Ebay fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICG/SOU

HO & O (3-rail) trainman
I've only been into getting an item here or there on Ebay for about a year, and noticed just the last few weeks of things getting crazy. 3 months ago, stuff I bid on would not get a second look. Now it seems people have come out of the woodwork and bidding in the last few hours, frequently outbidding my highest bid and they win.

Did someone win the lottery out there and I didn't know about it? $36 for an Accurail ACF hopper? I guess they don't realize that an undecorated model with decals and time and effort is still less than $36 plus shipping.

Go figure.

Maybe i need to get back on ebay and start selling, i had to stop because i either wasnt getting any bids, or the bids i was getting were all low and nobody was bidding on them there after and the stuff was selling for prices i didnt want them to sell for lol. This was all brand new never opened stuff as well.... If people are starting to bid again, it could be a sign to get back on their and try another shot at selling some model stuff (rolling stock, engines, structure kits) i have laying around :cool:

Its still really hit or miss. Some items I've sold recently have amazed me at the prices, a few could be bought new for less:confused: Then there are others that get no bids that you are almost giving away, its makes no sense half the time.

I have learned that unless you have to get a certain price it is better to list it for $.99 as a start price, you get much more action. There are several items I had listed that got no bids so I re-listed for $.99 and they ended up selling for twice what they had been originally listed for, people are funny like that!

Christmas is coming soon. Seems eBay bidders get a little nuts this time of year. After a while things will slow down again. At least that's what I've seen over the years.

sorry...I was drawn in here by the words "Ebay" and "fun"...

Never thought I'd see those words together...;)

I don't think the holidays have anything to do w/Ebay prices & I don't think it will slow down anytime soon. As soon as the newspapers & TV said we were out of the depression the bidding went crazy. I haven't bid on anything for about 3 months because people are crazy. If I see something that I can afford(those days are gone) I always bid on it the last 3 to 10 seconds. When I 1st started I didn't know about the instant bid button until I got beat out on something I really wanted. These people that start the high bids on & item 7 days out should have their heads examined. I rarely lose a bid now & I try to do them after 11:00PM when most people are sleeping.

It just depends on what you are looking for. I buy quite a few craftsman kits for both structures and rolling stock. Prices on those are getting higher all the time but recently I have been bidding on a bunch of Bachmann locos for some 0n30 kit bashs I am doing. I got what I thought were very reasonable prices on them. These are all brand new. I bought 1 DCC 70 tonner for $22.00, 1 DCC 44 tonner for $28.00, 3 DCC ready 44 tonners for $31.00 each on buy it now, 2 0n30 0-4-0 siderod locos with DCC for $33.00 each and 2 DCC railtrucks for $35.00 each. Next on the list is some Shays. They have been going for $60.00-$80.00. I commonly see detail items selling for almost 2 times full retail. Thats what happens when people don't research what they are buying. I also think that is why prices can get crazy at times.

Larry, there is a holiday effect and I see it every year. People get the train set out to put around the tree and decide to get a new engine or a few more cars. They have no idea what the items are really worth, they just want them. I agree there has been more bidding since the recession was officialy declared over but most closing prices are still below where they were last year, especially on high end stuff and brass.

I had noticed this too. A few things i was looking at were way out priced and people were bidding on them 7 days out running prices up . I`m like larry why would you bid on something 7 days out?:eek: that is just crazy

people have come out of the woodwork and bidding in the last few hours, frequently outbidding my highest bid and they win.
Go figure.
ehmm, thats the idea . they call it auction for a reason.
and if you want a particular item, why would you bid any other time then during those last seconds? any good deal will always get sniped.

don't just bid, bid to win (and that doesn't mean bid crazy money)

ADD
i never bid for an item unless its seconds till the end. i will set alarm clock if i want it that much. if i miss it, oh well, i would have been snipped anyways, at least i'm not screwing it up for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the most part, I started at just the "buy it now" things that I liked. When I started bidding, I was a little naive and wouldn't bid on something that only had 2 days left if others had been bidding on it, since they probably wanted it more than me anyway. Well, two incidents lately ticked me off, one involving a set of coal cars that I caught the listing for right before it ending, but didn't have the money for. The auction ended with no buyers, but wasn't relisted for 2 weeks. I put a bid on them when they were relisted, and in the last 30 minutes someone came along and outbid me.

The next time was another item that I thought was cool, and put in a bid. I put in the max I wanted to pay ($25), and a guy started bidding up. So I escalated. I finally stopped at $35, because we had entered the absurd price range. I let him win. Of course, a week later it is relisted, and find out the guy I was bidding against didn't pay.

Im they type of person that will wait untill an item is no longer considered new and a must have. I wait untill the price falls to 50% of retail and then move in. sale items and blowouts are cool to find and dont brake the bank. I think this is one of the reasons I have so much stuff and I dont feel that I paid to much for it. Ebay is great as you will find lots of people fire saling items or people that did not know what they had gotten into.

you do need to be carefull as there are people that try to hide issues.

I have bought a lot of HO equipment on ebay in the last couple of years. I've noticed the amount of money people are willing to bid goes in cycles. Besides the holidays, tax return time also seems to start the bidding wars.

