PDA

View Full Version : Trainland/Trainworld and Wholesaletrains.com

slopes09
06-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Has anybody ever dealt with either Trainland/Trainworld.com (trainland.com) or Wholesaletrains.com (www.wholesaletrains.com)? I'm thinking of ordering some stuff from either of them, but can't find any reviews of either, and I'd rather find out about them before I order from them.
Thanks,
-Mike

SpaceMouse
06-26-2007, 08:21 AM
I and most others who have posted have found that Trainworld is excellent as long as you know what you want. It is almost impossible to order online because the site doesn't give separate item numbers to different road names. When you call, it is helpful to know exactly what you want because the clerks know nothing. For instance if you are ordering an Atlas GP-38, it is very helpful to have Atlas's item number for the road name you want. They often can look up your road name, but it is a slow process.

But the price is great and they are fast and reliable shippers.

grande man
06-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Chip hit the nail on the head. Trainworld is a reputable outfit with awesome closeout prices. Shop with confidence.

Smoke
06-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I just placed an order with wholesaletrains.com I ordered on the phone but haven't got my email yet. I called him and he said they had to "clean out" my account. I'll call them tomorrow to find out what is going on. I'll let you know how it turns out.

-Smoke

HaggisKennedy
06-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Well, don't go to Trainland/Trainworld in person, or you might get rubbed out like Bobby Bacala... :D

You're right on when you say you have to have stock numbers listed when you call. You'll probably get that woman with the killer Brooklyn accent, and if you're hemming and hawing, you'll probably hear her say "I ain't got all day, hon..."...

Other than that, they're pretty good.

:D

Kennedy

railkid94
07-16-2007, 11:33 PM
I just placed an order with wholesaletrains.com I ordered on the phone but haven't got my email yet. I called him and he said they had to "clean out" my account. I'll call them tomorrow to find out what is going on. I'll let you know how it turns out.

-Smoke

So how did it turn out? Im thinking of buying from them.

railkid94
07-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Smoke???? Did it come alright??? I want to buy from them soon because there prices are so low. Thanks

willb
08-21-2007, 10:11 PM
i have ordered from wholesale trains and had good service from them. i have also tried several others. it pays to shop around the different online companies as some will have a better price for the same item.

spinner223
09-24-2007, 09:18 PM
I just wanted to relate my experiences with wholesaletrains.com. To make a long story short, it was one of the worst online purchases I have ever made. They routinely mislead customers about the availability of merchandise. Listings on their website will promise that a particular item will ship within days. In truth, it can (and usually does) take weeks or months before an item will be shipped. They are totally unresponsive to emails. They will also attempt to charge a restocking fee, even when they don't actually have the item in stock . All in all, I can only say that I wish I had done more research about them before I spent any money. Don't fall for their promises and don't be misled by prices that seem so reasonable. It was a miserable experience and I will NEVER do business with them again.

jbaakko
09-24-2007, 11:01 PM
I dunno if Wholesale was the one I tried to get my S&S air grills from, but if it was, I HATED the experience. They only replied to my "Cancel my order" email, never any of the "When the HE** are you going to send this".

spinner223
09-25-2007, 07:01 AM
yeah, that sounds like them

UP2CSX
12-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Umm, Emil, are you really Gene of Gene's Grand Central Station. It appears that way. I don't personally have a problem with it but I think you should identify yourself when making comments about competitors.

ganerd
01-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Has anybody ever dealt with either Trainland/Trainworld.com (trainland.com) or Wholesaletrains.com (www.wholesaletrains.com)? I'm thinking of ordering some stuff from either of them, but can't find any reviews of either, and I'd rather find out about them before I order from them.
Thanks,
-Mike

Believe me...u do not want o deal with them!!!

