PDA

View Full Version : Walthers 90' turntable kit: Is it really a 'dog'?

CSX_road_slug
11-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

Looks like Walthers is desperately trying to unload their 90-foot turntable kits ( http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/5-3171 ), they have them on sale for $26! Trouble is, I've heard alot of people say they positively hate these things. I don't know if it's because they are hard to mechanize, have poorly engineered parts, crappy instructions or whatever; but I've been needing some kind of turntable for a small engine servicing facility ever since I first designed my layout. At 90' it's a perfect fit, and that price makes it hard to resist.

I have no intention of motorizing it, I'm perfectly content to use 0-5-0 power:D And I'm no stranger to building complicated kits - I've done the Walthers Blast Furnace - so the assembly part doesn't worry me.

So tell me: Am I setting myself up for major frustration/dissappointment?

SpaceMouse
11-14-2007, 02:50 PM
If you're going to spin it by hand I don't see how you can go wrong.

The ) ruins your link.

CBCNSfan
11-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Error -- Part number Not Found
I tried to have a look and got the above on a Walthers page, wonder if someone got fired! Would have been a great price though.

Cheers Willis

CSX_road_slug
11-14-2007, 03:07 PM
The ) ruins your link.

I tried to have a look and got the above on a Walthers page, wonder if someone got fired! ...

Sorry guys, I forgot about the url tags that get automatically inserted when I post a link! :o
It's been corrected: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/5-3171

NYC_George
11-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi all,

Looks like Walthers is desperately trying to unload their 90-foot turntable kits ( http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/5-3171 ), they have them on sale for $26! Trouble is, I've heard alot of people say they positively hate these things. I don't know if it's because they are hard to mechanize, have poorly engineered parts, crappy instructions or whatever; but I've been needing some kind of turntable for a small engine servicing facility ever since I first designed my layout. At 90' it's a perfect fit, and that price makes it hard to resist.

I have no intention of motorizing it, I'm perfectly content to use 0-5-0 power:D And I'm no stranger to building complicated kits - I've done the Walthers Blast Furnace - so the assembly part doesn't worry me.

So tell me: Am I setting myself up for major frustration/dissappointment?

I have one and it works well motorized an all, but I did lots and lots of redesign. I'll post some details later on.

NYC_George

http://mysite.verizon.net/swal/turn_table.JPG

Larry
11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I bought 1 at a train show for $5 & haven't put it together yet.
I bought 1 about 5 years ago & it was a bear to assemble. I redisigned it & made it work. If you can figure out how to put a set of steel wheels on the turntable & a rail to the bed wall for better control it would work like 1 of those $500.00 ones. The biggest problem I had back then was getting the gears to match up to the motor w/out a lot of noise, etc. If you're good w/complicated kits, $26 bucks is cheap from Walthers.

Larry

CSX_road_slug
11-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanx for the replies, y'all! Sounds about like what I expected to hear.

Now about the instructions: Are they step-by-step, or just an 'exploded' diagram?

Larry
11-14-2007, 05:41 PM
This late at nite I'll have to look in the box tomorrow. CRS

Larry

jbaakko
11-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Ken, one reason the kit version is so cheap, is that they're trying to push the built up version, ala the 130'. So all the kit versions are on clearance, Ect...

Check it out, there's another 2 part numbers for 90' turn tables.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2840
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3171

CanuckMark
11-15-2007, 05:36 AM
Man, I wish shipping to Canada wasn't so expensive. I'd pick one of these up.

One q - in the title bar it says "Turntable Kit w/ motor"...so is that a typo?

Mark

CSX_road_slug
11-15-2007, 06:30 AM
One q - in the title bar it says "Turntable Kit w/ motor"...so is that a typo?

It sure is! In the fine print of the description paragraph, it says the motor is "sold separately."

CanuckMark
11-15-2007, 07:58 AM
It sure is! In the fine print of the description paragraph, it says the motor is "sold separately."

Yeah, saw that as well. Could be a good argument topic with the company though... :)

Mark

CSX_road_slug
11-15-2007, 01:18 PM
As luck would have it, my LHS (MB Klein) has the exact same TT on sale for $32; if I order it from Walthers direct, it's $26 + shipping = $33! So close, what to do? Well, I don't really need the thing right away, so if I go with Walthers I'll save a 90-minute round trip drive to Klein's as well as ga$ money.

BTW Mark, Walthers is aware of that online catalog typo - one of their saleswomen mentioned that they're 'working on' correcting it!

NZRMac
11-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Must have a typo cause now it says w/o motor

ziggy
12-30-2007, 03:49 PM
To NYC George.

I would also like to see your redesign tips. I have just completed on and it skips

Ziggy

Larry
12-30-2007, 05:17 PM
I saw 1 at a train show about 2 years ago & they had added a pulley at the bottom where the shaft extends down & they powered it w/a 12v. windshield wiper motor out of a junk car. It really worked nice. The guy had made an indexing kit for it out of some junk. He was trying to sell it for $200.00.
It also had a pc. of brass track around the wall of the turntable & brass wheels mounted on the beam. So, I'm sure w/a little engineering of sorts U can make it work for you. I gave mine to a friend to put it together & he brought it back & said it was to complicated for him.

Larry

NYC_George
12-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Zizzy I didn't built it per instructions. I made many changes. Right now I'm tring to finish my viaduct and adding a second main to the upper deck. I'll try and get it to you, but I can't tell you when. It will be a while.

NYC_George

wheeler1963
12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Just came across this on ebay if anyone is interested in the turntable, motor, and a bunch of stalls.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-scale-roundhouse-and-turntable-with-extensions_W0QQitemZ270200103136QQihZ017QQcategory Z117371QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NYSW F45
12-30-2007, 08:15 PM
wow. if i didn't have to deposit all the paypal money i got from selling old ho stuff i'de so buy that right now. But still $26 for a turntable isn't bad. I may end up ordering one just to have for now. My future layout does call for one. Is 90' big enough for most modern diesels?

RexHea
12-30-2007, 09:17 PM
My CMR turntable uses small bearings for wheels with a brass tube as the axle. Maybe this would work on the turntable???

OldGettysk
12-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Looks nice but that shipping is a bit much .

CNR Glen
01-04-2008, 11:57 AM
A fellow in my Club bought one and almost quit the hobby because of it. He told me the engineering is such that the gearbox can't be adjusted since everything is glued together. he eventually had to do alot of mods to it before he could make it work properly.

Santa Fe Jack
10-23-2014, 03:08 PM
My 90' programmable turntable just died. This is the Walther Built-Up one, 933-2840. It was a great unit, and visitors were always impressed at how it went to each of the roundhouse tracks square on. Me, too.

Now Walthers is telling me "tough luck". They no longer support it. What do they expect people to do? It's not like i can just rip it out -- it is under a bunch of installed and wired track and scenery!

Has anyone else had this problem?
If so, what solution did you come up with?