I will often bid early at the max price I'm willing to pay and just let the auction run. Been outbid at the last second a few times but to me that's just the way ebay works.

I've also bought things there that have always gone for way more then I would pay for next to nothing. The old Concor TOFC combos for my RR the IC usually go for somewhat more then $20.00 a piece. I threw out a bid on an auction for 3 of them and ended up buying them for around $12.00 for the trio. There are still deals to be had, you just have to be patient and find them.

Jeff

Dang. Outbid again on another Accurail covered hopper. The bidding started at $4 or so, and got up to $25. It's funny how kits only seem to sell on Ebay, even for 2 and 3 times what they were new.

I have learned that unless you have to get a certain price it is better to list it for $.99 as a start price, you get much more action. There are several items I had listed that got no bids so I re-listed for $.99 and they ended up selling for twice what they had been originally listed for,
Nothing surprising there, that is standard auction mentality. I am actually amazed that many (most) ebay sellers don't realize this.

You get people interested with something really cheap and then they become possessive and competitive about it.

Using ebay as a "retail store" wastes its potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trey, i still see no "incident". you were bidding, you got outbid, thats how it works. perhaps the guy realised where that bid war with you brought him and decided " screw that, i'm not paying that much"

I will often bid early at the max price I'm willing to pay and just let the auction run. Been outbid at the last second a few times but to me that's just the way ebay works.

Jeff, when you play a game, why would you open your cards to opponent? same here. if you really want that item you bidding on, why not bid to win instead of just guess-bid.

Nothing surprising there, that is standard auction mentality. I am actually amazed that many (most) ebay sellers don't realize this.
exactly.

just look at the athearn blue box prices on ebay,things that would normaly go for under 20.00 they are now over 30.00.just amazing how ebay has changed over the last 5 years on prices.

Bidding on e-Bay is a crap shoot....with the odds stacked against the casual bidder.

If you want to up your chances of winning an auction, learn how to snipe. Sniping is an online bidding website NOT associated with e-Bay. You register, buy bidding points, place a bid and choose when you want the bid placed on an auction and wait. No one knows you're going to bid on the item. The seller doesn't know you're interested, either unless you put it in your watched file. At the proper time, the snipe website places your bid for you. You don't need to be watching when the auction ends. Your computer doesn't even need to be turned on! If you lose, there's no charge; if you win, the charge is minimal (like 1 cent per dollar valuation).

You can win more frequently with sniping, but you have to do your homework. Know what the item is worth. Research what similar items have sold for. Look at the bids on auctions that are about to end to see what others have bid. If the price is already too rich for you, don't bother. Another will be along soon. Develop patience! I waited two years to get my N scale Rivarossi Big Boy for under $200 when most of them were selling for over $300. Patience paid off. Wanting an item badly can cost you money! If you can't walk away from an overpriced auction, you probably should avoid auctions altogether! LOL

You won't always win. Why? Because there's ALWAYS somebody willing to pay more than you AND many of those bidders use sniping to get what they want.

I recently watched an auction languish for 6 days with only two bids on it - my 99 cent bid and the guy who originally outbid me by a nickel. No action for 6 days. I put a snipe bid on it, bidding a little higher than what I would have wanted to pay but not more than I was willing to pay. I set my snipe for 1 second before auction close. The bidding closed at $15 and I won. LOTS of bidding activity at the end, but my slightly overbid pricing won out.

On another auction a few weeks ago, I lost out when the snipe bidding went completely ridiculous. I happened to be watching the auction at the end and was sure I was going to win. The high bid of $105 was days old and my last second snipe bid was for $135. With seconds to go, I was sure I would win. BANG! End of auction and the final bid was almost $180! I was out-sniped by another sniper, all withing ONE SECOND of auction close! Can't win 'em all!

I see a lot of auctions that have no activity for days, then the bidding gets fast and furious when all the snipe bids hit in the last few seconds. That's why it's important to be realistic with your bidding.

Speaking of realistic, I will never understand the bidding mentality of some buyers. An item is listed with a low starting price. With 7 days until auction end, you'd think that anyone interested would just watch the auction, not jump into the bidding process. Yet I often see two or more buyers bidding each other up, often beyond the real value of the item, and with several days still left in the auction. It's like someone is saying "I MUST be the top bidder! I MUST! I MUST!" What a nimrod! You only have the high bid UNTIL SOMEONE ELSE OUTBIDS YOU! And they'll outbid you for the minimum bid increase, be it a nickle, a quarter, a dollar or whatever. They'll outbid you for cheap money. And if you MUST be the high bidder, you'll end up bidding again and again and again, just to see your name on the top of the list. Then you'll get sniped at the end of the auction and lose anyway! When I'm the seller, you can bet I'm sitting back, watching the idiot bidding and clapping my hands with joy!

As a buyer, I almost never bid on an item that already has a bid on it. I'll open the auction bidding occassionally, but I won't bid again until the end, and then I snipe it if there's been no idiot bidding.

I win far more than I lose and I win at a price that I'm completely content with. When I lose, I lose, and no regrets. Someone was willing to pay more, that's all.

So if you want to increase your chances of winning on e-Bay, start sniping.

Darrell, quiet...for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back