Recently I made an almost $350 order of items that was "SUPPOSED" to be in stock. Finally about eight weeks later I received a package of only about one forth of the order. The package was about $125 PLUS a whopping $40 shipping and handling charges attached to it. I received no email or other contact stating why, until I made numerous calls finally catching someone there. They were rude and unconcerned as to my lack of satisfactions with them. But was more than happy to place another order with another whopping handling charge on it.

What good is it to have low prices if they are going to jack it up with excessive shipping and handling??? Furthermore, why order only what they CLAIMED to have is stock if their website is deliberately misleading??? That is just false and misleading advertisement. I would have come out better buying retail that gives free shipping. There was no stated amount anywhere on their site that alerted me to HOW MUCH handling charges would be charged. They just add what ever they feel like at the time. Companies like that cast a negative shadow on all the internet commerce as well as discourage newbies from entering the hobby.

If we want to encourage growth in this hobby, we need to tell the truth about companies like this and get them off the internet.

I dont think anyone would give you a good rating unless they are getting some sort of kick back on it. I am reporting my experience to all who listen including the BBB.

UP2CSX
01-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Just read the return policy at http://www.wholesaletrains.com/ReturnPolicy.asp and see if you think customer satisfation is their #1 priority. I also never patronize retailers that want you to sign up for "buyer's clubs" since you almost never save enough money to justify the cost.

Gyro
03-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Has anybody ever dealt with either Trainland/Trainworld.com (http://trainland.com) or Wholesaletrains.com (http://www.wholesaletrains.com)? I'm thinking of ordering some stuff from either of them, but can't find any reviews of either, and I'd rather find out about them before I order from them.
Thanks,
-Mike

Have ordered occasionally from them for over 40 years. The trick with them is to order by PHONE, not through the internet! Tell them before you order that you DO NOT WANT ANY PARTIAL SHIPMENTS and to make this note on their order sheet. The P&H of partial shipments will kill any and all savings!!

Immediately upon receiving an incomplete order, check the receipt that comes in the box against the list of items you ordered, make a list of the items actually received, then call them and ask when you can expect to receive the rest of the order. THEN say "by the way, please check you store documentation. I specified NO PARTIAL SHIPMENTS. Prepare to wait as they put you on hold. If they just put the phone down, listen in, being prepared to lya off.

Trainworld/Trainland (one store is in Brooklyn, the other in Lynbrook, Long Island, both in NY State) was better under the direction of the founder, but he passed away over 5 years ago, so you're dealing with his kids. In my opinion, They don't seem to be as dedicated to customer satisfaction as the founder was, but the service is still OK as long as you meet them 90% of the way to taking care of sticky details yourself. Make every effort you can to avoid misunderstandings. New Yorkers (in "The City") tend to view residents of the other 49 states as morons and don't like to be yelled at, so keep your communications, short, sweet, and to the point (nudge-nudge, wink-wink). They have nothing in common with "staties".

I wuz eddicated in Bwooklyn, so I know!

Their ads, printed monthly in Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman, contain fairly complete purchasing rules, and the instructions are fairly comprehensive as well. USE A MAGNIFYING LENS AND READ EVERYTHING AS IF YOU WERE SPENDING YOUR LAST DIME THERE. You'll need a magnifier anyhow unless you're extremely nearsighted, otherwise you'll end up missing some good deals buried in the very fine print.

Gyro

ganerd
03-15-2011, 03:01 PM
You said, "The trick with them is to order by PHONE, not through the internet!"
ROTF LOL!!!
If I cant TRUST someone to get the order right when I ordered it IN WRITING, how can I trust or even expect they will get it right via PHONE CALL??? Must be the company owners in disguise or paid by them to lie. LOL

402drvr
03-23-2011, 10:10 PM
I went through Wholesale trains once and was mostly happy. I got most of what I ordered. One thing I didn;t get was a road kit, which in the long run I was happy about. They didn't charge for the kit and said it would ship later. never did ship and that was a couple years ago. Might use them again but I don't know. Charging for multiple shipping because you failed to have an item in stock that you sold me is not a great way to do business in my opinion.