial Hobby Products
Funnaro & Cameralo(spelling)
Model Memories
OK Streamliners

Chicago subway cars are a very niche market. By their very nature at this point, due to the small production runs, if you can find a model, its going to be more expensive, than a more mass produced version. Other option is to scratchbuild what you want-takes more time, however.

Good luck, whatever you do!

Back