Manufactures going out of business?

Say Brad,
It seems I had both of those suppliers available to me through my distributor too but it does seem the economy is having a vast effect on almost everything these days.

I haven't had direct contact with either of these places but it could well be they are also feeling the squeeze or crunch as the case may be.

I miss the original Model Die Casting/ Roundhouse folding to Atheren as it seems the multitude of kits avaiable through them have vanished and that's unfortunate as with many of the other older kit manufacturer's too. It seems as though, at least for MRR'ing things are heading down the wrong path and at a time when it would seem more might like to get into the hobby and stay home more.

Lets hope things change.

DW isn't going anywhere as he is actually adding more items to his line and is very busy working on more new items.

DW isn't going anywhere as he is actually adding more items to his line and is very busy working on more new items.

Well this is good to know, I was a little worried and like you said they must have been doing a site update because I can hit it now. I just hope that the same holds true for Oregon Rail Supply. They have some great looking signals and I would hate to see that supply dry up and disappear.

Saying as I just completed a two target signal in brass and plastic all ready to mount to the layout only to demolish it a few days later when I didn't notice it and layed my forearm down on it, Doh!:eek::mad:

It seems that Internation Hobby Corp (IHC) has gone MIA also. Their website (www.ihc-hobby.com) has been down for quite some time.

This shouldn't really be a surprise. Their main supplier Mehano, has been in financial trouble for several years. Plus, I was told by the only exclusive IHC dealer here, that the company, (Mehano), is bankrupt and has closed.

An Demoteable Error

Saying as I just completed a two target signal in brass and plastic all ready to mount to the layout only to demolish it a few days later when I didn't notice it and layed my forearm down on it, Doh!:eek::mad:

That's really unfortunate Brad but the line Supertendant will probably be around to talk with Ya and I understand he he tough so you can expect to be demoted from line superintendent and engineer, at least for awhile. :) LoL

I don't know if you might be interested or not but I have some NJ? working Semiphore signals and maybe a block signal or two that I'm not going to use as they are too modern and mainline for my layout. :)

Might try giving them a call:
Oregon Rail Supply
53318 Flint Drive,
Scappoose, OR 97056
(503) 543-6466‎

CJ, I don't know where the IHC dealer got his information, but Mehano is going strong. Their website is at http://www.mehano.si/?PID=21. They are now selling under their own name and no longer sell through IHC, so maybe the dealer was confused by them severing ties with IHC. My late wife was Slovenian and I have been to Slovenia a couple of times. Her second cousin is the sales manager for Mehano and we talk by e-mail on a regular basis. He said that Mehano has had a big slowdown in business over the past two years, like other European train manufacturers. Luckily for Mehano, they also make a broad line of children's toys, and those sales have held up pretty well. Alen says train sales are starting to pick up again and they expect to be selling American prototype models through US distributors by the summer. Check out the ATSF 4-6-4 with LocSound at http://www.mehano.si/?PID=21&CID=40&ID=526. Alen sent me a video of the production model and it looks and sounds pretty impressive. They'll be using Kadee's on the US imports and Alen says they hope to keep the price at around USD 250.

CJ, I don't know where the IHC dealer got his information, but Mehano is going strong... He said that Mehano has had a big slowdown in business over the past two years, like other European train manufacturers. Luckily for Mehano, they also make a broad line of children's toys, and those sales have held up pretty well...

Jim;

Believe it or not, that's good news to me. The dealer got his info from IHC directly, and consisdering who is IHC, I felt the info was suspect.

One thing this hobby needs are manufacturers who can supply steam locos that are good quality at a fair price. Although I don't own any Mehano/IHC locos, they are of that quality and price, so someone without a lot of money can get a steam loco without getting a second mortgage.

Edit: That 4-6-4 looks real good, even with the "photoshopped", smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
CJ, LOL, I told Alen the picture looked a little hokey too. :) He said they have the tooling for a couple of "IHC" steam engines that they are upgrading and hoping to get to market for the holidays. They've been concentrating on the European market for the past couple of years, but really want to get back into the US market as a recognizable name, and have the Mehano name associated with quality models. Slovenia is still a relatively low wage country for Europe, so they are doing everything they can to keep the production in Slovenia and not move it offshore. I hope they are successful. It would be nice to get some quality steam locomotives with sound for less than $300.

I noticed the Mehano website did not list a US distributor. I sure miss IHC since they sold a lot of good kitbash fodder. Their rebranded line of old HO Pola structures could be turned into all sorts of good things and I liked being able to get creative with the locomotives without worrying about losing a fortune if I screwed up. It is funny how a little paint can change the whole character of an inexpensive plastic kit. The little SP 2-6-0's are my favorites; they run well and are quite easy to add DCC decoders to.

Mehano expects to have an American distributor by summer. I'm not at liberty to say more, but it will be a major distributor. If things go right, you should be seeing Mehano models on your LHS shelves by fall.

Back